Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about
Default Travelers Insurace Company

So there may be a possibility for me to take a new position with Travelers Insurance Company. Are there any current or former employees of Travelers Insurance that could give me some insite into the corporate culture, what to expect, ...? What do you like best about working for Travelers, and what do you feel needs improvement?

Any assistance is greatly appreicated.

Matt
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Travelers Insurace Company

I have never worked for them. But I had a neighbor that I knew for a couple of years (2006-2008) that worked for them and really liked the company. He seemed to be on vacation every time I talked to him.. so it can't be too bad. But seriously, he really seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited by white_s2k; 04-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.
white_s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Are they owned by CitiGroup?
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I also have a neighbor that's worked for them for years. They pay for his phone line, etc - he works from home. Always has a decent company car - matter of fact he just got a new one since once they get so many miles on them they replace them.
Never heard him complain - seems like he really enjoys it.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Junior

I like Travelers they write my E&Os every year. Been with them for going on seven years as a customer. Be prepared to not get the perks we all had last year. I lost a bounus trip that I busted my butt for all year long, and the kicker is it would have been my first bonus trip.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
I also have a neighbor that's worked for them for years. They pay for his phone line, etc - he works from home. Always has a decent company car - matter of fact he just got a new one since once they get so many miles on them they replace them.
Never heard him complain - seems like he really enjoys it.

Ron
Ron if you like his company ride talk to him. He will get dibs on it at a real good price.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input fellas. I would be in house with them, and working at their satelite office in town, so no working from home for me. I have read many possitive things about them, and from what I can tell, the negative posts online have been from disgruntled employees, that apparently didn't know the meaning of hard work. I will have to check on whether they are owned by Citi, but I think they are a stand alone fortune 100 company.

They approached me to possibly fill a vacancy left by somone who moved on, so it is not as if I am looking for a job. They called me to fill the vacancy, which is very flattering in this job market.

Matt
Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Ron if you like his company ride talk to him. He will get dibs on it at a real good price.

Every time he gets a new one - he buys the old one for his son. Not a bad deal for the kid - getting a newer ride every few years. I seem to remember him saying that his son makes payments to him to cover at least half the cost - but still a good deal for the boy.

As for me - if he starts getting F350 Diesels, King Ranch editions as company rides - then we are gonna talk -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I just did a little searching and Travelers was purchased by Primerica which was owned by CitiCorp (CitiGroup). It was then spun off and eventually sold off. They did not get their red umbrella logo back until 2007 when they were able to buy the rights from CitiCorp.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Every time he gets a new one - he buys the old one for his son. Not a bad deal for the kid - getting a newer ride every few years. I seem to remember him saying that his son makes payments to him to cover at least half the cost - but still a good deal for the boy.

As for me - if he starts getting F350 Diesels, King Ranch editions as company rides - then we are gonna talk -

Ron
It was all I could do not to buy a King Ranch 3/4 ton diesel a couple of months ago. I just figured I didn't need one with no farm and two kids. I think the truck may be a little over kill for pulling a lawnmower trailer twice a year.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
pearson
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
Army (Active)
pearson is on a distinguished road

I use them to insure my tools and they have been good so far but I have never had to make a claim. Dont know if that helps or not.
pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
CoventryCat86
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
CoventryCat86 is on a distinguished road

I think it's a good company, I have all my insurance with them and I know people who work at the main office in Hartford. They say it's a good place to work.

Nowadays, ANY place is a good place to work.

mhailey, where are you going to work for them?
CoventryCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

In Colorado. I would be in-house counsel in the workers' compensation side of the business. I still have to decide whether or not I want to work for them. They approached me for a position, while I was not looking to change jobs.

Matt
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
HawkEye19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jason
Trading: (6)
HawkEye19 is on a distinguished road

St. Paul Companies merged with Travelers in 2004. The current company has nothing to do with Citigroup.
HawkEye19 is offline   Reply With Quote