Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Te Amo?

In my short time doing this I have found almost zero correlation between price and goodness. Being the frugal guy that I am, I'm still searching for some "go to" value smokes while I save my Padrons, Oliva V's, Tats, and Cabaiguans (yet to try Illusion, San Cristobal, and a few others, but I'm sure they'll be added to my specials list). I'm in the process of assembling a bunch of fivers from Famous to find more cheap go to's.

Anyway, my question; normally from 100 reviews, I can get a sense of whether something is worth trying, however, Te Amo reviews are just all over the board from the worst thing I ever smoked, to the second coming. So I thought I would ask my assemblage of well-seasoned BOTLs and SOTLs here? What are the thoughts on these enigmas? Thanks in advance.
Zanaspus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Te Amo?

I don't care for them, and I smoke a lot of cheap cigars.

Some of my favorite cheapies:

5 Vegas Gold*
Famous Nicaraguan 3000
Famous Dominican 4000 (mild)
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte*
La Floridita
El Mejor Emerald*

*Can be had for under $2/stick at C-bid.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I'd add to that list:
Perdomo Slow-Aged Lot 826
Sancho Panzo Double Maduro
Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo
Sol Cubano Maduro
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

The last time I had a Te-Amo was probably 1993. Don't know what they're like now, but back then they were, for me, kind of a 'cigar you love to hate' thing. The flavor was... ahem... unsophisticated, but somehow attractive for that same reason. It was a real STOGIE, if you know what I mean: brash, harsh, stinky, simple, unrepentant. They tasted like molasses on grass and upset my stomach. Probably the only cigar I enjoyed (from time to time) that I could never bring myself to recommend to anyone else. I liked the maduro-wrapped Toro size. I think I probably paid about $1.80 for 'em.

This comment is probably useless, as it's essentially 20 years old and I'd bet they're quite different today. Thanks for the opportunity to indulge a fun memory, though. Good luck in your exploration!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

I've only tried one blend from Te-Amo: the World Selection Series 'Dominicana'.

For me it was mild, pleasant and unassuming instead of an in-your-face flavor bomb. It was not harsh, I picked up no ammonia, the few flavors that were present were calm --- basically it's exactly what I'd look for in a 'breakfast and tea' type cigar except for the size! Certainly a cigar I wouldn't mind handing out to new smokers who'll enjoy the smoothness. In fact I'll be keeping a few of these around just for those times I don't want my cigar to kick my a$$, I just want to relax and smoke.

I'm going to try the other two World Selection Series blends soon. I've never had the standard Te-Amo blend though.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Can't help you out on Te Amo, but based on the list of other smokes you enjoy I'd recommend heading over to holt's and picking up a bundle of Little havana overruns. Fumadores and Benchmade would also probably fit your profile and are pretty cheap. And since everything you listed is Nicaraguan, I've also heard good things about the famous Nic 3000's, but haven't tried them personally.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
The last time I had a Te-Amo was probably 1993. Don't know what they're like now, but back then they were, for me, kind of a 'cigar you love to hate' thing. The flavor was... ahem... unsophisticated, but somehow attractive for that same reason. It was a real STOGIE, if you know what I mean: brash, harsh, stinky, simple, unrepentant. They tasted like molasses on grass and upset my stomach. Probably the only cigar I enjoyed (from time to time) that I could never bring myself to recommend to anyone else. I liked the maduro-wrapped Toro size. I think I probably paid about $1.80 for 'em.

This comment is probably useless, as it's essentially 20 years old and I'd bet they're quite different today. Thanks for the opportunity to indulge a fun memory, though. Good luck in your exploration!
I find that very useful. Sort of like a love hate ex-girlfriend experience we all have in our back pockets.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

These have been around forever and I've always been curious, just because they are made with Mexican tobacco (right?). never tried one though.

anyhow as far as cheap smokes go, how cheap are we talking? There is a huge difference between $1 cigars and $2-3 cigars. Personally I have never found anything in the $1 range that was worth a sh*t. seriously, they're all terrible in my opinion. However, there are a lot of tasty options if you are willing to part with the extra dollar. If I want a good cigar for less than $3, I usually grab a Padron Londres.

I've been impressed by several JR bundle cigars but considering there is absolutely ZERO consistency with those, I can't recommend them as a cheap "go-to" smoke. In fact, come to think of it, this is problem with all cheap cigars. It's hard to find a go-to smoke because manufacturers usually don't bother with making sure their super value stuff is perfectly blended. In many cases you're getting a completely different cigar from one box to another.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I'd add to that list:
Perdomo Slow-Aged Lot 826
Sancho Panzo Double Maduro
Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo
Sol Cubano Maduro
Posted via Mobile Device

I especially like the Sancho Panza Double Maduro
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I don't care for them, and I smoke a lot of cheap cigars.

Some of my favorite cheapies:

5 Vegas Gold*
Famous Nicaraguan 3000
Famous Dominican 4000 (mild)
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte*
La Floridita
El Mejor Emerald*

*Can be had for under $2/stick at C-bid.
Great list. Plus the Sancho P's Dble maduros too. The last time I had Te-amo's they tasted like dirt. yuck! But you'll never know if you love em or hat em till u try em!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

Well, I hadn't expected this to turn into a suggestion thread, but thanks for the awesome pointers. Sancho Panza Double Maduro are in my cart as we speak (Yes, I'm a maduro whore). I've been waiting for a good deal on a box of Sol Cubano maduros on cbid since I smoked the one in my bomb from Brian. I have a bundle of Famous Nic 5000, and the two young ones I've sampled have been yummy.

One other question then based on the metamorphosis. Any other thoughts on La Cuna Bin 85's? The two reviews in the blind ten spot made them sound very Cabaiguan-like. This would make me extremely happy.

Don't stop now on my $2-3 quest!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

I like them. Not the worst thing I've ever had, but by no means the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Big fan of the Te Amo Anniversario in maduro. Very smooth with a unique taste . Basically a more refined version of the original Te Amo. Excellent smokes for the price.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:10 AM   #14
adampc22

i will admit i like them i like tham alot nice cigar for a bbq or something like that
Old 09-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Anyway, my question; normally from 100 reviews, I can get a sense of whether something is worth trying, however, Te Amo reviews are just all over the board from the worst thing I ever smoked, to the second coming. So I thought I would ask my assemblage of well-seasoned BOTLs and SOTLs here? What are the thoughts on these enigmas? Thanks in advance.
I liked the Te-Amo robusto's and the relaxation's and smoked a lot of them when I was working in Mexico. I haven't smoked to many of them since moving back up north but I thought they were good.

After having tried many, many cheap sticks, my cheap stick of choice lately has been the Perdomo Fresh rolled bundles from CI.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
dogface_313

Check out tampa sweetheart maduros. They are great and at 40ish for 25 they are a great deal.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

Te Amo is a love/hate cigar, Puros Indios is the only other brand I can think of that has such polarized opinions.

My feeling on (both); a cigar I would not care to smoke often but which I really enjoy every once in a while. A very distinct blend easily recognized. This is a cigar you really should sample one or a 5er before buying a box unless you get a great deal.

While Te-Amo is often in my humi; I would not call it a "go-to" cigar; some of the suggestions in this thread should be considered.

Another thought:
Te Amo (and Puros Indios): sort of a White Castle/Crystal slider in the cigar world to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
In my short time doing this I have found almost zero correlation between price and goodness. Being the frugal guy that I am, I'm still searching for some "go to" value smokes while I save my Padrons, Oliva V's, Tats, and Cabaiguans (yet to try Illusion, San Cristobal, and a few others, but I'm sure they'll be added to my specials list). I'm in the process of assembling a bunch of fivers from Famous to find more cheap go to's.

OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHMatt View Post
Te Amo is a love/hate cigar, Puros Indios is the only other brand I can think of that has such polarized opinions.

My feeling on (both); a cigar I would not care to smoke often but which I really enjoy every once in a while. A very distinct blend easily recognized. This is a cigar you really should sample one or a 5er before buying a box unless you get a great deal.

While Te-Amo is often in my humi; I would not call it a "go-to" cigar; some of the suggestions in this thread should be considered.

Another thought:
Te Amo (and Puros Indios): sort of a White Castle/Crystal slider in the cigar world to me.
hey, look who it is...
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I had the '99 Anni, it was a disappointment Being a special cigar for the brand, it left me wanting something better.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
hey, look who it is...