Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough
Default Netflix, Talk Me Into It.....

So I got my son a PS3 for Christmas and of course it has Netflix on it. A few people at work have been telling me about Netflix and all the good shows on it. Not necessarily movies, but shows. The PS3 is in my living room where my kids mostly watch tv. I'm wondering if I can stream Netflix on my laptop and watch it in my room on my LCD via HDMI ? I prefer HD shows, and am not sure how much HD Netflix offers, or if there is an additional fee for HD.

So for those who have it, or have had it, talk me into paying $8 a month for this service.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Netflix, Talk Me Into It.....

Netflix...do it!

Did that help?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
So I got my son a PS3 for Christmas and of course it has Netflix on it. A few people at work have been telling me about Netflix and all the good shows on it. Not necessarily movies, but shows. The PS3 is in my living room where my kids mostly watch tv. I'm wondering if I can stream Netflix on my laptop and watch it in my room on my LCD via HDMI ? I prefer HD shows, and am not sure how much HD Netflix offers, or if there is an additional fee for HD.

So for those who have it, or have had it, talk me into paying $8 a month for this service.

I cancelled it since we already pay for HBO and Showtime anyway. If you don't have cable, satellite or the premium movie channels, it might be worth it for the shows.

You should be able to stream via your laptop in your room, but I'm not sure if you could do it simultaneously on the same account, or if your internet could handle the load.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

there are some good shows on streaming. Depending on what you like, I'm sure you can find that or something similar.

Unfortunately all the new movies (that aren't flops) are usually only available via DVD. Many older stuff is readily available, but can leave streaming without notice. (they usede to have Dexter on streaming, seasons 1-3, until they took it off. This was before they decided to split into two different membership programs)

My father pays for the streaming for the family and all of us use it. we can be signed on to a bunch of different computers and watching something at the same time. For us it is well worth the 8 bucks.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
mariogolbee

Nick, I won't try and talk you into anything, but I have enjoyed Netflix streaming. I can stream on my iTouch, iPhone, Nintendo 3DS, Xbox 360, blu-ray player, laptop, and on my desktop iMac. The only problem is that I can't stream on more than one device at the same time. However, I can watch Prison Break on my TV with the BR or 360, go the restroom and continue it on my iPhone, iTouch, or 3DS, and then finish it on my iMac while I'm in bed trying to fall asleep.

I have it primarily for the shows, although there are still some good movies to be had. I have kept the service primarily to watch Star Trek episode across the different ST shows. Each of those seasons costs a pretty penny and renting them on DVD anywhere simply isn't efficient or cost effective.

As far as HD goes, Netflix reads your device (or something like that) and detects the quality of picture and streaming speed your devices will allow. I have seen pretty high quality picture for most of what I have watched.

I did find it frustrating the other night, because I couldn't find the "heist" flicks I had an itch to watch. Then I remembered this isn't why I have the service anyway.

These are just some observations from my own experience. Do what you will. I'm probably going to cancel my service because I find it too distracting.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I cancelled it since we already pay for HBO and Showtime anyway. If you don't have cable, satellite or the premium movie channels, it might be worth it for the shows.

You should be able to stream via your laptop in your room, but I'm not sure if you could do it simultaneously on the same account, or if your internet could handle the load.
I have DirecTv, but no movie channels. I'm not a big movie guy. I do like some older shows, and heard they have Battlestar Gallactica available, etc....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
mariogolbee

Why don't you just go onto their site and punch titles in for an hour and see if enough of interest comes up to keep you busy for the next few months? Or, get a trial membership? If you do get a trial membership, you can do it through Fleabay and get $15 in Fleabay bucks. Then you can use the trial membership, spend the Fleabay bucks, and see if you actually get your moneys worth out of it during the trial period.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have netflix. I ditched satellite and switched to netflix back in February. I have a 6 mbps internet and I have no probs streaming. Matter of fact after seeing a poster say that he can't stream on more than one device at a time I tried an experiment. I have two tvs with Roku boxes attached, one is HD and one isn't. I just played two different shows on both TVs at the same time and also was streaming an HD movie on my laptop at the same time so that's three devices at once with no quality issues. I can also attest to the fact that my brother had the lowest mbps package our ISP has (1 mbps) and he streamed HD with no problems either with a wireless connection to the Roku and only a G router. I have mine hardwired to my router. As far as the shows and movies go, my wife and I watch a lot more TV than movies and we have been watching and haven't ran out of stuff to watch yet. I also recently got the two out at a time DVD to go with it and have been happy with all of it so far.

Also when I ditched Dish Network I was paying $80 a month and now I am paying about $15 for streaming and two dvds at a time and actually watch a lot more tv than I did when I had dish network.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Matter of fact after seeing a poster say that he can't stream on more than one device at a time I tried an experiment. I have two tvs with Roku boxes attached, one is HD and one isn't. I just played two different shows on both TVs at the same time and also was streaming an HD movie on my laptop at the same time so that's three devices at once with no quality issues.
Interesting. When I try to watch a show outside on the laptop without closing it on the Mac I get a message saying that I have to close the original window first.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Not sure if the dvd subscription has something to do with that seems like i read something somewhere that said that. Or possibly with the roku boxes it makes a difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

I'll check into the ebay thing Mario, thanks.

Greg, that's good to know. I mostly watch recorded stuff off my DVR anyways, so streaming would be much the same.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I bought the Rokus because I don't have a playstation or any other thing that would stream it and have been very happy with it so far. If you go the Roku route there is a lot of free channels on the roku as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

dont.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
dont.
Care to elaborate ?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Really though, try it even if you have to pay the 8 bucks for a month then you will know if you want to keep it. There is no contract and you can suspend it or quit anytime.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montano View Post
Care to elaborate ?
For me it wasn't worth it. Not enough recent movies streaming to make it worth my while.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

If you go the roku route, I'd suggest ordering through Amazon, or trying to buy locally. I recently went through hell with Roku's customer service over a mistake with an order I placed for my dad. I ended up returning the entire order to Roku and ordering from Amazon.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

We have had it for about a year or so and I've had my fill. Rates are going up and moves/shows are getting older and crappier. there's almost no new stuff anymore when the used to be some new (pretty new) releases. lately everything I have searched for is "unavailable" the wife and I just talked about dumping it.I liken there selection to hulu of some other free sites. Maybe it's just me...
It may be worth a trial if you have no other TV entertainment.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

We got Netflix because cable and sattelite aren't worth the money, to me.

I love that I can stream to my Wii, computer, and phone, and I can stream to two places simulataneously.

It has a great selection of shows and documentaries. The movie selection is a little rocky, but there's enough there to make it worth my time. (Of course, I like B movies... MST3K!!!)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I have both the streaming and snail mail versions. I don't have movie networks, and don't miss them. I'd say give it a try if nothing else. I feel it's well worth it.