Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #161
ysr_racer

Default Re: Where to find Ronson Jetlite?

Page nine !!!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #162
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
Ronsons are the BEST !!!

I just can't see myself paying tons of money on a lighter that does what a $5 Ronson does.

To bad they dont have in my area (or even anywhere here in CA. from what I've seen anymore) anymore.... I would like to buy a handful of them to throw in for trades.
No, we have plenty down here in The OC.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #163
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I'm going to go look for some this weekend. Hope I can find them.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #164
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
Ronsons are the BEST !!!

I just can't see myself paying tons of money on a lighter that does what a $5 Ronson does.

To bad they dont have in my area (or even anywhere here in CA. from what I've seen anymore) anymore.... I would like to buy a handful of them to throw in for trades.
Ronson Jet Lites are far from THE BEST. They are a good, inexpensive lighter that is available from many sources, including WalMart.

I have several Ronson's and have given many as gifts. But they have some serious drawbacks.

They have a very small fuel capacity.

The top only open 90degrees and the all metal top can often get overheated.

In cold weather, they must first be warmed in the hands(or kept in your pocket) before lighting.

At WalMart price of $2.99 they are not bad.

A better value is the Chinese Blazer knock off available from DealExtreme. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact...t-lighter-4179 I have heard that the new ones are not as good as the ones from a few years ago, but I have not ordered in a while. I am still using several that are now approaching four years old.

The Blazer PB-207 has a huge fuel capacity and is a sturdy lighter but lacks some aesthetic appeal to some.

Lighters are like cigars, use what you like and like what you use. If it lights your cigar, then be happy.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #165
Mutombo

^^I recently switched to those chinese blazer knockoffs recently for the reasons you stated above. The fuel capacity on the jetlites is just too small, and I was constantly running out of fuel, which forced me to carry TWO lighters everywhere.

I bought the blazer knockoffs about 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. All my friends are even ordering them too, they are great!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #166
ysr_racer

From the TSA website:

In an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage as of August 4, 2007. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons.

Lifting the lighter ban is consistent with TSA's risk-based approach to aviation security. First and foremost, lighters no longer pose a significant threat. Freeing security officers up from fishing for 22,000 lighters every day (the current number surrendered daily across the country) enables them to focus more on finding explosives, using behavior recognition, conducting random screening procedures and other measures that increase complexity in the system, deterring terrorists. The U.S. is the only country in the world to ban lighters – all other nations, including Israel and the U.K., do not.

I wonder if the idiots that work at TSA can even spell TSA.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #167
73mountaineer
West-by-God-Virginian

First Name: Steve
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
73mountaineer is on a distinguished road

Checked my Walmart today and they are completely cleaned out. Anyone else going to be able to hook arambo3 up?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #168
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

There's a pair up for grabs in the troop support auction. Go get 'em!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #169
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mountaineer View Post
Checked my Walmart today and they are completely cleaned out. Anyone else going to be able to hook arambo3 up?
Already taken care of, the package goes out tomorrow.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #170
arambo3

Sorry forgot to update the status, Eleven has got me covered. Thanks again man.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #171
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I found them online for $4.50 not sure how much shipping is.

http://www.slipperyrockcigars.com/in...on&act=viewCat
Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #172
Shadow
Who knows what evil lurks

Trading: (0)
VR
Shadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I found them online for $4.50 not sure how much shipping is.

http://www.slipperyrockcigars.com/in...on&act=viewCat
Good folks to deal with.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #173
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I saw 15 at my local Walmart on Saturday. Same 'ol $2.97 price.

I got an e-mail response to my question to Ronson/Zippo on where to find them. They said there is no official retailer list but suggested I try Walmart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, and CVS.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #174
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

About how long does it take to refill a purged Ronson Jetlite? And is it possible to over-fill? Thanks!
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #175
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
About how long does it take to refill a purged Ronson Jetlite? And is it possible to over-fill? Thanks!
I took one apart once to see. It takes about the count of 5. The extra will usually just release into the air after you stop filling.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #176
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
I Fill These 'Til The Fluid Starts Coming Out The Top. Has Worked Well For Me Over The Years.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #177
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Low and behold today the Wal-Mart had about 20 of these on the rack behind the register with the tobacco. I reached over and grabbed three... one Satin, one Dusk, and one Dusk Art Deco. The Dusk is going in a small bomb on its way to one of my wife's friends who just had a baby... her husband sent me an Ashton Maduro when my triplets were born (before I even started smoking) so I'm going to return fire with a Perdomo ESV 91. The other two will end up in the glove box of my car and my golf bag.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that you can sand/scuff/polish these down to a base metal with hints of copper... maybe some kind of layers of nickel plating over a mild steel? I discovered this when trying to remove some scratches from a Dusk Art Deco and after the Dusk finish/coating (I doubt PVD, probably something spray-on) wore off I started noticing the copper hues... I continued to scuff (grey scotchbrite) and then finished of with some Brasso. It's not a consistaent bright copper like a new penny, but probably 75-80% light copper with some silver base metal mostly at the folds and seams. This was a good bit of work on a $3-$5 lighter and might be lipstick on a pig, but it is definitely unique. I'll try to post pictures later...

I'm also trying to decide on a paint-fill color for the Art Deco lines that might compliment the copper color... any ideas? Maybe a chocolate brown or something to try to simulate an antiqued patina buildup?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #178
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Still seen these at my local Walgreens this past weekend when I went and applied for a pt job.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #179
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

These disappeared around Atlanta for a while but now I am starting to see them again and even in the drugstores that didn't carry them before. Price seems to have climbed a bit but they are still under $5
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #180
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
These disappeared around Atlanta for a while but now I am starting to see them again and even in the drugstores that didn't carry them before. Price seems to have climbed a bit but they are still under $5
I've had no problem finding them at any Walgreens in the ATL area for around $5 as mentioned before, but I've only seen them at one Wal-Mart (Cobb Parkway) for $3 each.