Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #41
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Apple Announces iPhone 4S

This is a good site to see what new phones are coming out on the horizon:

http://www.phonearena.com/
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #42
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
...As for the topic of the I4S. i think the biggest thing bar none that apple needs to do with the IOS firmware is get flash support...
I don't think that will ever happen. Apple is looking for HTML 5 to solve this problem for them.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #43
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
just wait.. google is supposed to be announcing a Samsung/Google nexus prime(October 11th at some event). Which will have more development support, new android system and higher hardware specs. It should also support google wallet. Which might be a cool feature.

I have a moto bionic. Although its pretty cool. I liked the droid charge for user friendliness, development friendliness(custom ROMS) and it was lighter. MOTO blur is crap, its locked down like a vault and the phone is built pretty cheaply. IE lots of soft plastic.

As for the topic of the I4S. i think the biggest thing bar none that apple needs to do with the IOS firmware is get flash support. Sure i dont use it ofter but its great not to see broken webpages when i need to.
Quote:
on the contrary. The LTE network is exceptional if you are in an area with it. I have an unlimited data plan as im grandfathered in. I use to for my downloads on campus as not to get into trouble. Even with a USB phone tether my phone is 10x faster then my dorms internet. Verizon also hasnt been able to throttle LTE yet. So even if i go threw 10gb in a week(just an example), they cant slow me down other then to kick me off which they wont do.
I have a Charge and my wife just got the Bionic. I couldn't agree with you more . . . two GREAT phones. I don't jailbreak my phones ever so the fact that the Bionic is locked down is not an issue for me. I do find though that the Bionic is a little smoother likely due to the faster processor. So for me, I wish I had the Bionic. As far as data network, there's no comparison between 3G and LTE. The data is so much faster and I actually don't mind surfing the internet on my Charge and the apps work so much faster. The bigger screen is an improvement as well. It's easy to see web pages and reading emails is not a problem at all.

As a former iPhone user, I can honestly say I STRONGLY prefer the Droid platform. I was thinking the new iPhone would make me regret the switch but I'm happy to say . . . the 4S catches Apple up to what Google phones have been doing for quite some time now and not even all the way. Maybe when the 5 comes out it'll be a closer contest.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #44
Resipsa

Quote:
on the contrary. The LTE network is exceptional if you are in an area with it. I have an unlimited data plan as im grandfathered in. I use to for my downloads on campus as not to get into trouble. Even with a USB phone tether my phone is 10x faster then my dorms internet. Verizon also hasnt been able to throttle LTE yet. So even if i go threw 10gb in a week(just an example), they cant slow me down other then to kick me off which they wont do.
With the weightlessness and all I've heard playing basketball on the moon is great too

The network doesn't do most people much good since it's not in a lot of areas yet

And they don't need to throttle you, youre misunderstanding either the issue or the technology

Throttling refers to the speed of the network, like a governor on a car engine

Data caps limit how much data you can download, regardless of network speed.

Verizon has a 2 gb cap for most people. Streaming. A hd movie would blow through that cap in mere minutes on a lte network
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #45
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I left my iPhone in NYC so ill be upgrading.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #46
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
With the weightlessness and all I've heard playing basketball on the moon is great too

The network doesn't do most people much good since it's not in a lot of areas yet

And they don't need to throttle you, youre misunderstanding either the issue or the technology

Throttling refers to the speed of the network, like a governor on a car engine

Data caps limit how much data you can download, regardless of network speed.

Verizon has a 2 gb cap for most people. Streaming. A hd movie would blow through that cap in mere minutes on a lte network
On that side of the coin i agree. If you are upgrading to a smart phone and have a data cap or are not living in a LTE are. Its a moot point because either to dont have it or will use so much data so quickly.

as for the throttling, yes i understand what it means.What i was refering to is that. If you are grandfathers into unlimited data. Verizon starts throttling your network data speed above 5gb on the 3g network. If i remember correctly. But they are unable to do this on LTE as of yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #47
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
...Which makes LTE moot, and only further announces Verizon's senselessness.
They have the Reverse Midas touch. Everything they lay their hands on turns to sh1t.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #48
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
...Which makes LTE moot, and only further announces Verizon's senselessness.
They have the Reverse Midas touch. Everything they lay their hands on turns to sh1t.
its a tiered systemwith 2, 5 and 8gb options. Att is doing the same to new smart phone customers. so im not sure why it makes only Verizon senseless.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #49
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
its a tiered systemwith 2, 5 and 8gb options. Att is doing the same to new smart phone customers. so im not sure why it makes only Verizon senseless.
Use math. Compare the throughput, data options that it serves, and figure out what it will cost to actually use it an any manner that would take advantage of it's (theoretical) speed and throughput.
It's like filling a quart jar with a firehouse and charging 10 bucks every time you get a drink.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #50
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Use math. Compare the throughput, data options that it serves, and figure out what it will cost to actually use it an any manner that would take advantage of it's (theoretical) speed and throughput.
It's like filling a quart jar with a firehouse and charging 10 bucks every time you get a drink.
fair enough, it was really a silly idea.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #51
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I guess my son isn't getting my iPhone 4 like he thought!!!
oh come on dad you promised me!
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #52
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

all this NFC and LTE talk. I remember actually having this model and thinking I was cutting edge and my parent's house had a rotary;

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #53
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
all this NFC and LTE talk. I remember actually having this model and thinking I was cutting edge and my parent's house had a rotary;

this was my first

I now have

I hate the bionic so much right now. I might actually get the nexus prime after its been out a month or so...

nexus prime will be both LTE and NFC.

Last edited by Devanmc; 10-06-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Devanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #54
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

So back on topic, I'll be buying the 4s for my wife to replace her 3GS. She's overdue for an upgrade and she probably won't notice when I swap my iPhone 4 with her 4s after a few days
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote