Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default What to do for humidification?

Well here is the set-up i have. I just got a Vino not to long ago and started off with a cigar-oasis. I noticed the hygrometer on the oasis was not right and i had to set at 73% and to get avg humidity of 64-55% inside the vino(I have 3 digital hygros, one on each level). I went on to get it filled up and wanted to add some beads to try and even it out along with a oust fan as the top level was reading higher than the bottom. Well with oasis set at 73% and adding the beads, after a couple days the avg humidity was around 71%. So i turn the oasis back down to 65%. Now the problem i have is the humidity is 60%, oasis is set at 65%, oasis hygrometer says its 70% in there. My plan was when i open it the oasis would help bring the humidity back up quick and the lb of beads would even it all out as i have them spread out very well. But if the oasis is reading 70% it will never kick on so the only humidification device is the beads.

The cigar oasis has a short cartridge and i did the water crystal conversion to it. I am wondering if that could be causing the hygrometer on the oasis to be off.

Now my question is should I...

1. Get a bigger cartridge to see if that helps the hygrometer on the oasis?

2. Or try to explain to someone what the deal with the oasis is and sell it and the fan kit as it and then get 2 more Lbs of beads?

3. Any other ideas?

Has anyone had any issues with their oasis hygrometer not reading correctly?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What to do for humidification?

ummm i have 1 destop, and 2 65L coolers....they all have digital RH readers, and have oust fans as well...i use floral beads, they work great....RH is steady and there little up keep for them
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Just stick with beads and a fan or two. I had active humidification in my cabinet and found that the only advantage was that it move air with the fans. Took out the Hydra and the beads did a sufficient job of maintaining humidity.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Straight beades = no worries!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

That's what I went to straight beads with a computer fan in my vinos. Sorry to hear the oasis isn't working out for you.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
That's what I went to straight beads with a computer fan in my vinos. Sorry to hear the oasis isn't working out for you.
Hey its all good. I'm going to very slowly set the humidity back up on the oasis and see if i can find the right spot for it. If I can't get it then ill just move on to only beads.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I use a hydra in each of my winadors along with 40oz. of beads.
I set the hydras 2 or 3% below the RH%age I want to keep. If your vino is plugged in the fan should run constantly. (My winadors didn't have fans, I installed them and run them 24/7.)
If you make sure to leave space for the air to go up and down along the back and sides, your vino's fan will do a great job of circulating the air, you don't need a supplementary fan.
By doing this, my winadors stay rock solid at 63%, which is right where I like them.
If I want to bump things up a bit, all I have to do is raise the hydras a couple points and they'll recondition my beads for me.
This system only works with my HCM beads, because they'll assume the average RH level dictated by the hydra and work along with it to keep things static.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I use a hydra in each of my winadors along with 40oz. of beads.
I set the hydras 2 or 3% below the RH%age I want to keep. If your vino is plugged in the fan should run constantly. (My winadors didn't have fans, I installed them and run them 24/7.)
If you make sure to leave space for the air to go up and down along the back and sides, your vino's fan will do a great job of circulating the air, you don't need a supplementary fan.
By doing this, my winadors stay rock solid at 63%, which is right where I like them.
If I want to bump things up a bit, all I have to do is raise the hydras a couple points and they'll recondition my beads for me.
This system only works with my HCM beads, because they'll assume the average RH level dictated by the hydra and work along with it to keep things static.

That is what i was wanting to have happen. So this will not work with heartfelt beads then? And that still leaves me with the problem of the hygrometer inside the oasis being way off.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Straight beades = no worries!
I agree...just stick to the beads.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I agree...just stick to the beads.
shilala beads are where its at

They are in everything I own from vinos to desktops.

Chas