Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #181
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
hey guys im new to the Bourbon world. But Stew (tech ninja) got me hooked. I have some recent purchases Four Roses Small Batch, and Basil Haydens. BH is my favorite thus far
BH is a good one.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #182
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
hey guys im new to the Bourbon world. But Stew (tech ninja) got me hooked. I have some recent purchases Four Roses Small Batch, and Basil Haydens. BH is my favorite thus far
Two good choices. Also check out Elmer T Lee, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace. All great bourbons at a reasonable price.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #183
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I have decided to clean out some of my Bourbon Stash, as I will never be able to dink them all in my life time, and I am always looking to try, new to me, Bourbons & Whiskey as well!

I have the following for sale, and will be posting more from time to time. PM me if you have any interest.

I’ll be happy to post additional pictures if requested.

Jim Beam 10yo Kentucky Straight Bourbon/Whiskey – 750ml, 40% alc/vol, 80 proof.

This is a Collector Decanter, featuring a reproduction of a painting by J. Lockhart. They are impossible to find in any retail setting. I believe these were produced in the 1970’s. This bottle is in mint condition and is sealed, never opened.

It’s almost impossible to find any reviews on this 10yo Jim Beam, as it was only used in their various Collectible Decanter Series. All I can say, is that it is far superior to the standard Jim Beam and even the 5yo Jim Beam. I have been through two of these over the years and as I recall, the flavor profile is distinctly that of dark fruits, apricot & raisins, just like fruitcake!

My price is $35.00 plus $15 for insured S&H, via USPS, within the Con. USA.

Early Times Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky – 750ml, 43% alc/vol, 86 proof.

This is a Collector’s Bicentennial Limited Edition 1776-1976 Decanter, dedicated to the state of Illinois. They were very limited and are now impossible to find in any retail setting. These were produced in 1975, in preparation for the 1976 Bicentennial Celebration. This bottle is in mint condition and is sealed, never opened.

My price is $35.00 plus $15.00 for insured S&H, via USPS, within the Con. USA.

Seagram’s Crown Royal Blended Canadian Whiskey – 750ml, 40% alc/vol, 80 proof.

When this was my go to whisky, many years ago, I purchased several cases for my cellar. The tax stamp is dated 1969. This bottle is in mint condition and is sealed, never opened. Little needs to be said about how great a whiskey this is. Of course taste is very subjective, and if you are not a fan, that’s understandable, however, this is truly an amazing whiskey, at a truly reasonable price. This bottle is over 40 year old.

My price is $50.00 plus $15.00 for insured S&H, via USPS, within the Con. USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-042S.JPG (33.0 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-054S.JPG (36.5 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-061S.JPG (23.2 KB, 473 views)
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #184
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road

Just found 2 more bottles of Stagg ... 07 and 08.. They are now in my cellar.. hehe.
AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #185
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBill View Post
Just found 2 more bottles of Stagg ... 07 and 08.. They are now in my cellar.. hehe.
Nice Score!
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #186
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road

I love smooth bourbons like Markers Mark and Jim beam Black (so I dont really like Wild Turkey).

Is Elijah Craig 12 year a smooth bourbon?
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #187
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo14 View Post
I love smooth bourbons like Markers Mark and Jim beam Black (so I dont really like Wild Turkey).

Is Elijah Craig 12 year a smooth bourbon?
I find Elijah Craig to be a bit firm/rough, on the palate. That's just my humble opinion. I could never really enjoy it.

However, If your looking for smooth, I highly recommend the following:

Seagram's Crown Royal
Basil Hayden 8yo
Knob Creek 9yo
Old Forester
Four Roses
W.L. Weller 12yo
Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #188
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I agree with most of what Johhny said. In all honesty though, if you really do enjoy Beam and Makers, your likely to enjoy almost anything....
Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #189
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

So I was in Louisville, KY last night for work and my hotel had the most ridiculous bourbon bar called Jockey Silks. They had over 160 different bourbons to choose from. Everything from Ancient Age to George T Stagg to Pappy Family Reserve. I got to try a couple Pappy's and Van Winkle's that I've had my eye on as well as one of my new favorite small batch bourbons, Jefferson's Reserve. Man is this stuff good! Below is a picture of the bar. Sorry it's not clearer, but I had to go back pretty far from the bar just to fit it all in, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00009-20090217-2057.jpg (104.1 KB, 500 views)
Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #190
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
So I was in Louisville, KY last night for work and my hotel had the most ridiculous bourbon bar called Jockey Silks. They had over 160 different bourbons to choose from. Everything from Ancient Age to George T Stagg to Pappy Family Reserve. I got to try a couple Pappy's and Van Winkle's that I've had my eye on as well as one of my new favorite small batch bourbons, Jefferson's Reserve. Man is this stuff good! Below is a picture of the bar. Sorry it's not clearer, but I had to go back pretty far from the bar just to fit it all in, lol.
Is that heaven? Wow...that may be worth a trip!! Nice find!
There's a place here in NYC....I forget the name....the Library or something that supposedly has a stock like that.....time to start searchin'
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #191
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Just wondering if anyone else has tried the NEW Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. Found it in Atlanta this weekend. First I've seen of the "Sweet Mash" edition. Better than last offering, that's for sure. Lives up to the title "sweet" More flavor than the Four Grain, but definitely sharped. Much more bite.

Was good enough I purchased two bottles!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #192
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has tried the NEW Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. Found it in Atlanta this weekend. First I've seen of the "Sweet Mash" edition. Better than last offering, that's for sure. Lives up to the title "sweet" More flavor than the Four Grain, but definitely sharped. Much more bite.

I haven't tried it but sounds like I need too. Where in Atlanta did you find it?
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #193
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:

I tried it and passed on a bottle the $80-$90 price tag just isn't worth it. I really didn't enjoy the sweet mash at all. The wine that they did a while back that was in wine casks is another story, now that's some good stuff.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #194
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
Is that heaven? Wow...that may be worth a trip!! Nice find!
There's a place here in NYC....I forget the name....the Library or something that supposedly has a stock like that.....time to start searchin'
Yeah, they even have the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection behind the bar, $10 a shot. The fact that it was there really surprised me, but the $10 price tag really shocked me, I figured it would be much more given the rarity.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #195
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Yeah, they even have the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection behind the bar, $10 a shot. The fact that it was there really surprised me, but the $10 price tag really shocked me, I figured it would be much more given the rarity.
Hell I see Knob Creek and such for $9-10 a glass at a lot of places, i would love to see the antique selection offered let alone at those prices.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #196
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is the place in NYC. I haven't been there yet, but it looks like a nice place to go to sample different things... (if you're rich) Check out there Whiskey Menu....

http://www.brandylibrary.com/sections2007/home.htm
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #197
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
This is the place in NYC. I haven't been there yet, but it looks like a nice place to go to sample different things... (if you're rich) Check out there Whiskey Menu....

http://www.brandylibrary.com/sections2007/home.htm
Very nice selection. Prices are also very expensive on some of them. Another GREAT bourbon that I tried that night that I was very impressed with was Elijah Craig 18. Very good!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #198
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I haven't tried it but sounds like I need too. Where in Atlanta did you find it?
Off Camp Creek Road, a large store in front of the Publix, about 2 miles N of I-285 crossing. New, large commercial area. Can't remember the name of the place, and it doesn't show up on my card except as CampCreek World...

Will look for receipt and get back to you.

I am just the opposite, Bengalman!! I didn't care for the Sonoma Cutrer at all. Loved the Four Grain, though. I found the Sonoma at several placed in Gatlingburg in January, even marked down to less than $70 per bottle! Would be a buy for those who liked that vintage, for sure!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #199
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Off Camp Creek Road, a large store in front of the Publix, about 2 miles N of I-285 crossing. New, large commercial area. Can't remember the name of the place, and it doesn't show up on my card except as CampCreek World...

Will look for receipt and get back to you.

I am just the opposite, Bengalman!! I didn't care for the Sonoma Cutrer at all. Loved the Four Grain, though. I found the Sonoma at several placed in Gatlingburg in January, even marked down to less than $70 per bottle! Would be a buy for those who liked that vintage, for sure!
I know exactly where you are talking about, i will check it out thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #200
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Not a fan of Eagle Rare. Oh well, there are many to sip on.

Quote:
So I was in Louisville, KY last night for work and my hotel had the most ridiculous bourbon bar called Jockey Silks.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to sit down in there for a sampling.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote