Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road
Default Quesada Seleccion Espana

Additional photographs available on cigarphoto.net

Quote:
This week we are reviewing Quesada Seleccion Espana in a corona size. If you are wondering why you haven’t seen or heard about ‘Espana’, it is because this specific line is being marketed in Spain. Luckily, few selected shops in US were fortunate enough to add this gem to their inventory. Unfortunately, for us, cigar smokers, quantity was limited and interest very high. Fume Cigars was one of the few lucky shops able to bring all three vitolas: petito robusto, robusto, and cigar I’m reviewing today, corona.

Quesada Seleccion Espana was definitely a roller-coaster to say the least. I’m smoking my third sample as I type this review and this cigar definitely falls into ‘third time’s the charm’ expression category. I continue to appreciate the fact that we are smoking hand made products and that should be taken into consideration when construction of particular cigar is described. Having said that, I believe it is acceptable to expect a decent draw and construction. Well, unfortunately that was not the case with first two samples. Tight draw, lack of flavor, twig were the unfortunate highlights. Second sample showed drastic improvement after ‘manual’ intervention so I knew that Quesada Seleccion Espana had a huge potential.

Full circle and we are back to third sample. In flavor department, I was able to extract enjoyable coffee, sweetness and woodiness. I was hoping for a hint of spice to balance the previous two but unfortunately that wasn’t the case, even on the retrohale. In addition, but less noticeable, was lingering chocolaty / nutty flavor on the palate. Compared to the first & second sample, the last cigar turned into a smoke machine. The amount of smoke, when puffed / resting, reminded me of Liga Privada No9 and for those who smoked LP9 know how much smoke this cigar can produce. Burned was excellent and no touch-ups were needed. Decent 3/4″ tight ash pimped the front of the cigar.

As you can tell, this was definitely a peak/valley experience. If I was to judge Quesada Seleccion Espana solely on the first two cigars, I don’t think I would have made a lot of friends in Quesada family. However, after smoking third sample, I’m glad I bought a box of Quesada Seleccion Espana coronas. I’m being told that petit robustos are as delicious as coronas and therefore I’m putting them on the ‘to-buy’ list.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Quesada Seleccion Espana

Fantastic photos!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Nice review and photos. Looks like i have another stick to add to my list.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
mikemets

I've had the Coronas...excellent cigars.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

These won't be limited to Spain only, they are also coming to The Netherlands to replace the Tributo series
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
These won't be limited to Spain only, they are also coming to The Netherlands to replace the Tributo series
As well as the US. A few shops are getting them but in small quantities.

Smoked the short robusto as well as the corona, and I thought they were pretty damn good.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
jerseyjay is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys !

Agree w/ US comment. And I'm glad market is expending throughout Europe. I never said it was limited to Spain

Since smoking coronas, I have received robusto. Looking forward to it.