Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Bauza pyramid

I remember that I smoked a Bauza cigar a few years ago, when I was still a novice cigar smoker and I remember that I was impressed back then. I never saw them again, until I was in Antwerp earlier this year and I saw some cellophane wrapped 5½x52 pyramids in the walk in humidor of Huis Verloo. It had a pretty steep price tag of € 9,20, but with my previous experience in my mind I decided to pick one up and review it. I can't find much information online on who makes them, just that the filler and binder are Dominican wrapped with an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper.

The wrapper looks nice and dark, although there are some color differences and there are a few long veins visable. The top of the cigar is quite sharp. The construction feels good and the predraw is fine. I taste tobacco with some pepper on my tongue. The cigar has a stray and hay smell which is quite strong.

I taste a smooth coffee flavor which slowly turns to earth with some wood. After an inch the cigar gets a bit ashy.

After a third I taste earth and herbs, the wood and the ash flavor are gone. Earth is the main flavor. This cigar is flat and kind of boring. The cigar gets a bit spicy after two thirds.

This cigar lasted me for almost an hour and a half and it wasn't half as good as I remembered. The smoke is thin, but I get a decent amount of it. The draw is good, just like the burn. The silvery gray ash is quite firm. This cigar is both medium flavored as medium bodied. I got a nice flame when I purged.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I smoked better cigars.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bauza pyramid

Always surprise me with some of these off the wall sticks!!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. I've had one or two of the Bauzas over the years, and found them . . . meh. Seems you agree with that also.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

I believe these are made by fuente. J.R.cigars and Mikes cigars each carry these.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Actually Bought A Box Of These From JR's When I First Started Smoking Cigars. Never Liked Them Either, Ferdie!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

A guy I work with swears by them but I've smoked a few and was not impressed at all.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I forgot those existed. I had one back in the day. ONE!

MCS