Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #41
Drphilwv
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Phil
Trading: (1)
Punch
Drphilwv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cigars & our better half...

My wife (who is also a doc) likes anything I smoke. Sat in the hot tub last night counting stars, smoking cigars, and enjoying a nice cognac. If that shortens my life it will be we'll earned. Her choice is macanudo portifino
Drphilwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #42
Mr. Grimes
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Cass
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Mr. Grimes is on a distinguished road

My new girlfriend (of one month) doesn't mind at all. She even tries a few and commented this evening how she enjoyed the smell of a Padron I was smoking. She even made me an awesome gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (108.1 KB, 264 views)
Mr. Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #43
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Thoughtful gift.
I sure hope she slid the stick inside the cello and didn't jam it up into the cigar.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #44
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grimes View Post
My new girlfriend (of one month) doesn't mind at all. She even tries a few and commented this evening how she enjoyed the smell of a Padron I was smoking. She even made me an awesome gift.
That's the best bouquet ever.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #45
rooneymurph
Stairway to Seven

First Name: Ryan
Army (Served With Honor)
rooneymurph is on a distinguished road

The Mrs. surprised me with an early birthday present -- stopped to buy some cigars this past Saturday, walked out of the B&M with a new humidor, punch cutter, hygrometer and...cigars.

She's been very accepting of my hobby, much more than I anticipated.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #46
jevex
Just in from the Storm

jevex is on a distinguished road

I've been puffing for 35 years, now - though I blushingly admit to having started with El Cheapo's (Swishers) until a customer converted me to the good sticks.

At first, the Mrs. objected - couldn't deal with the 'stench' from them, so I had to take them outdoors. Bit of a problem, as I live in PA, where it DOES get a mite cold in winter. Fortunately, that banishment ended when her employer's office complex went smoke-free and SHE had to step out for a cigarette.
Though I was now allowed a cigar (once weekly) indoors, during inclement months, she never tried one - no matter how many times I offered.

Then, in 1998, we "won" this free Florida/Bahamas vacation trip. Had to look at time-shares, and wound up buying one in Kissimmee that backs onto Disney property. But, then we went to Freeport. Checked into our hotel and wandered next door to a big collection of shops, amongst which I found a cigar shop. Having never had a Cuban cigar, I grabbed a small handful to last the 3 days we were to be there. I guess the 'novelty' of smoking a Cuban got to the Mrs., as she cadged a few puffs off of my after-dinner RyJ that night, and (catch me, I'm fainting!) commented that the taste and the aroma weren't bad, at all!

Next morning, though, we discovered that Hurricane Georges (which they had expected to cruise into the Gulf) had taken a northerly turn and was barreling down on the Bahamas. Needless to say, the cruise ships were full to capacity that afternoon, heading back to Ft. Lauderdale - and me with 4 Cubans left to deal with. We managed to find a table on the fantail (for those of you who don't know, it's as far 'downwind' as one can get, on a ship, which is where they typically put the "smoking" tables) and sat down, each of us lighting an RyJ corona. (I sold the other two, at slight profit, to another couple, at the next table over.) The Mrs. puffed hers until it was only about a 1.5 inch stub, and then tossed it overboard. And then, as she was looking a little pensive, I asked her what she was thinking. She told me that she was looking back over all those times I'd invited her to smoke with me, and she'd turned me down.

That apparently broke the ice, for her. I tend to smoke 3 or 4 a week, and she's not quite at that point, yet. But on Friday or Saturday night she'll join me for one. I'll make lattes, and we sit and unwind and chat about our weeks. In the summers, that usually takes place in the hot-tub end of our pool. And, on our annual trip to Florida, we always stop at JR's and browse the humidor. Last time, we each walked out of there with a couple boxes apiece of our favorite smokes.

This past April, for my 60th birthday, she surprised me with a 3500-stick capacity tower humidor from an online discounter (Cheap Humidors) to replace a home-built unit that was beginning to fail. We also went out to dinner at Leaf Cigar Bar & Restaurant in Exton, PA. It was a 2-hour drive, but the meal and atmosphere was worth it. We invited my guitar teacher (a fellow aficionado) and his wife to go along. And it was MY wife who persuaded HIS wife to try HER first cigar. (A mocha "Flavours" from CAO.
And, yes, she loved it.)

Just last weekend, we had that couple over for swimming and a cook-out, and then broke out the cigars as twilight descended. Mid-way through the chatting in the hot-tub, the ladies started asking when we were going to take another trip to Leaf.

I'll sort of apologize for such a lengthy post, but a wife like mine is worth bragging on, at least in my opinion!
jevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #47
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Awesome, jevex. And welcome to the Asylum.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #48
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

I think my wife is slowly starting to come around to my hobby. She no longer rolls her eyes and complains at me when I bring up cigars, and the other day she even told me that a colleague of hers mentioned that there's a tobacco shop with a small humidor near where I work. (I already knew about it, but I didn't tell her that. 10 years of marriage has taught me some sense, lol.)
Heavy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #49
wardn10
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ward
Army (Served With Honor)
wardn10 is on a distinguished road

My wife is very supportive even though she really doesn't like the smell. I smoke outside and usually shower afterwards. Every once in a while I'll jokingly offer her a smoke and she replies "you really want to see me turn green, don't you!"

She has no idea how intense my affair with Cigarbid has become.
wardn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #50
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
My wife tolerates it. She isn't a fan of my smoking cigars, and hates the taste of it in my mouth when we kiss. However, she also realizes they are a stress management tool, and therefore tolerates, and sometimes will say, "do you need to go off and have a cigar and a beer?"

To our wives!!!
This is about where I stand as well. My wife knows and appreciates that I go out with the guys and have a few cigars on Monday nights. She does not like how I smell, but also knows that it is how I manage the stress of my job, in order to provide for our family, so she doesn't say much.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #51
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardn10 View Post
My wife is very supportive even though she really doesn't like the smell. I smoke outside and usually shower afterwards. Every once in a while I'll jokingly offer her a smoke and she replies "you really want to see me turn green, don't you!"

She has no idea how intense my affair with Cigarbid has become.
You know if she is a redhead depending on the shade of green that could be really hot
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #52
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

My wife started out supportive even tried a few draws then about 2 years ago she went a complete 180 hates em. I do my best to keep her and the cigars separated such as smoking outside taking a shower afterwards brushing my teeth after and more. I will just continue to treat my cigars as a girlfriend and keep them away from her at all costs.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #53
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I had always thought my wife was more-or-less indifferent. She doesn't care for the smell of smoke or the way I smell afterwards, but she's never had a problem with me smoking either. Then, much to my surprise, she presented me with a very nice 50-stick leather-wrapped humidor with an engraved plaque reading "You light up my life. From your smokin' hot wife." as an anniversary gift. I take that as at leas implicit support, even if she doesn't appreciate the imparted scents.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My wife thinks smoking cigars is sexy, supports my hoarding, and it tickles her that it makes me happy. She loves to go to herfs with me and she used to smoke cigars with me. She used to smoke cigarettes and the cigars were setting off that smoking urge, so she just tries mine now.
I couldn't be more blessed, she's that way about everything.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #55
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Scott you are a lucky man. My (newly made) fiance is not happy when ever I smoke a cigar. I recently went down to a .8 position at my work and have a good possibility of getting one day a week at my local B&M. Evem though it will bring in extra money she still isn't happy about it. She's a nurse and it's mostly the health risks which I can understand. I'm trying to get her to understand that it's something other than golf, alcohol, and BBQ'ing that truly makes me happy.

Oh....and her of course!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #56
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Tell her it beats being nagged to death.

My wife doesn't miss my cigarette smoking every 45 minutes so she welcomes the change to cigars 15 months ago.
She may ask "did you have your cigar yet today ? " I know that means she'd like to sit on the porch for a while with me. Sometimes I'll let her
She'll say "that one smells nice" . But I just can't get her to smoke one ! Maybe some day !
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

Well, my wife tried her first cigar tonight, a Acid Blondie single pack that the local Speedways have started selling. She wasn't really that fond of it, said it tasted like stale coffee with creamer. I'm still hopeful of finding something she'll like, maybe something with some chocolate notes.
Heavy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #58
xerais
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Matt
xerais is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend absolutely hates the smell of cigars, and adamantly refuses to try smoking one. However, she is extremely supportive of me smoking them, going as far as to buy me new singles to try and looking up events and things she thinks I may be interested in attending.

I'm a lucky man.
xerais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #59
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

I too am lucky with a woman who enjoys me enjoying a great smoke. Occasionally she will light one up with me.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #60
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

There are plenty of things my wife busts my balls about. Cigars are not one of them. Thank God. I won't go so far as to say she encourages my cigar hobby, but she doesn't give me a bad time about it, which is a joy. I am grateful for that.

I try not to make it a pain in her ass tho: I don't smoke too often, I don't have a massive walk-in humidor, I don't spend all of our money on cigars. And I rarely smoke indoors. On occasions when I do, I make every effort to clear the smoke out. My dream of dreams is to someday have a cigar room complete with a top-of-the-line air filtration system. But until that day arrives, I'll continue to enjoy 99.9% of my cigars outdoors.

You know what they say, "happy wife, happy life."