Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #301
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islayphile View Post
Allegedly, they spent 15% of their entire season budget on the last episode for Blackwater.

So I'm expecting some epic ass kicking battle scenes.
It's an epic battle in the book... they could make this crazy...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #302
kickerb

Great! I hope they don't let their audience down, like they have done in the past.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #303
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
Great! I hope they don't let their audience down, like they have done in the past.
I suspect that far more people are watching the show than the amount of folks who have read the books.

If you don't know the books, you can't be too disappointed if the show isn't following them 100%.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #304
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I haven't read the books but one of my friends has read all of them, another the first two and both say the idea/story of his books is great but don't think Martin can write well. They enjoy watching the show more & say the dialogue of the show is much better
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #305
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am personally glad I have not read the books. I understand them to be dry and overly-detailed. The show is not, haha.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #306
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Game of Thrones-inspired Troop Auction lot: HERE
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #307
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Vin, you are one MESSED UP YANKEE! LOLOLOL
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #308
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Haha! That's awesome Vin
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #309
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Not a bad episode but again it suffers from focusing on a few characters instead of the whole. Many were not in this episode.

No spoilers so I'll elaborate when everyone seems to have caught up.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #310
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Great episode!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #311
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Great episode!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #312
cigaman1979

Thumbs up Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
+1

great episode
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #313
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Strange I guess I am somewhat alone then or maybe just overly critical. I can't understand why Daenerys Targaryen had zero screen time again. The dragons and whatnot have interested me as to where they will go with it and IIRC with the last 2 episodes she has 1 minute of screen time. The dragons haven't had much screen time either and they were the BIG introduction at the season 1 ending...how deceiving.

Also Jon and the wildlings do not show up in this episode. No one in karth or whatever is in the episode. Also IIRC Rob Stark wasn't in the episode or Lady Stark. Arya Stark wasn't in the episode.....I could continue on but really the only key people in the episode were the Lannisters and Stannis's army. So I have to say....filler episode for the second week in a row.

This show REALLY needs more then 10 episodes per season, they are leaving out people all the time. I can't understand how with SO many key characters you have so few episodes. They are trying to tell an epic story with many people and trying do to it in 10 episodes with a few filler episodes here and there.

I also didn't find the battle to really be on an epic level. The ships getting taken out was really cool but after that it really felt small scale. Definitely not the massive army I was hoping for.

I had also assumed there would be more wellfire or whatnot. The ship was loaded but I figured they would be throwing it down on Stannis's army as well.

Seems like the Lannisters had half a plan and Tyrion had to improvise.

Not really a rant but I'm done.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #314
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Vin, you are one MESSED UP YANKEE! LOLOLOL
I wouldn't recommend calling anyone in the Boston area a Yankee. It won't go over well (think baseball).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Strange I guess I am somewhat alone then or maybe just overly critical. I can't understand why Daenerys Targaryen had zero screen time again. The dragons and whatnot have interested me as to where they will go with it and IIRC with the last 2 episodes she has 1 minute of screen time. The dragons haven't had much screen time either and they were the BIG introduction at the season 1 ending...how deceiving.

Also Jon and the wildlings do not show up in this episode. No one in karth or whatever is in the episode. Also IIRC Rob Stark wasn't in the episode or Lady Stark. Arya Stark wasn't in the episode.....I could continue on but really the only key people in the episode were the Lannisters and Stannis's army. So I have to say....filler episode for the second week in a row.

This show REALLY needs more then 10 episodes per season, they are leaving out people all the time. I can't understand how with SO many key characters you have so few episodes. They are trying to tell an epic story with many people and trying do to it in 10 episodes with a few filler episodes here and there.

I also didn't find the battle to really be on an epic level. The ships getting taken out was really cool but after that it really felt small scale. Definitely not the massive army I was hoping for.

I had also assumed there would be more wellfire or whatnot. The ship was loaded but I figured they would be throwing it down on Stannis's army as well.

There are really just too many different story lines to do all of them justice.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #315
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Epic!!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #316
kickerb

Quote:

From what I have gathered, Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons are not all that relevant in the second book, therefore not getting screen time. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that they need more episodes. But, this episode was titled blackwater. It was all about the battle. And I can see where some viewers would be disappointed with it. I loved, for one fact only...they didn't skip the scene! Many other battles have happened where we see the start, and then the end with no actual battle scene. It was awesome to actually see some gory battle action.

I think you might be forgetting that the show is based on the book, so if a character is not getting screen time, it is simply because they are not getting book time. I have heard from people who read the books that you can go hundreds of pages before circling back to a particular character.

With all that being said, the show is called Game of Thrones, I would hardly call this last episode filler, as it was a major fight for the throne.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #317
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I guess I was stating from the fact that the last scene in season 1 was Daenerys Targaryen and the dragons that it would only make logical sense they have a decent bit of time in season 2. However this is not the case, as I said....deceiving and a bit disappointing.

Also, I deemed it filler because who didn't know the Lannisters would prevail? I never read the books but I knew that battle was over for Stannis before the episode aired. So why waste 10% of the season on it? Maybe I just prefer a good story to some action violence I could see in THOUSANDS of movies that has all been done before.

I really think all of the problems and my complaints lie in the small seasons for such a big show. Aren't the ratings enough to allow for 2 more shows budget? Even if it's mostly story and nothing big and expensive?

Or maybe I just like to b!tch a lot and should just enjoy the show for what it is not what it should be....
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #318
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
Also, I deemed it filler because who didn't know the Lannisters would prevail? I never read the books but I knew that battle was over for Stannis before the episode aired.
Who could have called that Ned Stark would've gotten his head chopped off at the end of Season 1? I've always heard that the books, and thus the show, are anything but predictable
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #319
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess I was stating from the fact that the last scene in season 1 was Daenerys Targaryen and the dragons that it would only make logical sense they have a decent bit of time in season 2. However this is not the case, as I said....deceiving and a bit disappointing.

Also, I deemed it filler because who didn't know the Lannisters would prevail? I never read the books but I knew that battle was over for Stannis before the episode aired. So why waste 10% of the season on it? Maybe I just prefer a good story to some action violence I could see in THOUSANDS of movies that has all been done before.

I really think all of the problems and my complaints lie in the small seasons for such a big show. Aren't the ratings enough to allow for 2 more shows budget? Even if it's mostly story and nothing big and expensive?

Or maybe I just like to b!tch a lot and should just enjoy the show for what it is not what it should be....
I think you nailed the issue right on the head there.

The battle at Blackwater was a HUGE part of the book - the tension leading up to it, the preparation leading up to it, the actual battle itself, and then all the character story lines that were affected by the battle - the fact that they dedicated an entire episode to it isn't surprising really.

The problem is though, that there is SO much in the book to cram into 10 episodes that you will feel like you're missing out on some things when you don't see most of the characters in one episode. Sure in the books you might go for half a book without hearing from one of the characters, but if you haven't read the books it can easily make the show feel like it's missing pieces. I personally didn't miss Jon, Daenerys, Robb, etc...because I knew they'd be back and the story was busy focusing on Stannis/Tyrion/Sansa.

I know this isn't the way it should be, but I feel like anybody who is watching the series should read the books, and anybody who read the books should watch the series. The show SHOULD be able to stand on its own in terms of comprehension of story lines and characters, but it is so much easier to understand it if you've read the books. Since I've read the books I'm just sitting back and enjoying seeing the visuals of all the things I remember, and whatever they're missing from the books I just fill in from my memories. The problem right there is if you haven't read the books you don't have that information
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #320
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I am personally glad I have not read the books. I understand them to be dry and overly-detailed. The show is not, haha.
over detailed, yes, but nowhere near dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Game of Thrones-inspired Troop Auction lot: HERE
Muahahahaha! This lot rocks. Having Vinny as your personal Jaqen? Priceless...