Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #661
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Just open the humidor for a while. Its winter, its dry, it will dry out relatively quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Just open the humidor for a while. Its winter, its dry, it will dry out relatively quickly.
I would recommend that you just take the beads out of your humidor and let them dry out for a bit (hours, not days).

That might be better than exposing your cigars. Cigars are resiliant, but why put them through changes to humidity needlessly.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #662
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Eros is on a distinguished road

I have a tupperdor and I was wondering if I am maintaining it correctly. I bought it a year ago, cleaned it out, placed my cigars and humidification beads in it along with a hygrometer. It is holding steady at about 68/68. Is this ideal or should I leave the lid open? Also, does having a tupperdor diminish cigar quality?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #663
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
I have a tupperdor and I was wondering if I am maintaining it correctly. I bought it a year ago, cleaned it out, placed my cigars and humidification beads in it along with a hygrometer. It is holding steady at about 68/68. Is this ideal or should I leave the lid open? Also, does having a tupperdor diminish cigar quality?
Sounds fine.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #664
jetsman2806
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Norman
Montecristo
jetsman2806 is on a distinguished road

hello all, I am relatively new to this. I am looking into getting a humidor for myself and was wondering if anyone could recommend any type or model in particular. Looking for something that can hold around 25 cigars.

I was looking over at ebay & amazon earlier and found a few different types but before i make a purchase i would prefer to get some more info on what exactly i would need other than the humidor (i keep hearing about crystals/drymist?).

Apologies if this has been addressed earlier in the thread.

thanks
jetsman2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #665
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Actually I would recommend that you get some humidity beads and any humidor that you think will be built well enough to contain the light of a flashlight from showing in a dark room. However, if you want to go the route of a sponge and solution, the box you buy may already come with these. Good enough. Personally, I would use a Tupperware box if I was just starting out, get a bead tube and use that, but I understand the beauty of the humidor.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #666
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsman2806 View Post
hello all, I am relatively new to this. I am looking into getting a humidor for myself and was wondering if anyone could recommend any type or model in particular. Looking for something that can hold around 25 cigars...

thanks
Hey Norman, there is so much information already covered on this in the forum and you will get answers from using Tupperware containers, to coolers, to zip lock bags, to jars, to humidors. All of these if done correctly are exactly what you need. Do you want it to look pretty sitting on a desk, do you just want your cigars to be at the proper humidity level and don't care what the container looks like. SOOOO much good information inside here.

I will offer a suggestion and you could get 100 different opinions after mine.

Go to a local brick and motar (B&M) cigar shop or go online to a good retailer and get a package deal. You can get a small humidor, cutter, package of cigars, lighter, humidifier, etc. for $40 and up. This will give you everything you need to start the process at least plus start figuring out what cigars you like. Samplers packs are also great as you get to try a bunch of different cigars for a lower cost.

For a small humidor like this, you don't need much humidification if the humidor seals well. Then as you learn more about cigars and your stash grows, you can buy a larger humidor or cooler and really create a nice collection. The beauty is you can then hand down your smaller items to a new person and get them on the road of enjoying cigars.

My
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #667
jetsman2806
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
Actually I would recommend that you get some humidity beads and any humidor that you think will be built well enough to contain the light of a flashlight from showing in a dark room. However, if you want to go the route of a sponge and solution, the box you buy may already come with these. Good enough. Personally, I would use a Tupperware box if I was just starting out, get a bead tube and use that, but I understand the beauty of the humidor.

ok cool i will check it out thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
Hey Norman, there is so much information already covered on this in the forum and you will get answers from using Tupperware containers, to coolers, to zip lock bags, to jars, to humidors. All of these if done correctly are exactly what you need. Do you want it to look pretty sitting on a desk, do you just want your cigars to be at the proper humidity level and don't care what the container looks like. SOOOO much good information inside here.

I will offer a suggestion and you could get 100 different opinions after mine.

Go to a local brick and motar (B&M) cigar shop or go online to a good retailer and get a package deal. You can get a small humidor, cutter, package of cigars, lighter, humidifier, etc. for $40 and up. This will give you everything you need to start the process at least plus start figuring out what cigars you like. Samplers packs are also great as you get to try a bunch of different cigars for a lower cost.

For a small humidor like this, you don't need much humidification if the humidor seals well. Then as you learn more about cigars and your stash grows, you can buy a larger humidor or cooler and really create a nice collection. The beauty is you can then hand down your smaller items to a new person and get them on the road of enjoying cigars.

My

i'll check through the forum and see the different types you mentioned. personally i dont mind getting a humidor that i can place on my desk it does have a nice look to it lol, but until i actually get one a temp setup could work fine.

thanks very much for your advice.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #668
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

How much you looking to spend there Norman?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #669
jetsman2806
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
How much you looking to spend there Norman?
anywhere between $30-$60 us i am cool with.

i already have something on my desk that i may be able to convert currently looking on amazon at a humidifier and a hygrometer. but still curious as i dont think the current case is air tight , also its lined with felt and not cedar. so i have some thinking to do.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #670
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo

Type in Google "Humidor Combos" and start from there. Might as well get some goodies thrown in if you buy one.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #671
jetsman2806
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Type in Google "Humidor Combos" and start from there. Might as well get some goodies thrown in if you buy one.
thanks Jeff
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #672
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

www.Cheaphumidors.com
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...Humidity+Beads

I wouldn't really recommend getting anything smaller than a 50ct. 100-150 is ideal. A 25ct will fill up much quicker than you think. That and a small tube of heartfelt beads and your in good shape.

If you get a humidor with an analog hygrometer you can salt test it and make sure its reasonably accurate and wait to spend money on an expensive digital hygro.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #673
jetsman2806
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadden View Post
www.Cheaphumidors.com
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...Humidity+Beads

I wouldn't really recommend getting anything smaller than a 50ct. 100-150 is ideal. A 25ct will fill up much quicker than you think. That and a small tube of heartfelt beads and your in good shape.

If you get a humidor with an analog hygrometer you can salt test it and make sure its reasonably accurate and wait to spend money on an expensive digital hygro.

thanks i'll keep it in mind. right now i basically visit the cigar shop once a week and pick up a few so the most i will have at any one time (right now) is about 10 , i keep getting a new one every time i drop by.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #674
bretted432

Kind of a beginner question, but what do you find to be the minimum you need to spend to get a good "upper level" cigar, if that makes sense?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #675
Lurchy
Just in from the Storm

Lurchy is on a distinguished road

Anyone know had one of my first cigars the other day had an acid wafe was delicious but I can't find any more in any stores. Do they carry them anymore or is there another one like it?
Lurchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #676
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretted432 View Post
Kind of a beginner question, but what do you find to be the minimum you need to spend to get a good "upper level" cigar, if that makes sense?
Price doesn't have to be a major factor as there are some really nice $3-5 cigars and some really crappy $10-15 cigars and vice-versa.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #677
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurchy View Post
Anyone know had one of my first cigars the other day had an acid wafe was delicious but I can't find any more in any stores. Do they carry them anymore or is there another one like it?
The Acid Wafe is still made and is available in many places. The next time you are in your local b&m, ask about them and see if they continue to offer them. If not, they are easily available online.

Drew Estates also makes the same size (Wafe) in the Java line they make for Rocky Patel but it tastes much different than the Acid, as all other cigars do. Acid's are in a category by themselves and definitely not for everyone but if you like them, smoke away!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #678
pegger
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Greg
pegger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just joined the forum and just received my humidor

Joined the forum yesterday and received my 50ct humidor today...... and to say that I am a little confused would be a huge understatement.

Wipe it with water, bowl of distilled water, sponges, beads, gel.... boveda??

Would really like to get it right the first time so what is the best way to season a new humidor, after it is seasoned what is the easiest most efficient way to keep the RH at a proper level?

I live in Winnipeg, Canada so winters are pretty harsh.

I am sorry, I know this question has probably been asked and answered a billion times......

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Greg
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #679
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your purchase....I know winnipeg winters very well (a dry cold, right??)

Lots of opinions on seasoning a humidor. I roll with boveda and love it.

Buy a boveda seasoning kit. Follow the instructions and then maintain with the Boveda RH of your choice. I have a 50ct desktop that has been rock solid on 3 72% boveda packs now for 10 months. They're rated for 3 months, but I am now approaching 10 months with no issues.

Oh...and during winter, I put my entire humidor into a very large zip lock bag.

Next time I'm in town, we should meet up at Thomas Hinds.
pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #680
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just joined the forum and just received my humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegger View Post
Joined the forum yesterday and received my 50ct humidor today...... and to say that I am a little confused would be a huge understatement.

Wipe it with water, bowl of distilled water, sponges, beads, gel.... boveda??

Would really like to get it right the first time so what is the best way to season a new humidor, after it is seasoned what is the easiest most efficient way to keep the RH at a proper level?

I live in Winnipeg, Canada so winters are pretty harsh.

I am sorry, I know this question has probably been asked and answered a billion times......

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Greg
Do NOT wipe it with water, water has a good chance of warping the wood and you won't have that super tight seal you want.

Either get a seasoning pack or just use a sponge, dampen the sponge with distilled (make sure it is distilled) water and place it on a plate inside the humidor, close it up and leave it closed, don't keep checking on it, let it sit for a couple days and check the sponge, you might have to re-dampen it a couple of times. Then after a few days drop in your hygrometer and close it back up, check it after a day or so and see where it's at.

After you get it seasoned I would suggest Shilia Beads, there are links all over the site for them

Best of luck!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote