Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default wireless home security camera system

Recently had stuff stolen from the barn. Probably just kids, but got me thinking that if they were on camera I could make life unpleasant for them!

Anybody here well versed in camera security systems that don't cost an arm and a leg? Maybe something that I can check while traveling as well? Overwhelming amount of stuff on the 'bay and downright confusing. Also have no idea if it's any good. Need the help of my BOTLs on this one!

TIA!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: wireless home security camera system

I do not know anything about these systems but I do see a 6 or 7 camera system for DIY projects offered frequently on WOOT...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Not sure of a brand, but check Sams Club online or Costco. I have seem them in the store for a couple hundred bucks. I always read the reviews before purchase. Good Luck brother
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

I have Foscam wireless cameras in my house. They work great and can remote access them once i created a port forward in my router. Since I have a server at home I can also save pics and video from motion to my server.

They are relatively inexpensive and there are enough online tutorials and videos to help you get setup.

Good luck
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

It's been a number of years since I looked into security video surveillance systems, I don't know whether this is still the case or not, but at the time, low cost (anything under about $1500-1700) systems were best avoided if you were serious about it.

A lot of this stuff, even the cheaper systems, looks ok on the in-store demo where everything is brightly lit and the camera is trained on objects only a short distance away, which is great if you want to video in your retail store, but that's not your real-world.

The cheap cameras typically don't give a clear enough picture, especially at distance and/or under lower light conditions, to identify someone and the lower end DVRs don't record at a high enough resolution to zoom in on playback. Good low light & no-light cameras will also cost you a bit more.

Something else to look at is the DVR's ability to offload the data in a useable format. Does it have a DVD burner built in or not, can it transfer files to your computer, do you need proprietary viewing software or is it a standard mpeg-4, etc...

Lastly, remember to check local laws about security camera footage and it's admissibility. You might have to meet certain conditions, ie: put up signs indicating that security video is being recorded, if you expect to be able to use the footage in a legal matter.

Last edited by T.G; 11-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

While I have never used their security systems, I have had luck with some of the other home automation products from the company "X10." I also know they have real people you can talk with or chat online with through their website, who helped me with some minor home automation I did a couple years ago. Might be worth a look if you want to build a system using components (they have kits too, but I just picked the different stuff I wanted, it all worked together)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

This one aint wireless because after researching, you can't really go over 4 cameras on wireless without getting interference. This one is awesome. It has a DVR and it records in D1 Resolution which is surely good enough to indentify and it has night vision that works great as well. Swann also has an app for my iphone that I can tap in anytime and view all the cameras. There is also software for my laptop that allows the same thing. I lucked up and have a friend who installed it for me at $25.00 a camera which is super cheap, as some charge anywhere from $100 to $250 per camera for install. I have about $950 in the whole thing and have been very pleased with it for over a year.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
hotreds

Bolivar

Which one, Greg?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

This one, Hugh.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
hotreds

Bolivar

Am I not seeing links for some reason?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Which one, Greg?
Sorry must have got preoccupied and forgot the post the link.

http://swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1403

coulda got the one with 540 tv lines but chose the better one with 640. You can identify someone from these very easily. I have three inside and 5 outside.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

There are some that use wifi but they can be a bit complex to setup. They would fit the bill well though. They may also have security risks like remote access from outside users, but i doubt your barn has stuff where someone would be looking to hack your security camera. Remote access camera are very easy to find just with google(Ill let everyone else do the looking), so if you go that route, please set it up carefully.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2U20Y31595
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

supercirciuts.com

They have something to fit most price points and they have educational pages as well.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
G G
BR549

Bolivar

And I forgot to say that the one I have has a usb port for offloading the video, or you can just download it to your computer through the monitoring software. Swann also has it's own dns servers or you can use dyndns.org for remote viewing and the customer service is great helping you set it all up if you don't know how.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

This is timely...woke up to this on the morning news...I bring it up so you can see the vidoe and understand the differences in quality of picture.

http://www.13wham.com/news/features/...era-7573.shtml
Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Good review and article on the Dropcam Pro, easy set up and use one nice thing is the motion / event activated alerts it can send out.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...itoring-system
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote