Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mistakes? Counterfits? Knock-Offs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
My question was asking if anyone had tried them, Some of the vets on here. As I am still new and can't compare them to the real deals.
I have tried every one mentioned specifically in my post, and have been more often satisfied rather than disappointed, and occasionally thrilled. But keep in mind:

A) I always went into these with lower expectations than I would have with the high-price spreads.

B) As with even the "best" cigars, your satisfaction will depend not only upon your own particular tastes, but also on the "luck of the draw". More than once Lew Rothman has observed that the best cigar you ever smoked may lay right next to the worst one you ever smoked, in the very same box. Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
The Perdomo2 Mistakes are a Torpedo in a couple of wrappers sold as a bundle smoke in the price range of $60 for a bundle of 25. They are the original formulation of the Perdomo LE at a good price. I highly recommend them, sometimes mistakes are not bad.
I'd second this one. CI has them up pretty often. Good smoke, FANTASTIC price. CBid will have them periodically too. No bands, but taste just fine.

The RP vintage seconds are very good as well. I've blind smoked them with the original. I'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I like these a lot:
http://www.famous-smoke.com/rp+facto...ars/item+31154
Get 'em on sale or from their auctioneer for 40-45; put them down to nap for a couple months, then enjoy.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

I've found these locally for really cheap per bundle and they're fantastic cigars:
http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/no_59...ts_bundled.htm

I've had the 59 and the 99 and both were great. Stay away from the "sweet" version though.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #25
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The RP vintage seconds are very good as well.
+1...
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #26
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
The RP vintage seconds are very good as well. I've blind smoked them with the original. I'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
The ones that I bought didn't seem to be actual seconds because the robustos didn't look anything like the original robusto in shape. I often wonder how many of these are actually factory seconds and how many are rolled with the express purpose of being sold as a "lesser" label. They still smoked really nice, though.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #27
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
Another thing to remember, if you buy seconds from C.I., Cigar.com of whereever, there is a chance these sticks have not been through a freeze or fumigation
Errr....fumigation? When I think of fumigation, I think of noxious pesticides coating everything and then smoking it. Not that tobacco smoke is the healthiest thing, but you know. Do you have more information on the fumigation process?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
The ones that I bought didn't seem to be actual seconds because the robustos didn't look anything like the original robusto in shape. I often wonder how many of these are actually factory seconds and how many are rolled with the express purpose of being sold as a "lesser" label. They still smoked really nice, though.
There is a huge market for "2nds". I'm sure some are built specifically for that purpose. No band...no box and piggybacking off of prior successes. It would actually surprise me if they DIDN'T roll some to be sold as seconds. As long as they smoke the same or just not yucky...I'll keep a stockpile of them. I have tons of moochers and it's nice to give them a decent cigar that doesn't kill my bank account.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #29
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
There is a huge market for "2nds". I'm sure some are built specifically for that purpose. No band...no box and piggybacking off of prior successes. It would actually surprise me if they DIDN'T roll some to be sold as seconds. As long as they smoke the same or just not yucky...I'll keep a stockpile of them. I have tons of moochers and it's nice to give them a decent cigar that doesn't kill my bank account.
I agree, and with the RP Seconds in particular I find them to be priced where I think the originals should be so as long as the quality is acceptable I would definitely buy the seconds instead.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
applevalleyjoe
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Trinidad Army (Retired)
applevalleyjoe is on a distinguished road

Some years ago I bought a bundle of El Credito Churchill's. Not too bad but lots of problem with draw and burn. Later tried some Padron alternatives from TNT. Also not bad but certainly no Padron. More like a mid-grade Nicaraguan puro.
applevalleyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote