Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Spearl

Default Stanwell Majestic 85

List price is $100... selling for $50... Would anyone know if this would be a good value of $50 for a smoker with only 2 cobs and 2 no-name $30 Italian smokers??? Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
dogsplayinpoker

Default Re: Stanwell Majestic 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearl View Post
List price is $100... selling for $50... Would anyone know if this would be a good value of $50 for a smoker with only 2 cobs and 2 no-name $30 Italian smokers??? Any input is appreciated.

It seems like a good deal depending on the condition of the pipe.
Been smoked before? Does it have toothmarks on the stem? Did someone smoke something nasty in it before that you will have to alcohol/bomb/clean before it is fit to smoke?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsplayinpoker View Post
It seems like a good deal depending on the condition of the pipe.
Egg Zakry. Burned out? New in box? Crack in briar. Smoked once, Near mint? A $100 pipe for $50 can cover a lot of ground. Ebay? Local pipe shop? Friend of a friend?

Would have to say that, as a rule, people don't complain about the smoking qualities of Stanwell products, though. If from a place you can put your mitts on it before buying there are a few obvious things to check for, however. If ebay, you pays your money and takes your chances pretty much.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Spearl

Pipe is brand new and is being offered at a reputable online pipe and tobacco shop.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearl View Post
Pipe is brand new and is being offered at a reputable online pipe and tobacco shop.
So, then...

Buying a bargain that doesn't speak to you (at any price) is wasted money.
Buying a bargain that calls to you can be a good thing.
Reputable dealer and new $50 Stanwell sounds good together.

Worst case is buy, inspect, hate it and send it back (you pay the postage - standard deal from good guys). Best case, it looks right, feels right and smokes like a champ for a buck per year, 50-years worth. Look for a well-situated airhole (bottom, dead center) and a good mortise-tenon fit*. For $50 maybe it has a few fills in it which has no bearing on the smoking. Baggie over the bit and try it out (carefully) for feel in the teeth. I'm not a Stanwell guy but I can't ever remember hearing someone saying they got a Stannie and it was rotten. Nope - never that.

* mortise/tenon fit is a predictor of gurgle factor. A gap may become a moisture trap during a smoke and start gurgling, which sucks. Following the "always clockwise remove-and-reinsert" twisting motion, carefully remove the stem (of a pipe you may buy) and gauge the depth of the mortise with a pipe cleaner; compare that depth to the length of the tenon. If there is much of a deviation you may have a gurgler in your hand. Little to no gap means a good smoker to me. Take a moment to study the airhole location - a pocket LED flashlight is good for that. Look for the airhole to be center and bottom in the smoking chamber; deviations can be a bad thing. While you're at it, check the diameter of the airhole through the shank (can you handle all these technical pipe words?) to be 4mm (11/64"); in- exhale through the stem and see if it whistles. Less than 4mm in the airhole and a whistling stem might mean a wet pipe. A drill bit in your fingers can usually correct these little deviations, if they exist, in about 2 minutes.

This footnote is at (or beyond) the limits of my expertise. Maybe someone brighter and better informed can confirm/deny this "check it out" methodology.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Couple questions to ask.

1) Is Stanwell a good pipe for $50? Yes!
2) Is the vendor reputable? I cannot say without knowing.
3) Does the style and shape of this pipe appeal to you? If you buy it, you better like it, or you'll never smoke it.
4) How often do you/will you be smoking? It is good to get some quality pipes in your rotation, a Stanwell would move you that direction.

If you do purchase, BEFORE YOU SMOKE IT make sure a pipe cleaner passes through (while all together) fairly easily, maybe with a twist or two because of a kink at the end of the pipe cleaner. Also, make sure the fit of the whole thing is snug. If either of these things is not right, send it back. Usually, a reputable dealer will help with the shipping.