Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Cigar Quote Collection

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name.
-- Charles H Spurgeon, 19th Century Baptist Minister ("The Prince of Preachers")

"I wish to say that I'm not ashamed of anything whatever that I do, and I don't feel that smoking makes me ashamed, and therefore I mean to smoke to the glory of God."
-- Charles H Spurgeon, 19th Century Baptist Minister ("The Prince of Preachers")

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill.

"My boy! Smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life, and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."
-- Sigmund Freud - to his young nephew, Harry, after he declined a cigar

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-- Sigmund Freud.

"Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma."
-- Anonymous

"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses."
-- Anonymous

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
-- Mark Twain

"If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go."
-- Mark Twain

"Given the choice between a woman and a cigar, I will always choose the cigar."
-- Groucho Marx

"A good Cuban cigar closes the door to the vulgarities of the world."
-- Franz Liszt, Composer

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
-- Martyn Harris

"The Germans are the most philosophical people in the world, and the greatest smokers: now I trace their philosophy to their smoking...Smoking has a sedative effect upon the nerves, and enables a man to bear the sorrows of his life (of which everyone has his share) not only decently, but dignifiedly."
-- George Burrow

"There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live."
-- Moliere Don Juan

"For undemocratic reasons and for motives not of State, They arrive at their conclusions largely inarticulate. Being void of self-expression they confide their views to none; But sometimes in a smoking room, one learns why things were done."
-- Rudyard Kipling

"There's peace in Larranaga, there's calm in Henry Clay,
And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."
-- Rudyard Kipling

"A woman is just a script, but a cigar is a motion picture."
-- Samuel Fuller

"After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
-- Brad Shaw

"Women are jealous of cigars... they regard them as a strong rival."
-- William Makepeace Thackeray

Happiness is a good martini, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman ... or a bad woman, depending on how much happiness you can stand."
-- George Burns.

"I smoke ten to fifteen cigars a day. At my age I have to hold on to something."
-- George Burns (01/20/1896-03/09/1996) -- he smoked as many as ten cigars a day until his death shortly after his 100th birthday ... he died of natural causes.

"If I paid $10 for a cigar, first I'd make love to it, then I'd smoke it."
-- George Burns.

"If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral."
-- George Burns.

"When they saw me walking down the street smoking a cigar, they'd say, 'Hey, that 14-year-old kid may be going places.' Of course it's also a good prop on the stage ... When you can't think of what you're supposed to say next, you can puff on your cigar until you think of your next line."
-- George Burns.

"I use the cigar for timing purposes. If I tell a joke, I smoke as long as they laugh and when they stop laughing I take the cigar out of my mouth and start my next joke."
-- George Burns.

"I'm at the age now where just putting my cigar in its holder is a thrill."
-- George Burns.

"If a woman knows a man's preferences, including his preference in cigars, and if a man knows what a woman likes, they will be suitably armed to face one another."
-- Colette

"Where there's a good smoke there's a cigar smoker."
-- Cuban saying

"Smoking is indispensable if one has nothing to kiss."
-- Sigmund Freud

"Do not ask me to describe the charms of reverie, or the contemplative ecstasy into which the smoke of our cigar plunges us."
-- Jules Sandea

"A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman."
-- E.G. Bulwer-Lytton Darnley

"Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed."
-- Barten Holyday

"What this country needs is a good 5-cent cigar."
-- Thomas Marshall

"Cigar smoking actively encouraged."
-- sign in a London restaurant

"Remember, commander, no cigars before launch."
-- a Cuban doctor's orders to an astronaut at Cape Canaveral

"I do not seek for fame A general with a scar; A private let me be, So I have my cigar...
Some sigh for this or that, My wishes don't go far; The world may wag at will, So I have my cigar."
-- Thomas Hood

"Lastly (and this is, perhaps, the golden rule), no woman should marry a man who does not smoke."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

"Lady Bracknell: Do you smoke?
Earnest: Well, yes, I must admit I smoke.
Lady Bracknell: I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind."
-- Oscar Wilde

"In the future all men will be able to smoke Havanas."
-- Herr Doktor Schutte

"Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody."
-- from the film Pete Kelly's Blues

"To smoke is human; to smoke cigars is divine."
-- Unknown

"By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls."
-- John Galsworthy

"Gentlemen, you may smoke."
-- King Edward VII

"Now here's Bud Scott
And his old guitar,
Always smoking his big cigar."
-- Louis Armstrong

"Cognac and cigars... it's like finding the perfect woman. When you've got her, why go chasing after another?"
-- Michael Nouri, Actor

"The Christians met on the way many people who were going to their towns, women and men, with a firebrand in the hand, and certain weeds whose smoke they inhale which are dry weeds stuffed into a certain dry leaf in the form of a muset made of paper, like the ones the children make on the day of the Holy Ghost; and burning a part of it, from the other part they suck or absorb or admit the smoke with breathing."
-- Christopher Columbus

"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar."
-- Evelen Waugh

"There are two things a man never forgets - his first love and his first cigar."
-- John Bain

"That's close, but no cigar."
-- common Carnival Barker's quip

"Tobacco is a dirty weed, I like it. It satisfies no normal need, I like it. It makes you thin, it makes you lean, It takes the hair right off your bean It's the worst damn stuff I've ever seen
I like it."
-- Graham L. Hemminger

"They had no good cigars there, my lord; and I left the place in disgust."
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson

"The cigar is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle."
-- George Sand

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels."
-- Alfred de Musset

"Cigarettes are for chain-smoking, cigars must be smoked one at a time, peaceably, with all the leisure in the world. Cigarettes are of the instant, cigars are for eternity."
-- G. Cabera Infante

"This blessed gift of smoking!"
-- H.G. Wells

"A handmade cigar is a rebellion against frenzy and insanity; it means supporting contemplation over rash impulse, and represents a civilized revolution."
-- Steve Worthington

"The cigar is a great resource. It is necessary to have traveled for a long time on a ship to understand that at least the cigar affords you the pleasure of smoking. It raises your spirits. Are you troubled by something? The cigar dissolves it. Are you subject to aches and pains (or bad temper)? The cigar will change your disposition. Are you harassed by unpleasant thoughts? Smoking a cigar puts one in a frame of mind to dispense with these. Do you ever feel a little faint from hunger? A cigar satisfies the yearning. If you are obsessed by sad thoughts, a cigar will take your mind off of them. Finally, don't you sometimes have some unpleasant remembrance or consoling thought? A cigar will reinforce this. Sometimes they die out, and happy are those who do not need to relight too quickly. I hardly need to say anything more about the cigar, to which I dedicate this little eulogy for past services rendered."
-- The Duc de la Rochefoucauld-Liancourt

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"Ah, if only I had brought a cigar with me! This would have established my identity."
-- Charles Dickens

"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time."
-- Mark Twain

"I pledged myself to smoke but one cigar a day. I kept the cigar waiting until bedtime, then I had a luxurious time with it. But desire persecuted me every day and all day long. I found myself hunting for larger cigars...within the month my cigar had grown to such proportions I could have used it as a crutch."
-- Mark Twain

"I ordinarily smoke fifteen cigars during my five hours' labours, and if my interest reaches the enthusiastic point, I smoke more. I smoke with all my might, and allow no intervals."
-- Mark Twain

"Cigars served me for precisely fifty years as protection and a weapon in the combat of life... I owe to the cigar a great intensification of my capacity to work and a facilitation of my self-control."
-- Sigmund Freud

"That's why I write in so many cigar-smoking heroes and villians who chomp their cigars."
-- Orson Welles

"To fully appreciate fine cigars, it's important to recognize the various types of cigars. There are two basic categories of cigar. The lit and unlit."
-- P. Martin Shoemaker

"On a cold winter morning a cigar fortifies the soul."
-- Stendhal

"A cigar numbs sorrow and fills the solitary hours with a million gracious images."
-- George Sand

"...I promised myself that if I ever I had some money that I would savor a cigar each day after lunch and dinner. This is the only resolution of my youth that I have kept, and the only realized ambition which has not brought disillusion."
-- Somerset Maugham

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit."
-- Zino Davidoff

"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."
-- Fidel Castro

"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks."
-- Lew Rothman

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

“A Hoyo de Monterrey double corona is my favourite Cuban since Desi Arnaz.”
-- Bill Cosby, American actor and comedian

Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cigar Quote Collection

Great post....
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

One of my favorites.

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." ~M*A*S*H, Klinger, "Bug-Out," 1976
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
One of my favorites.

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." ~M*A*S*H, Klinger, "Bug-Out," 1976
Excellent!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

VR

Another...

"A cigar is like an hour-long vacation."
-- BarneyBandMan

(I think it was him... we had our mutual friend "Jack D." with us at the time.)

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

My favorite... =]

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild."
-- Keith Preston
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

"Come in here, Dear boy, have a cigar.
You're gonna go far...."

Roger Waters

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Excellent post, thanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
timo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (0)
timo will become famous soon enough

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
-- Martyn Harris

That is just beautiful!

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Joe!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Great stuff Joe.
Enjoyed the post.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

More cigar quotes

There's probably some new ones.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Cigar Quote Collection

Very nice indeed.

For me, this one was said by a true aficionado

"To fully appreciate fine cigars, it's important to recognize the various types of cigars. There are two basic categories of cigar. The lit and unlit."
-- P. Martin Shoemaker
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
More cigar quotes

There's probably some new ones.
Thanks, Ken! I had omitted a few of those... some I did not like as well as others.

But I saw a few I had not seen before that rock! Thanks.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

VR

Still enjoying these...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for starting this, Joe. I've always loved the Spurgeon quote in your sig line. I've mentioned that one to my pastor before.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I have been partial to this one ever since he said it!

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em. - Ron White
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

not cigar specific but I love this one:

Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it. It satisfies no normal need. I like it. It makes you thin, it makes you lean, It takes the hair right off your bean. It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen. I like it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Thanks for starting this, Joe. I've always loved the Spurgeon quote in your sig line. I've mentioned that one to my pastor before.
Curious... what did your pastor say in return?