Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough
Default DSLR Recommendations

I'm looking to upgrade from your regular digital camera to a DSLR model. Im new to DSLR's but i want something I can learn with and also grow into. I've been to Pittman Photo and looked at the Nikon D5100 and the Canon T3i. I like the feel of the Canon a lot and they're both similarly priced. I've thought about buying the body alone but looking around at lens recommendations and the Canon 18-55mm is highly recommended as a 'take everywhere' lens. What do you guys think?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: DSLR Recommendations

I have a nikon d90 which is no longer made but are still avail. What is ur price range. The d5100 and 3100 should do good for a beginner to dslr. The 18-55mm is a good starting point. You may want the 55-200 or 55300 too for more reach
Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

The D90 is a bit out of my price range. Barely though. To start I'd like the 18-55mm lens to get my bearings then the 55-200mm and up since I want to get into wildlife photography. Most of the game I've been trying to photog is in the 150-300 yard range.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Any DSLR will leave plenty of room for you to grow as you learn. Canon and Nikon are both great companies, it mostly comes down to personal preference. Try them out at the store (but buy online to save money) and see what you prefer. Your next purchases will be lenses, and those are ultimately more important than the camera.

If you don't need video, look at the T2i (I don't think it does video, maybe it does?). The T2i is more than capable and you'll save $$$ over the T3i.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
IndyRob
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
IndyRob is on a distinguished road

Can't really go wrong with either. I have first gen Canon Rebel that I love. I really need to diversify my lenses though.
IndyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

I've been giving thought to selling my 50D
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Looks like the only difference in the T2i and T3i is the swivel LCD screen, and another flash feature. Maybe the T2i is the best bet for me and leaves me money for a better lens.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I am a nikon fan but for the money either nikon or cannon will be your best bets they are the standard. There is a Nikon point and shoot that has interchangeable lenses however it is not going to be the same as a DSLR Also checkout BHphotovideo.com They have both new and used equipment at some very reasonable prices.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You can start with a Rebel, but I'd go with a 30 or 40 or 50D. For wildlife you'll need a 100-400 lens, which with the 1.4x the Ds give you will give you a 130-520 range. The 18-55(25-77) will be a good closer in lens. The older D models can be had fairly cheaply on the bay- the 100-400 will run you close to a grand. Fredmirandadotcom is a good place to check out cameras and lenses.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

All great companies, but I chose Pentax several years ago for my first dslr. I'm now on my third generation. Everything else being pretty equal, the Pentax as the nice ability of being able to use every Pentax mount lens made for the past 30 plus years. Heck, I use some old manual focus lenses from the 70's and they work perfectly. They can be had cheap too.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Nikon - Canon - Canon - Nikon - either or. Whatever feels better in your hand. Personally I like Canon in the DSLR but always go with Nikon in the point and shoot.

Most people never use half of what their cameras will fully do so if you like the Canon T2 or 3, either one will serve you for years. You will of course learn that the glass is of high importance.

Buy online if you want to - but do so from a trusted dealer - i.e. BH Photo, etc. There are a lot of gray cameras out there that you won't get a warranty with or they will try to sell you extra stuff that should have been in the kit to start with (assuming you buy a kit). You may want to buy the body and then the glass - saving you from the kit glass that you may grow out of pretty quick.

Craigslist is used for more than axe murders - I have bought and sold equipment. Good thing about it is that you try the equipment before you buy. I picked up an $1800.00 lens for just under $900.00

Don't buy a lens without getting at least a good skylight for protection.

Get a good book. Scott Kelby is one of my favorite authors - informative, cuts through the bull crap and has a sense of humor.

There are a lot of really good photographers on CA so don't be afraid to ask about stuff later - learn from the mistakes of others.

Also since you are interested in shooting wildlife at distance with those long lens - start looking now at good tripods, poles, etc. And learn what your mirror lock up does.

Good luck with it all!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I have an older Canon 20D and it still takes amazing pictures. When the fiancée and I have kids, I'll be picking up a 5D and some L primes and maybe a telephoto L. I kind of lost interest in the hobby a few years back, but still get requests to do photos of friends kids and stuff. I love Canon though. Also, +1 on the kelby books. Makes post processing much easier to deal with. I hate the post processing aspect more than anything, and really try to get the photo right out of the camera. Shoot in raw!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I have the T3i. I like it. I paid $675 for the t3i kit and the 55-250 and 75-300.

This was after the $400 rebate with printer offer. I then sold the printer for $200
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
Wanger

We picked up a T2i bundle on Black Friday, and we've been very happy with it so far. Got the 18-55 and the 75-200 lenses with it. The T3i was a few hundred more, and we didn't feel that the minor (to us) upgrades were worth it. Wasn't sure that we'd use the swiveling function on the LCD display all that much. Did a bunch of reading and had narrowed it down to Nikon vs. Canon. One of the thigns we heard is that the Canon lenses were "universal", where the Nikon ones were not. Never checked that out, and when we looked at them and held them, the Canon just felt like a better fit for us. Now we just need to play and get some good pictures with it.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

I know you guys said to stay away from the kits but check out these two:

Canon T2i:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Model-Ca...#ht_7001wt_994

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-T2i-Ca...item27bb585da3

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Canon-EOS-Re...d=p3286.c0.m14

Nikon D5100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-D5100-...#ht_1638wt_689

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-D5100-...#ht_1638wt_689
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I'm a Canon whore, they roped me in with a customer service experience I had with them a few years ago. That's one thing I will give Canon, they offer very good CS.
As far as the DSLR bodies go, the main difference between Nikon and Canon........Canon lenses are more expensive. Nikon as Image Stabilization built into the camera body, Canon puts it in their lenses.

I have the T2i and have been very satisfied with it. I recently rented a 24-105mm L lens. The L series lenses blew me away compared with a non L lens. That being said, most of those lenses start at over $1000. If you are planing on shooting wild life, you will need an expensive lens to get the up close shots and a big zoom lens needs IS to make it clear or a tripod.

I would give Nikon a hard look if it were me. Your lens cost in the long run would probably be less overall. That's not to say the Nikon lens is a lot less expensive, but having IS built into a camera body means less moving parts in the lens.

Like mentioned earlier, get a good book. I have the Canon T2i for Dummies book and it was a great place to start. You learn about the camera functions and what each setting will do and you get a general introduction into DSLR photography. A have a couple other books that have been helpful as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Be careful of the 75-300 lens without Image Stabilization, you will need a tripod to get a really clear picture with that lens if zoomed in all the way. It's a decent lens, but the lack of IS makes it difficult to get a clear shot (for me at least).
Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Nikon as Image Stabilization built into the camera body, Canon puts it in their lenses.
Incorrect. Nikon VR is in the lens not the camera. Pentax IS is in the camera
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I love my canon 60d. I got it because it fit in my hand well. As far as lenses go what do you want to do with it?
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Also if you buy online be very careful. There are a lot of companies that look like you are getting a deal and they play bait and switch.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote