Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Netflix, Talk Me Into It.....

I think it's personal preference but I don't think Hulu Plus is even close to netflix in my opinion. I tried it and with the commercials and there catalogue isn't as good to me. Not trying to argumentative Jared, because we all see things differently. My main thing is I was paying $80 a month for satellite and found myself primarily watching TV Land. I am now paying around $15 for streaming with two dvds out at a time.

I guess what I don't understand is I know no one ever likes prices going up but cable, satellite etc is astronomical in cost compared to netflix and $15 a month is chicken feed compared to what I was paying. I do get that if you are a moviephile and watch tons of new realeases maybe I understand. But for 15 bucks a month I get all the streaming and I can usually get around 4 dvds a week maybe 6 if I watch them the day I get them. Are the people that are continually complaining about the price increase expecting to get cable package or satellite package amounts of content for $8 or $15 a month? I am just asking and not pointing out anyone in particular especially Jared. If someone wants to pay cable package prices to get the package then fine, but I just don't get how it seems like some folks expect the same amount of content for a fraction of the price. If I am wrong then I am wrong. this is meant as a friendly question and not a jibe.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #22
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

You get a free one month trial by signing up. Then if it's not your bag, you cancel and owe nada. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

One thing to note about streaming -- which may or may not affect you. Both my son and I share my Netflix account. He is streaming only (lives at school) and I use both DVD and streaming.

The less expensive streaming services will not allow you to stream simultaneously to more than one device. I had to upgrade my service to allow streaming to two devices simultaneously....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
One thing to note about streaming -- which may or may not affect you. Both my son and I share my Netflix account. He is streaming only (lives at school) and I use both DVD and streaming.

The less expensive streaming services will not allow you to stream simultaneously to more than one device. I had to upgrade my service to allow streaming to two devices simultaneously....
When you say upgrade do you mean you had to add the dvds?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I think it's personal preference but I don't think Hulu Plus is even close to netflix in my opinion. I tried it and with the commercials and there catalogue isn't as good to me. Not trying to argumentative Jared, because we all see things differently. My main thing is I was paying $80 a month for satellite and found myself primarily watching TV Land. I am now paying around $15 for streaming with two dvds out at a time.

I guess what I don't understand is I know no one ever likes prices going up but cable, satellite etc is astronomical in cost compared to netflix and $15 a month is chicken feed compared to what I was paying. I do get that if you are a moviephile and watch tons of new realeases maybe I understand. But for 15 bucks a month I get all the streaming and I can usually get around 4 dvds a week maybe 6 if I watch them the day I get them. Are the people that are continually complaining about the price increase expecting to get cable package or satellite package amounts of content for $8 or $15 a month? I am just asking and not pointing out anyone in particular especially Jared. If someone wants to pay cable package prices to get the package then fine, but I just don't get how it seems like some folks expect the same amount of content for a fraction of the price. If I am wrong then I am wrong. this is meant as a friendly question and not a jibe.
well put. heck I didn't see this as a personal "jibe".
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
When you say upgrade do you mean you had to add the dvds?
Yes. Or if I was streaming only, I could have paid for more streams.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #27
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Okay Michael that explains why I was able to stream three devices at once then.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #28
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I bought the Rokus because I don't have a playstation or any other thing that would stream it and have been very happy with it so far. If you go the Roku route there is a lot of free channels on the roku as well.
I got Roku for Christmas. I'm loving it.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #29
Dr Voss

I had Netflix for about 6 month. It worked well and I could watch on the wii or my laptop. Only had occasional problems with the streaming not keeping up but most of the time it was pretty good. There are a ton of TV shows available but they do seem to come and go a little. The biggest reason I got rid of it was the movies. If you really enjoy a steady diet of 4-20 year old flix it's got tons, if you are looking for anything recent don't waste your time and just go to YouTube and rent it. You are going to spend a little more money but save a ton of frustration.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

We have the streaming. I like it for the kids shows for my daughters and older (relative) TV series that we can watch/catch up on.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #31
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I'm a stock holder. You should buy into it to bump my stock price

No but really - I keep a streaming account. I don't usually have the patience to sit through a movie in one sitting any more. However - it is nice for all of the TV shows on streaming. Between the TV shows, National Geographic shows, and stand-up comedy it is well worth it to me
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #32
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
I'm a stock holder.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm Sorry!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I get my money's worth from the TV shows....Been through a number of commercial-less series that I missed when first-run; 24, Prison Break, Breaking Bad, Damages, Day Break, Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, Sleeper Cell, Intelligence, Rescue Me, Soap, Firefly.....
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I watch Netflix every day. I'm just about finished with the whole Star Trek Voyager series. For 8 bucks a month, it can't be beat. The movie selection is decent, but all the old series are what I generally watch. There's tons of Family Guy and that sort of thing, too.
It'll only cost you 8 bucks to give it a shot, I think you'll like it.

The HD stuff is pretty much non-existent. You can order bluray discs at a premium if you want the mail service. The old tv shows are cropped for tv and they're in standard def, just like they're supposed to be. The video quality depends on your connection. I have my downstairs tv hard-wired but the DVD player upstairs is wireless. That picture is a bit less resolute, but well within a decent range.
So your laptop/hdmi will work, but don't expect HD from an analog recording from 15 years ago.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #35
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Apologies for the thread jack, but I was also looking into netflix but was interested in seeing their anime selection. Their previews aren't to bad but I was wondering how big their anime selection is and if they add or rotate their selections?
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I don't watch anime, Greg. But I can tell you there's tons of it and they rotate everything. There's new anime in the new releases all the time. I can't say if any is what you like or even worthwhile, but it's there.
Again, it'll only cost 8 bucks to find out. It's easy to cancel right from your account at netflix.com, too.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #37
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I'm Sorry!
Don't be. It spiked to almost 100 the other day. I dumped off my shares (at a profit mind you) and am waiting for my limit buy to kick in now that it is sliding back down
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #38
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

And the verdict?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
And the verdict?
Still deciding. I'll probably do the free trial and go from there.....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

If it helps any, my wife and I have had Netflix for over a year now. We originally had streaming + 1 dvd by mail (it was free streaming). Netflix got cute and started charging for both individually so we dropped streaming (if your into shows its cool but the movies on streaming SUCK) and had 1 DVD at a time. This was super cheap but we were always fighting about what movie showed up (a guy can only watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Notebook so many times before he loses it). We now have 2 DVDs at a time by mail and we love it; I get my movies and she gets hers so it's a win win. We stay on top of our movie watching and consistently go through about 3 movies per week. Just DON'T be that guy who gets a movie in the mail and lets it sit there for 3 weeks without watching it. If you do that, then Netflix will not be worth it and just be sucking money out of you. We make ours so it's a better deal than redbox at the end of the month.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote