Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #241
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

First Name: marc
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
trogdor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sous vide

My wife got me a Sansaire for Christmas and I've been playing with it. It's made some really nice steaks. I've tried a few different seasoning mixtures on the steaks, but so far I like salt and pepper the best. I sear in a cast iron pan by adding a spoonful of bacon grease, heating it until it smokes, and throwing the meat in there for 60-90 seconds/side with the burners on full. The meat sears much better if you dry it with paper towels first. Save the juice from the bag to pour over it when you serve.
I use a cooler for cooking - I cut the corner off of the lid so that the Sansaire will fit with the lid down.
I did chicken breasts in the mid 140s (can't remember the exact temp now) and they came out extra juicy, but the texture wasn't quite right; I think I'll try 149 or 150 next time.
I've also started pasteurizing our eggs. The whites get slightly cloudy like the ones that I remember buying from the supermarket when they were available several years ago, but they mix up the same.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #242
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't tried chicken yet, but I've done turkey breast at 145F for 4 hours. For me, the texture was perfect, a little softer than a normal roasted turkey. If you look up sous vide turkey on Serious Eats, Kenji's article talks a lot about the differences in texture for the different temps.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #243
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
My wife got me a Sansaire for Christmas and I've been playing with it. It's made some really nice steaks. I've tried a few different seasoning mixtures on the steaks, but so far I like salt and pepper the best.
Garlic powder. Trust me on this.

Or make your own garlic infused oil, but the flavor will be lighter.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #244
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

This thread makes me hungry...
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #245
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/...77402741770316

On sale for $140 for the next 12 hours on Amazon. Bluetooth version.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #246
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/...77402741770316

On sale for $140 for the next 12 hours on Amazon. Bluetooth version.

A friend of mine who doesn't post here says "Damn you and thanks"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #247
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Did a 48hr Chuck roast that I ate yesterday.
A lot of internet posts claiming this to be a poor man's ribeye had me intrigued.
The second I cut open the bag my first thought was " I should've just made a ribeye"
I seared it off with the Searzall, which was by far the best sear in the shortest amount of time that I have gotten.
At first bite my fears were confirmed, this was not a ribeye, not a poor man's ribeye, not a blind man's ribeye, this was a pot roast.
That said, this was the best pot roast I've ever had. Thankfully my wife had made a mushroom gravy, seemingly on a lark, but it was exactly what this cut needed.
Unbelievably tender, though not the braised, stringy, cut with a fork tender.
I preferred this to the more traditional style pot roast texture.

Thus far, none of the 24+hr cooks with the Anova have wowed me.
The only one that I would call good was the 48hr lamb shoulder I did. Good not great. Plus I should've seared it before hand as it was really tough to sear without it falling apart.
The rest suffered from texture issues and reminded me more of boiled meat.
This was perfect, and had zero texture issues! I would absolutely do it again. I also would absolutely try doing this cut again, pulling it and making pulled beef sandwiches.

134° for 48hrs
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #248
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
A lot of internet posts claiming this to be a poor man's ribeye had me intrigued.
The second I cut open the bag my first thought was " I should've just made a ribeye"
I seared it off with the Searzall, which was by far the best sear in the shortest amount of time that I have gotten.
At first bite my fears were confirmed, this was not a ribeye, not a poor man's ribeye, not a blind man's ribeye, this was a pot roast.
That said, this was the best pot roast I've ever had. Thankfully my wife had made a mushroom gravy, seemingly on a lark, but it was exactly what this cut needed.

The only one that I would call good was the 48hr lamb shoulder I did. Good not great. Plus I should've seared it before hand as it was really tough to sear without it falling apart.
This was perfect, and had zero texture issues! I would absolutely do it again. I also would absolutely try doing this cut again, pulling it and making pulled beef sandwiches.

134° for 48hrs

Not sure why the pic doesn't show.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #249
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
I've been considering a chuck but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I've been using brisket for my pulled beef sandwiches.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #250
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

134° for 48hrs

Nice!....Not a fan of braised/crock pot type pot roast...it's the "stringy" thing...cold weather is a great time to give this a try...thanks Dom
Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #251
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Interesting, thanks for taking one for the team, Dom.

I've been having good results with chuck for roast beef. I've been buying cross rib chuck point / tip roast and cooking it about the same as I do the tri-tip a few posts back - with the addition of sprigs of fresh oregano and thyme (and I usually remember to put in some hot peppers ). Just cooked at a bit higher temp, like 133-4 but about the same amount of time, 4-6 hours. Sear it then refrigerate it overnight and a quick 45 min freeze right before running it on the meat slicer. The hardest part is finding the point / tip cuts, which are necessary because otherwise I can't fit it in the slicer in a way to cut across the grain.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #252
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

12 hours into a planned 32 hour cook of a bone in lamb shoulder. Seasoned with Indian flavors. Plan to shred and add to a spicy tomato sauce for dinner tomorrow. Thinking of maybe serving over some roasted cauliflower.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #253
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Lamb shoulder came out perfect. 32.5 hours at 133F. Cut off the bone, cubed and added to a nice tomato curry sauce. A bit of garlic naan.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #254
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am in the midst of cooking a brisket and had a weird thing happen with my Anova -- the unit stopped heating but it reported the correct temperature, both on the unit itself and via Bluetooth.

I power cycled the Anova and it started working again, but the temperature dropped significantly, so I don't know how my brisket is going to turn out...

I contacted Anova, but they had little to offer other than to watch for the problem and if it occurs again I should contact them for repair/replacement.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #255
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Cooked a couple strip steaks to near perfection at 139.5* for about two hours
Old 02-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #256
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I am in the midst of cooking a brisket and had a weird thing happen with my Anova -- the unit stopped heating but it reported the correct temperature, both on the unit itself and via Bluetooth.

I power cycled the Anova and it started working again, but the temperature dropped significantly, so I don't know how my brisket is going to turn out...

I contacted Anova, but they had little to offer other than to watch for the problem and if it occurs again I should contact them for repair/replacement.
I called Anova last night and left a message on their support line (it was after hours). They called me back this morning and are going to exchange my unit for a new one.

The only drag here is that I use my Anova a lot -- 2 or 3 times per week, and it will take up to 10 days to get my replacement unit...

Overall, I am impressed with the customer service.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #257
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

34 hour chuck roast at 130...salt, pepper,garlic, rosemary and thyme...out of the bath then onto a rack to "dry" a bit while I prepped other things...re-seasoned with salt and pepper then seared in very hot pan with some bacon grease...served with sweet potato fries and roasted spaghetti squash with caramelized onions and bacon...thought it came out great...texture was "primerib-ish" though I wouldn't pass up a prime rib for it...but at $3.50 /lb I make it again...

Pre-sear "ugly"

Post-sear yummy

Plated...
Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #258
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Looks great, Keith! Did you also give it a sear before the bath?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #259
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Very nice, Keith! Haven't done chuck roast yet as I'm still stuck on tri-tip.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #260
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Looks great, Keith! Did you also give it a sear before the bath?
I did not...Haven't found pre-sear to have any appreciable effect, other than an extra step...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Very nice, Keith! Haven't done chuck roast yet as I'm still stuck on tri-tip.
Not a bad resting stop!