Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default HELP: My Lighters Won't Stay Lit

I don't really need help, but I do want to understand why.

I recently bought a propane-fired space heater for the garage to ward off the chill of New England winters whilst I enjoy an after dinner cigar. I'm a big fan of the word "whilst", but I digress. Because I'm also a big fan of go big or go home, I probably bought a larger heater than I really needed. This thing pumps out A LOT of heat, and our single stall garage is toasty warm in no time; toasty to the point where I'm comfortable in a t-shirt. (Sans heater, I'd need a full winter jacket to keep warm as the garage is not insulated all that well.)

Here's my problem. Once the garage becomes hot, my lighters refuse to work. I only have torch lighters and have experienced the same problem with all of them, so I know it's not an issue with a single lighter. Quite by accident I discovered that upon opening the garage door, they go back to their old torch-like reliable selves.

Obviously, there's something about the heat (or maybe the humidity?) that's causing the lighters to fritz out. My question is: WHY?

BTW, I've come up with a work around by leaving the garage door open just a tiny crack, but I'm interested in understanding the science behind what's happening.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: HELP: My Lighters Won't Stay Lit

a little short on the O2 mix after that big monster uses a big gulp with a big flame?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Vin, wish I could offer some insight to this, but Ive never had any issues with the lighters being too hot. On the contrary, if the lighter is sitting on the table, and gets too cool, i cant get them to light.

You should keep the door cracked anyway, you dont want Grace to come in there and find you passed out.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like you have an oxygen shortage with that propane heat monster sucking it all up. You might want to check that situation as you could go out with the lighter. Not much other reason for the door opening to cure the problem.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
... You should keep the door cracked anyway, you dont want Grace to come in there and find you passed out.
Any chance she has found him passed out before?

(Unrelated to the heater, of course.)
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Vin, wish I could offer some insight to this, but Ive never had any issues with the lighters being too hot. On the contrary, if the lighter is sitting on the table, and gets too cool, i cant get them to light.

You should keep the door cracked anyway, you dont want Grace to come in there and find you passed out.

Seems like your lighter is a canary.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
massphatness

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Any chance she has found him passed out before?

(Unrelated to the heater, of course.)
Maybe ...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
a little short on the O2 mix after that big monster uses a big gulp with a big flame?

It's probably also pumping out Carbon Monoxide. Keep that door cracked.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Don't run the heater in an enclosed space. You need fresh air. It should have come with multiple warnings about this.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Odd... Usually COLD butane won't light. Got me!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post

It's probably also pumping out Carbon Monoxide. Keep that door cracked.
Indeed! Strongly recommend a carbon monoxide detector. Also, make make sure you heater has an "oxygen depletion sensor" built into it.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Don't run the heater in an enclosed space. You need fresh air. It should have come with multiple warnings about this.
Dude..... Read the directions????

Man card revoked...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

i agree with some of the others in this thread, when you are using that heater for a prolonged period it is using up a lot of the oxygen in the garage thus the sensitive torch lighters will not stay lit. you should be very careful being in an enclosed space with that heater if the lighters dont have enough O2 to light it is probably not enough for you
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Switch to an electric heater - that is what I have in
my garage (got the heater at costco) and my lighters work fine.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

You know, I have the same problem with one of my torch lighters.

If I have it in my back pocket for a long time and it gets a little hot just from body heat, it doesn't want to stay lit...

I picked up a Xikar and it doesn't matter how hot that thing gets, it lights every time.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
You know, I have the same problem with one of my torch lighters.

If I have it in my back pocket for a long time and it gets a little hot just from body heat, it doesn't want to stay lit...

I picked up a Xikar and it doesn't matter how hot that thing gets, it lights every time.
With respect, this is probably not the same problem. The OP described a situation where the space heater is too large for the space and is using up the oxygen in the air. This is very dangerous!

Please, let's not confuse a potentially life threatening situation with sticking a lighter in your pocket.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
With respect, this is probably not the same problem. The OP described a situation where the space heater is too large for the space and is using up the oxygen in the air. This is very dangerous!

Please, let's not confuse a potentially life threatening situation with sticking a lighter in your pocket.
My apologies, I should have read a little more and skimmed a little less...
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
My apologies, I should have read a little more and skimmed a little less...
No need to apologize. I'm just worried that we need to get the OP to take action to protect himself.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
mariogolbee

Vin, here's my take on your situation based on what I've learned of combustion reactions while studying Organic chemistry thus far.

Propane and butane both both use oxygen during combustion in order to produce energy. In your case propane is used in your heater whilst butane being used in your lighter's. Butane is composed of a 4 carbon chain whilst propane is composed of a 3 carbon chain. In order to have a balanced chemical reaction the higher carbon chain fuel will need more oxygen in order to fully combust. The higher carbon chain being butane. This part of my answer is fact.

I hypothesize that the propane is getting sufficient oxygen for combustion, at least for a time, whilst leaving the butane with insufficient oxygen, being a higher carbon chain, and therefore needing more oxygen than the propane to react. This is the best answer I have as to why your lighter's won't work in your garage while the door is shut and the heater is on. According to this hypothesis, if you had a lighter which used methane or ethane, it would likely work.

There is slightly more to it but that's about the gist. You really should leave the door open though because the propane in your heater will not fully combust with a limited oxygen supply and will therefore also produce carbon monoxide which will bond to your hemoglobin and deprive your cells of much needed oxygen. Since carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless it is undetectable to humans and can often be fatal before noticing symptom's of it's affect on the body.

In short, leave the door open. I like you and would prefer that you remain alive my friend. If you do fancy the door being closed then I implore you to get a carbon monoxide detector as was stated by other BOTL on this thread. I hope this was a helpful answer to your question of why your lighter behaves the way it does in your given situation.

Last edited by mariogolbee; 01-21-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Cleaned it up a bit.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
massphatness

ERdM

Ok ok ok - door open

Thanks for the concern guys. My mom always said cigars would kill me. It would be just a tad ironic if something horrible happened in my pursuit of this "hobby".

Your points are very well taken. You can consider me slightly less warm in the garage though much more oxygenated.

Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote