Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Any MacBook Air owners?

It looks like it might be a fairly good platform for what my wife needs a laptop for, and we are thinking that it might be a good choice other than a new aluminum MacBook, thought I might pick a few brains if possible.
I think the Remote disc is a novel idea, and the lack of the optical drive isn't really a hassle unless you wanted to watch a movie on the spur of the moment. You can get the air superdrive if you want to carry an optical drive and you are still at a package of notebook and drive under 4 pounds. She is a teacher, so a Mac is the best choice as far as a platform and compatible with her software at school for grades and such and seamless integration.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Stog-a-Boy
Looks like I'm back...

First Name: Evan
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Stog-a-Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any MacBook Air owners?

I don't have one, but have played around with them alot at the Apple store and really like them. And you can get an Apple Refurbished one for $999.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

-Evan
Stog-a-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Pete,
Only thing I don't like about them is the limited hardrive, along with the external CD/DVD.
I would think that is a hassle to need it and have to lug it.

However, if you don't need a larger hardrive and want something thin and light, no doubt the way to go.

I would go with the new MacBook myself over the Air.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

I just picked up a new white macbook and I love it. it's a little bigger but for what I need it for (pretty much what your wife needs it for) I'd pick the macbook over the air
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Just got back from the store. I have the white macbook myself, and it is a fine machine. We looked at the new unibody macbook, and it really looks like that for the extra couple hundred bucks over the 999 refurb mac air, a new unibody is the best choice, a bit more robust, and quite a bit lighter than the old version (like mine). The unibodys are 4.5 pounds, and the white ones are 5.0, which is a pretty nice reduction. I looked into the .me program, and that also looks like something that would be well worth the investment for what Beth and I do.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Just got back from the store. I have the white macbook myself, and it is a fine machine. We looked at the new unibody macbook, and it really looks like that for the extra couple hundred bucks over the 999 refurb mac air, a new unibody is the best choice, a bit more robust, and quite a bit lighter than the old version (like mine). The unibodys are 4.5 pounds, and the white ones are 5.0, which is a pretty nice reduction. I looked into the .me program, and that also looks like something that would be well worth the investment for what Beth and I do.
Pete,
I have mobileme and it is indeed nice but I still have the jury out on the $99 per year crap. I just renewed it and I guess still sore over the fee.