Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough
Default Cigar ledger?

As a relative noob to the cigar smoking ranks, I really find it overwhelming to look through cigar reviews or internet dealer's lists of cigars because there seems to be a million choices. I was wondering if anybody keeps a ledger of cigars that you've smoked with your personal comments on each. Does anybody do this? I've just started in the past 2 weeks, and hopefully, it will keep me from buying cigars that I've tried and didn't care for.

What do you do?

Nick

(BTW, my ledger is in MS Excel, and I would gladly share it. It's nothing fancy!)
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cigar ledger?

Nick, I keep a similar "journal" in MS Excel format with my notes, if I liked the stick, if I'd smoke it again. Been keeping this for well over two years now. Let's me keep track of what I like/dislike, etc.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm with Mac, I had MS Excel in mind when I saw the thread title.

However I just go by memory. For the most part is serves me well, or good enough
Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I'm with Mac, I had MS Excel in mind when I saw the thread title.

However I just go by memory. For the most part is serves me well, or good enough
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

I use an android app to keep up with my notes and inventory.
Posted via Mobile Device
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a cigar ledger. I used it mostly for Cuban cigars I had smoked. Now I dont use it.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I use an android app to keep up with my notes and inventory.
Posted via Mobile Device
What app do you use?

I use Rate My Cigar. Works pretty damn good, if you ask me.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
jaxstraww

I'm old skool......Cigar Briefcase was the app I used.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

I have a journal that I tape the cigar bands in. My memory operates much better with the visual reference. I usually write a few notes about the cigar and the month/year I smoked it. I can get 6 per page and I only put the first band of any given cigar I try into it. It takes a fair amount of work but I like being able to see all the bands of the cigars I've smoked.
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I keep all my bands, I was keeping notes in my phone but it became almost impossible to try to find anything. I find that when I am by myself and focusing on taking notes I tend to enjoy my cigar more. Most of the time when I smoke I am with others and we tend to focus on other things.

I like the idea Randy (alexa071) about keeping the band with the notes, I may have to find some kind of journal to try this. Do you keep them in alphabetical order somehow?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa071 View Post
I have a journal that I tape the cigar bands in. My memory operates much better with the visual reference. I usually write a few notes about the cigar and the month/year I smoked it. I can get 6 per page and I only put the first band of any given cigar I try into it. It takes a fair amount of work but I like being able to see all the bands of the cigars I've smoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I like the idea Randy (alexa071) about keeping the band with the notes, I may have to find some kind of journal to try this. Do you keep them in alphabetical order somehow?

I have been thinking about doing this. I have an extra hard back Moleskine notebook I was thinking about using. I just need to find a glue stick for the rings.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxstraww View Post
I'm old skool......Cigar Briefcase was the app I used.
I'm older school than that: I use a journal and a fountain pen.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I also used an old notebook for a while. I wish I had kept up with it. I would put every cigar band in there with notes about the smoke and where I had it. After a while I filled it up and then never got a new one. I think it is a great idea for a newer smoker though. Gets you to see the cigars you like so you can find the tastes that agree with you when you are looking for new smokes to try.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Hippiebrian

I don't bother with any of this. If the cigar was a dog rocket, trust me, I'll remember it!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
I also used an old notebook for a while. I wish I had kept up with it. I would put every cigar band in there with notes about the smoke and where I had it. After a while I filled it up and then never got a new one. I think it is a great idea for a newer smoker though. Gets you to see the cigars you like so you can find the tastes that agree with you when you are looking for new smokes to try.
It would be a great idea to make copies of a book like this and send it to other members to read your notes. At least I would like to read others notes so I would assume I am not the only one. Hmmm, maybe a notebook PIF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
I don't bother with any of this. If the cigar was a dog rocket, trust me, I'll remember it!
Yah it's easy to remember the 6 little letters...

GURKHA!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Cyrann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What app do you use?

I use Rate My Cigar. Works pretty damn good, if you ask me.
I use Rate My Cigar as well... love it, tons of detail, but still missing key components and sizing.

I will say this though, Arthur, the APPs creator welcomes emails and responds in a timely manner... I asked for him to include a way to track total value of ones inventory, based off # of sticks and price, and BOOM it was in the next update.

Stand up APP and dude, IMO.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Wow...I'll have to check out that App... I didn't know that it existed! Thanks all
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I got me a ledger from Mark at cigarmony.com
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #19
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I keep all my bands, I was keeping notes in my phone but it became almost impossible to try to find anything. I find that when I am by myself and focusing on taking notes I tend to enjoy my cigar more. Most of the time when I smoke I am with others and we tend to focus on other things.

I use a book-bound journal. I just grabbed the one from Officemax that looked like the pages were the LEAST likely to start falling out. Since it isn't a ring-binder there really isn't any way to reorganize once they're in there. Just out of necessity I keep them in chronological order. I tape the bands to the pages with Duck brand "HD clear" packing tape.

After awhile I have to go back and review them to make sure I'm not putting any repeat bands in. It's nice to be able to go back now, almost two years after getting into the hobby, and see the very first bands from the cigars I had on vacation that got me into the hobby.
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #20
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa071 View Post
I use a book-bound journal. I just grabbed the one from Officemax that looked like the pages were the LEAST likely to start falling out. Since it isn't a ring-binder there really isn't any way to reorganize once they're in there. Just out of necessity I keep them in chronological order. I tape the bands to the pages with Duck brand "HD clear" packing tape.

After awhile I have to go back and review them to make sure I'm not putting any repeat bands in. It's nice to be able to go back now, almost two years after getting into the hobby, and see the very first bands from the cigars I had on vacation that got me into the hobby.
That is a cool idea, I am gonna try something like this.