Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
SMITTY66

Default Re: 911 call that went bad.

I think it's an unfortunate event all around...

I would also like to add that I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what the knowledge on the subject is. Everyone (for the most part) has common sense and knows how to formulate an educated opinion on a subject. This country was founded on free speech and the right to give YOUR opinion in matters that are asked. I don't think its fair for anyone to criticize someone else's opinion.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #42
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITTY66 View Post
\ This country was founded on free speech and the right to give YOUR opinion in matters that are asked.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I think you need to retake high school civics. This country was in no way founded on the "right to give YOUR opinion" The Founders only restricted the Congress from passing laws against free speech. Today after 200+ years of case law the First Amendment has evolved to include many things including unlimited campaign contributions by corporations.

Furthermore this is a private forum where the First Amendment has absolutely no application.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITTY66 View Post
I think it's an unfortunate event all around...

I would also like to add that I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what the knowledge on the subject is. Everyone (for the most part) has common sense and knows how to formulate an educated opinion on a subject. This country was founded on free speech and the right to give YOUR opinion in matters that are asked. I don't think its fair for anyone to criticize someone else's opinion.
I think it's perfectly fair to criticize someone's opinion. We should educate each other, and welcome it. There's a huge pool of age, experience, and wisdon here at CA. There's no need to do it in a cruel, condescending, arrogant fashion.
As brothers, we treat each other with love and respect. It's what sets this community apart from all the other whirling cesspools of disrespect and social retardation that abound on the internet.
Josh was about a million miles off target. Some brothers were decent enough to educate him with kindness. He learned something, changed his mind a bit, and broadened his understanding.
Others treated him like sh1t. There's been a lot of that going on around here as of late and we could certainly do with a lot less, in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #44
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

The key word you used is "educated". Not everyone's opinion is educated.

Critical analysis of stated opinions are the foundation of discussion and debate.

Based on your statement, aren't folks entitled to their response? Or are the only opinions that matter the ones you deem fair?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #45
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

One can give their opinion on anything...doesn't mean it's worth listening too, though.

I could give you my opinion on molecular biology topics. I have no knowledge of the field, nor any experience, but I have the RIGHT to express my opinion. I have common sense, after all.

Molecular biologists should be more concerned with mollusks, and not harp on the harm they can do to an ecosystem.

Should a molecular biologist agree with, or even consider my opinion, as I don't have any training, experience in the field? I doubt they will.

If there were rights to free speech, etc, here at the Asylum, then you could discuss politics, religion, post your favorite Cuban vendor, spew some racism or homophobia, etc. But it ain't. Just ask tobii, Nickerson, and others.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We can still treat each other with the love and respect deserved, no?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #47
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
We can.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Amen, my friend.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
My position is that you can criticize an opinion (and not have to sugar coat it) but not criticize the person.

To grossly over-simplify:
I think it is o.k. to say "your opinion is stupid" vs. "you are stupid". Tact notwithstanding.

Having been a sports official for many years, I would tolerate "that's a bad call, ref". I would never tolerate "you're an idiot, ref"

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #50
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post

Mods, would you consider closing this thread to avoid further confrontation between members here.
Can we end this one on a happy note? We can treat each other with love and respect. I've no desire to see this take another turn, and I vote in favor of respecting the op's desired request.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #51
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Amen, chief.
fixed!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
fixed!
Thanks, Sport.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #53
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

I'm sorry I ever posted this.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #54
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Cookie
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #55
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I'm sorry I ever posted this.
Meh. It's a learning experience for all. I know I have made my fair share of boo-boo's and idiot posts with these guys. I think a couple of em might still like me

In all seriousness Josh, I have taken your apology to heart, as I'm sure others will too. Keep your head up, smoke a cigar, and maybe bomb somebody
Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

First post wasn't too bad. Post #4 and on was where it went South.

Forget it, move on, let's have a cigar.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #57
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
We have two 50 lbs canines here that would turn someone inside out before they could say "boo".

Exactly. And this poor dog was an Australian Cattle Dog - which for those of us who have been fortunate enough to own one, they have some of if not the sharpest teeth around.

I'm sure that Cisco was just doing what is in his breeds nature and that is to put himself between his master and anything he perceives to be a threat. Aussies are not known to attack but they will stand ground - period.

I feel bad for the homeowner. I feel for the officer who at that point believed he had no other choice.

I feel worse for Cisco who isn't here now through no fault of his own.

Ron
Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Three pages in and I'm still lost. Must be my lack of sleep catching up with me.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #59
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #60
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I think what often gets overlooked is the fact that stories like these are "news". Done by reporters who weren't there, don't have the facts just interpretations, and may or may not have their own agendas with what they write.

I'm not going to formulate my own opinion off that.

I feel sorry for everyone involved, both parties must be devastated. I know losing a pet is a terrible feeling I can't imagine how horrible it feels to take the life of one.