Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #21
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So Politically Correct we can't talk?

As part of work I get around to different parts of the world and I have encountered people of many different beliefs. There was always one common thing with the rest of the world different than what we experience in the US ... they all made sure to include everyone not try to be PC and exclude something because they thought someone would be offended.

We commonly receive a Merry Christmas from our clients in all parts of the world including Asia and the Middle East.

Something to think about for the new year, pause open your mind and try to include everyone. You might be surprised that most people around the world are just like us, they want to enjoy life and provide a good life for their family.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Jay
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #22
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

I'm not a Christian, and it doesnt' bother me in the least bit when someone wishes me a 'Merry Christmas'

I do celebrate the holiday, and I'm careful to wish the people I'm around a 'Happy Holiday', because my job does require sensitivity in a very culturally diverse workplace

I can sympathize with both sides of the argument.

I choose to be respectful to those who do not celebrate the Christian version of Christmas, or participate in other (Hanukkah, Kwanzaa) holidays.

I also have a couple of friends who, due to their religious beliefs, do not celebrate any holidays. We've talked about this very subject... When someone wishes them a "Happy Thanksgiving", they simply say "Thank you".

BTW, I celebrate Halloween and I'm not a Celtic Pagan, either...

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #23
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Merry Christmas!
That wasn't hard to say. Heck, I can even say
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Chinese New Year!!!
Chinese New Year is not for two months Pete...c'mon that common knowledge! Now I'm offended!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
piperman

Everybody please have a Merry Christmas and Happy New year
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #25
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I make it a point to say Merry Christmas... but to friends and acquantances (sp) who are Jewish I wish them a Happy Hanukkah. If I offend someone and they let me know I will apologize for the offense but not for my greeting.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #26
theycallmedan'lboone

Friend of mine wrote this : He is rather barbaric in language (he's a lawyer)
"Tonight in the center of my town they have what's called the "Holiday Stroll". The two main streets are already covered in wreaths, garland and lights. Looks awesome. The stores have specials, the food places put little booths on the street. There is a place to take pics with Santa. And, being a very dog friendly town, many pups are dressed with bells and hats. All in all, quite festive.

And if I buy something or meet someone on the street, I will say to them "Merry Christmas". Therein lies the problem. When, and admittedly I may have missed the interoffice memo on this, did the words "Merry Christmas" as they left my mouth somehow turn into "**** you" before they hit the tympanic membrane of the person I said it to? Because from the look on many people's faces, that's exactly what type of inexplicable phenomenon occurs to me on a daily basis for the past few years.

Now I promise you, if I wanted to say "**** you", "go kill yourself with a wooden spoon" or " I did your Mom and she wasn't half bad" I would. I say some or most of those things daily. All I said was Merry Christmas. Let's examine what I mean by that, pre-phenomena:

"MERRY CHRISTMAS".

WHAT I MEAN by this is let's all enjoy each other's company this fine season. Peace on Earth, good will towards men. Santa Claus. Presents. Mo' presents. Christmas Trees. Candy Canes. Lights. Reindeer. Still mo' presents. Remembering family times past. Especially those with my Dad, that I miss very, very much. Eggnog. Parties. Building a snowman with my daughter. Sleigh rides through Central Park. The window displays on 5th Avenue in NYC. That really comforting quiet when you go outside on a snowy night. Let's forget for a bit the problems of the world and our own. Christmas dinner. And yes, mo' presents.

WHAT I DON'T MEAN is mine is the true religion. Yours sucks. Only mine should be celebrated. Your traditions mean nothing to me. Convert or die (we leave that schtick to others). And of course "**** you", "go kill yourself with a wooden spoon" and "I did your Mom and she wasn't half bad".

I don't care what religion you are. Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan. Worship a head of iceburg lettuce. Good for you. I'll respect yours as long as you respect mine. Frankly, we here at Team Roman Catholic are happy with the starting roster we have and are not looking for any free agents. Please point out Santa, Rudolph or candy canes in the Bible and I'll knock this **** off muy pronto.

You know what it has come to here? Stuff like in the UK. My daughter's daycare center sent home a note for all parents. Essentially, "In respect of all religions and their holidays, we will celebrate none" OK, fine. But parents *****ed about my daughter's "I Believe In Santa" sweatshirt? For this I truly do mean "go kill yourself with a wooden spoon". Do you hate my traditions that much or are you so unsure of yours? Either way, get a ****ing life. She's 3 years old. Imagine ****ing this. A THREE YEAR OLD GIRL LIKES SANTA. Holy ****, stop the presses. Do people just say this to go along with the herd? Has everyone lost their collective ****ing minds?

I never thought I would live to see the day when "Merry Christmas" was considered an insult. So, while I do mean it with for all of the good reasons I mentioned above (I LOVE Christmas), I issue this warning. If I say it and you say it back, say Seasons Greetings, Happy Holidays, etc. Fine. If you say nothing, fine. But IF you look at me like I said any or all of the three past mentioned phrases, it's on. If I know I can get to you because of this, I will haunt you on the street, store or whereever the **** you choose until you say "Well, I NEVER...." and storm away with your hubby and your Scotty dog into your Lexus and speed off. This Christmas season, I draw my line in the sand...ur...snow. In the spirit of Christmas but of course."
Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #27
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Chinese New Year is not for two months Pete...c'mon that common knowledge! Now I'm offended!
that was 10 months late, for last year, you Dork.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #28
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
Friend of mine wrote this : He is rather barbaric in language (he's a lawyer)
"Tonight in the center of my town they have what's called the "Holiday Stroll".

And if I buy something or meet someone on the street, I will say to them "Merry Christmas". Therein lies the problem. When, and admittedly I may have missed the interoffice memo on this, did the words "Merry Christmas" as they left my mouth somehow turn into "**** you" before they hit the tympanic membrane of the person I said it to? Because from the look on many people's faces, that's exactly what type of inexplicable phenomenon occurs to me on a daily basis for the past few years.

Now I promise you, if I wanted to say "**** you", "go kill yourself with a wooden spoon" or " I did your Mom and she wasn't half bad" I would.

You know what it has come to here? Stuff like in the UK. My daughter's daycare center sent home a note for all parents. Essentially, "In respect of all religions and their holidays, we will celebrate none" OK, fine. But parents *****ed about my daughter's "I Believe In Santa" sweatshirt? For this I truly do mean "go kill yourself with a wooden spoon". Do you hate my traditions that much or are you so unsure of yours? Either way, get a ****ing life. She's 3 years old. Imagine ****ing this. A THREE YEAR OLD GIRL LIKES SANTA. Holy ****, stop the presses. Do people just say this to go along with the herd? Has everyone lost their collective ****ing minds?

Almost everybody feels this way. Why do we subject ourselves to the tyranny of the minority?

BTW, half my family is Jewish (I am not) and we say "Merry Christmas" to one another.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Almost everybody feels this way. Why do we subject ourselves to the tyranny of the minority?

BTW, half my family is Jewish (I am not) and we say "Merry Christmas" to one another.
"tyranny of the minority"???

no one has really answered my question from before. what's *wrong* with defaulting to an inclusive greeting? what's wrong with the email in the OP (aside from being a little verbose)?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
Darrell

Merry ****ing Christmas!

How about that?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #31
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Merry ****ing Christmas!

How about that?
that was a little subdued and subtle for you ... must still be drugged up post-op.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #32
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post

no one has really answered my question from before. what's *wrong* with defaulting to an inclusive greeting? what's wrong with the email in the OP (aside from being a little verbose)?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just as there is absolutely nothing wrong with wishing someone a Merry Christmas. If I offend anyone with that I tend to really offend them when I tell them to go f themselves.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #33
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:

In my opinion, it is defaulting to a "lowest common denominator" designation. That repulses me. If someone uses it because they like it, that is one thing, if it is used because they wish to be PC, I would rather not be subject to their "sensitivities." I would, however, smile and return the greeting.
It's a bit like saying "Good Morning" to someone between the hours of 12 AM and 12 PM and thinking that particular phrase becomes somehow offensive if they indeed work the night shift and it is actually their evening.
if a holiday phrase (or cartoon, actually, now that I think of it), is enough to "offend" anyone, they need to re-evaluate more than the ramifications of a couple of words, or showing the bottom of a shoe, for that matter.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
tnip23
New Patriotic Dissenter

First Name: Troy
Trading: (2)
Partagas
tnip23 is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I don't care what anyone uses as a holiday greeting. I say Merry Christmas to everyone, unless I know they celebrate something else. To me saying Merry Christmas is the same as saying "I wish you all the best this holiday season", so if someone is offended, I simply don't care.

Being offended is another silly concept, no one can offend me unless I choose to allow myself to be offended. Too many people, by choice, decide to be offended by other's statements and many go around looking to be offended. That is what I despise about political correctness, it assumes that anything any individual deems to be offending is inappropriate, even if it is something as innocuous as saying Merry Christmas.

Oh, and everyone please have a Merry Christmas! (the definition is explained in the first paragraph as to my intent with this greeting)
Old 12-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #35
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post

Axeman i agree with almost all of your post!! I know exactly what you mean by 'tyranny of the minority'.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #36
Darrell

Quote:
that was a little subdued and subtle for you ... must still be drugged up post-op.

Thanks for the support, Herr Dok!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #37
Ace$nyper

It's a time of the year as stated before, like the old joke do they have july 4th in England?

Lets say you are Jewish I wish you a happy holiday I'm not trying to convert you I'm just saying I hope Dec 25 is a nice day for you.

I'd not be bothered if someone said have a good *holiday here* even if it's not what i'm doing it's still a nice gesture.

If anything happy holidays is just, lazy and less personal.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #38
Tombstone

Christmas is getting close i need to pick out my Holiday tree.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #39
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I interchange them all the time. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. I also don't see why using an inclusive greeting is such a big problem.

It's a very pleasant greeting at the end of the day and shows respect and care, even if the person saying it is being "PC".
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #40
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post

If anything happy holidays is just, lazy and less personal.
How is that? Happy Holidays is the same number of words as Merry Christmas and has a greater number of syllables.

Seriously though, I don't see anything lazy about it at all. You are still hoping the person has a happy holiday at the end of the day, aren't you?
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote