Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why is college so expensive?

Isn't your GI Bill paying for this?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Isn't your GI Bill paying for this?
thats the sad part, my 500 per semester for books didnt cover this. but yes its paying tuition and most of the dorm room.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I guess that is a bright spot then.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

yeah 9k per-semester is paid for
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

The more I read about the current state of American universities the more I'm convinced it's not much more than a ponzi scheme.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

My first semester I paid as much for books as for classes ($1500). The only reason it wasn't like that other semesters was they allowed us to use e books and CSU tuition went through the roof. My last semesters tuition cost me twice as much as my first semester! I graduated in December, but word is it went up another good chunk before spring semester.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

There were always a couple copies in the library for all of my classes. Couldn't check them out, but could go sit there and read for free or photocopy needed pages for a few cents/page.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

Haha I feel your pain brotha, just spent 500 on my finance book
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
The more I read about the current state of American universities the more I'm convinced it's not much more than a ponzi scheme.
^^^ What he said.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I don't get why all college books, and high school books for that matter, aren't electronic. I mean Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press around 1440. Do you think after nearly 700 years we could move on to another form of media? Perhaps one that is free to distribute?

I'm not suggesting we do away with copyrights, just the bulk of the cost which is printing and distribution.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #31
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
Im hoping a bachelors in Integrated Supply Management gets me somewhere. Im looking to get a masters in Logistics aswell. Ill need to get accepted to MSU's business graduate program for that though.
Logistics is a great way to go.

And Devan, there are jobs out there. I'm on my 3rd one (by choice) since I graduated in May of 2010 with a double major in Accounting & Finance. Don't let the economy scare you too much. Start applying for internships nice and early - that experience means the world.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't address your topic at all. It is a scam. I had one class where the professor wrote the book and it was "required". Such a rip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #32
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't get why all college books, and high school books for that matter, aren't electronic. I mean Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press around 1440. Do you think after nearly 700 years we could move on to another form of media? Perhaps one that is free to distribute?

I'm not suggesting we do away with copyrights, just the bulk of the cost which is printing and distribution.

Once the format becomes obsolete, the electricity goes out, the battery dies, you drop your reader, or whatever; then where are you? Books are already perfect the way they are, and require nothing else in order to read. All electronic media requires hardware, software and power support in order to function. A book requires only itself.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
Logistics is a great way to go.

And Devan, there are jobs out there. I'm on my 3rd one (by choice) since I graduated in May of 2010 with a double major in Accounting & Finance. Don't let the economy scare you too much. Start applying for internships nice and early - that experience means the world.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't address your topic at all. It is a scam. I had one class where the professor wrote the book and it was "required". Such a rip.
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah just getting out of the army and havent started school. So hopefully ill get an idea what kind of jobs to apply for threw this year of experience.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

My last semester they had just started offering most books in electronic forms. I got one book like that bc it was a ton cheaper, but I discovered I prefer to have a hard copy. Highlighting and flipping pages checking you're scribbled margin notes is a lot more effective, IMHO, on a hard copy than an electronic one.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #35
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
that's what everyone told me when I graduated in 05 and I'm still waiting for that to come true. the only benefit to being in college now is that hopefully things will rebound before you graduate.
University is about learning how to learn and think which in turn increases your long term earning potential. Except for very specific fields like medicine, law, engineering, etc it's not (unfortunately) about going to school to get a job. It definitely pays off in the long run, especially given that an undergrad degree is no longer considered something special or unique by most professional employers. Not having one in those fields is like coming to the poker table without ante stakes... you don't get to join the game.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 09-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #36
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I'd like to see how much the professors and university administrators rake in every year in salaries...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I'd like to see how much the professors and university administrators rake in every year in salaries...
For public institutions, you should be able to request a copy of the budget at the library. It should include a breakdown of salaries by name/department. I would imagine that it would be available both in print and electronic formats.

For private schools, well, good luck with that one.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #38
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Most of them don't make nearly as much as you seem to fear they do, with a full tenured professor at all but the fanciest schools topping out around $80K or so, with top administrators getting perhaps twice that on average. There are exceptions, on both sides of the curve.

In other words, your average educator earns in a year about what your average corporate scumbag steals in a week . . . or a good day.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #39
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Most of them don't make nearly as much as you seem to fear they do, with a full tenured professor at all but the fanciest schools topping out around $80K or so, with top administrators getting perhaps twice that on average. There are exceptions, on both sides of the curve.
This. For example I currently work as a senior IT admin in a public health authority (completely unrelated to my degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry btw), my father was a toxicology professor and my uncle-in-law a history prof.. both retired as full profs at the top of their institutions pay scales. 10 years into my career I make about $12K - $15K more than my uncle and about $5K less than my father, compared to wages at retirement in both cases. Academics is not a profession to choose if your career ambition is to become wealthy.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Try and pay that over here.....more like double the $$$$$ for that many!