Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Xikar repair question

So, I finally sent in a torch lighter a week ago that wasn't working. I was wondering if anyone that has done this before knows if they received any sort of acknowledgment that their item was received, what the issue was, and when they're shipping it back. Thanks.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xikar repair question

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
So, I finally sent in a torch lighter a week ago that wasn't working. I was wondering if anyone that has done this before knows if they received any sort of acknowledgment that their item was received, what the issue was, and when they're shipping it back. Thanks.
I had a Xikar Tech that stopped working only after three weeks...sent it back, they returned it without fixing it. I called their customer service department and told them it was doing the same thing. They sent a brand new one out and a return label to ship the broke one back. I sent mine return receipt so that I knew they received it. No notification when they mailed it back.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Mac had better luck than me, every time I send them a lighter they half ass fix it and It ends up nonfuctional within a few weeks. They do good with cutters but lighters....NOT buying another Xikar

As for your question, you will get ZERO info. Just a working, or maybe not working, lighter back in a few weeks.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I sent a mammoth bone cutter in once. They didn't acknowledge receipt, didn't return it, couldn't find it, called the guy who does the scrimshaw bonework and he said he never saw it, then a couple days later I got it in the mail, fixed.
So if you get any better than that, consider it gravy.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Damn Scott that is pretty bad. I put D/C on anything I send back to the company, if only for liability.

I think the famed Xikar CS is VERY overrated
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
fricky

Customer service at Xikar has been exceptional. On separate occasions I returned a cutter and a lighter for repair. Both were quickly replaced. I have only good things to say about their products and service.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

i currently have two cutters and one lighter away from home right now.. i sent them all in about 10 days ago. no notification. but ive had them sharpen my cutters and they did a quick turnaround..

i was kind of upset about the lighter. i bought it online, new, for my father for fathers day, and it didnt work right out of the box.. rarr
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonS View Post
i was kind of upset about the lighter. i bought it online, new, for my father for fathers day, and it didnt work right out of the box.. rarr
Ouch, that would be a shame.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Ouch, that would be a shame.
its ok, i included a note, and the receipt (dated like 3 days prior, lol), and we will see what they do.. ive had zero issues with Xikar my whole life..
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I sent 2 Xi2 cutters back to be sharpened, I got 2 brand new Xi2s in the same colors after 3 weeks, there was no notification that anything was received or sent out. I think he best scenario is to exchange at a B&M but it that's not possible, the return service is ok.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I think their website indicated it's about a 3 week process. I was just thinking since they have your name, phone, and email from the repair form, a little communication would go a long way.

I'm a little bummed that the lighter started giving me issues given how little use it's had and I did only use their Butane and not the cheap stuff. I'm convinced there's not a truly dependable torch lighter to be had out there.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I think their website indicated it's about a 3 week process. I was just thinking since they have your name, phone, and email from the repair form, a little communication would go a long way.

I'm a little bummed that the lighter started giving me issues given how little use it's had and I did only use their Butane and not the cheap stuff. I'm convinced there's not a truly dependable torch lighter to be had out there.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post

ive gone through about 40 of these.. they are crap.. but great for a $2 lighter. nothing more than bonefide crab though
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonS View Post
ive gone through about 40 of these.. they are crap.. but great for a $2 lighter. nothing more than bonefide crab though
Funny. I have about 40 of them that all work perfectly. I don't purge, just jam more fuel in there and they keep going. I've run them through the washing machine! These high end lighters, the xikars, the lotus, the colibri are so sensitive even with the 100x times refined butane and these "crap" lighters take a licking and keep on ticking with the gas from walmart.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

I've heard nothing but bad things about their lighter repair service. Good luck to you.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but are you guys even including a phone number or email where they could get back in contact with you once they receive your lighter for repair?

Just a thought, but this may be a contributing factor to the lack of communication...

Personally I've sent hundreds of lighters back to Xikar on behalf of customers. I always have had the utmost confidence in their repair and return policies and found them to be more than courteous and quick in their service.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but are you guys even including a phone number or email where they could get back in contact with you once they receive your lighter for repair?

Just a thought, but this may be a contributing factor to the lack of communication...

Personally I've sent hundreds of lighters back to Xikar on behalf of customers. I always have had the utmost confidence in their repair and return policies and found them to be more than courteous quick in their service.
I know they provide a phone number and email address to follow up. I was just curious from others having experience as to whether you ever heard a word from them other than just receiving their item back.

The lighter was less than a year old and rarely used only using their butane, so in the long run, I'm interested in finding out how to keep from having to do this again in the future. Torch lighters are awesome-when and if they choose to work.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Big Bert
Been a long time coming

First Name: Albert
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Big Bert will become famous soon enough

I would think a big company like xikar would actually be more on point with repairs and stuff I only got one xikar tabletop and love it no issues as of yet
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I was ultimately happy with Xikar's warranty service. I just didn't know what to expect, and being it took so long (which makes perfectly good sense in the case I mentioned) I was getting a bit nervous it got lost. When I found out it did, they did everything they could to try to find it. Problem is, nodody seemed to keep records of anything at all. Or they simply forwarded my cutter to the scrimshaw guy and didn't make note because in their eyes, it was a done deal on their end.
I mean, I get it. I was never mad, and they were clear that they'd take care of me no matter what. I agreed to wait a bit and see what happened.

I have tons of Xikar products, I love them. The mammoth cutter was the only thing I have ever had to send back, and that was because my bil dropped it and smashed the bone. Realistically, they shouldn't have even taken care of it, but they did. (I had explained what happened in a note and offered to pay for the repair.)

I've not found another outfit with a lineup so complete, and stuff so nice that I ever wanted to go another way. I just plain like the way Xikar rolls, and I love their products. As with anyone, they could do with a little improvement. Communication costs money and takes time. I suppose they figure they've already laid out how it's going to be before I bought the stuff, then again when I send it in for repair. If I can't trust them as far as their word, I could always go somewhere else. They've been true to their word, so I haven't needed to.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
PCR
Maduro! Maduro? Maduro.

First Name: Paul
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
PCR will become famous soon enough

For my money, even though Xikars, Lotus, etc look nice, I use Ronson or a wood match. Funny how dependable a good ol' match is (except in wind) . Anyways... enjoy fellas.