Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Falcon Pipe - Brilliant Smoker With A Learning Curve

If you grow up playing with a slingshot you may never learn how far and fast (and deadly accurate) a lemon-sized stone can be hurled with a fiber sling. I gotta tell you, Goliath was probably big but his forehead wasn't. Same with fishing - you can have a lifetime of pleasure from a big cane pole, a bobber and 20# test line but it won't prepare you for the kick of a 5-pound smallmouth on ultralight gear.

If you grow up smoking a Falcon pipe you will lean by default that is it a cool-smoking, consistantly tobacco-revealing pipe. I came late to Falcons but, after hearing complaints about how they perform, I have gradually come to my own conclusions. The Falcons is a light, versatile and practically bulletproof pipe. If it is taken on its' own terms the pipe smokes cool and, thereby, will reveal the best of hotter smoking tobaccos. If you have tried and failed with a Falcon, so have I. There was a time when I thought it was a chronically hot-smoking, hard-to-clean novelty that couldn't compare with conventional briar pipes. Well, I was right and I was wrong.

Wrong: it is neither chronically hot smoking nor hard to clean
Right: it is novel and does not compare well to most conventional pipes

Here's what a Falcon sort-of compares well to: a smaller bowled pipe with a wide open draw and slightly thin walls. Here's what my favorite flake pipes are: smaller bowled pipes with open draw and relatively thin walls. While large, thick-walled pipes make up for a multitude of overpuffing sins, little flake pipes need to be finessed. A thin walled Pete tankard is a drop-dead fantastic flake pipe but you cannot bully it like a heavy briar or a large meer.

There is a trick to getting a perfect smoke from a Falcon. If you don't grow up with one, you might not figure out that it doesn't smoke like a typical pipe. In fact, after smoking a Falcon like most briars once or twice you will probably blister your fingers and put the thing in a drawer. The thing about a Falcon is that the open-draw airhole is virtually unpluggable. For some reason this means that, after hard compression of the tobacco by filling or tamp, the pipe still draws. If you pursue a familiar somewhat restricted draw you may get it - but the tobacco will nonetheless be compressed like a rock. Draw on that for a minute and you will have a very hot pipe - too hot to hold, actually.

Finesse a Falcon. Follow a typical fill with light, infrequent tamps only when needed. Allow the open draw to reward you with easy, copius smoke after a couple of quick sips and, maybe, a puff. There is magic in a Falcon if you take it on its' own terms. You cannot bully the pipe - you need to smoke it gently, slowly and easily to see it shine something besides cherry red. I assure you it will reveal the best of hot-smoking tobaccos, any tobaccos really, if you learn the simple nature of this slightly different pipe.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Falcon Pipe - Brilliant Smoker With A Learning Curve

A falcon is a bird, right?
I never could keep em lit, but I have smoked a couple. Apple and cherry wood works well.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road

Just got two with three bowls off of the auction site. Still haven't gotten the cake reamed out of them, but Moo, you're making me anxious to try them out. Thanks for the write up!
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1 View Post
Just got two with three bowls off of the auction site. Still haven't gotten the cake reamed out of them, but Moo, you're making me anxious to try them out. Thanks for the write up!
Keep the threads on the humidome and bowl(s) clean after each smoke and you will not end up with seal problems; wipe out the humidome after each smoke and a paper napkin screwed down into the bowls airway keeps the hole clean and clear for next smoke. The cleaning process only takes a minute and returns a pipe that you can smoke over and over in any day. You are, however, married to a few paper napkins or tissues in your pocket (and a place to pitch them).
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
fid
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
fid is on a distinguished road

The Falcon is a brilliantly engineered pipe. They do require a bit of a different technique than briars, but it can be very rewarding. I only own a few different metal pipes and one of them is a Falcon, there's a reason they have outlasted most other metal pipes.
fid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
...They do require a bit of a different technique than briars, but it can be very rewarding...
That's it, precisely, in fewest words. Concur.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Englishes just taste better in my Falcon than in my Chacom. Don't need another reason to stick with it than that
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote