Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #81
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wheel of Time fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I did end up rereading the whole series this year, finishing up about a month ago. As soon as I finish up a couple of other books I'm reading, I'll hit Towers of Midnight. It's sitting on my desk.

Sanderson did a great job on Gathering Storm. I wonder how detailed the notes Jordan left were, and if he had had time to flesh out any of the final story himself?
From what I've read Jordan outlined the remainder of the story and how it should end before he died. The last few books before he died were starting to get back into progressing the main story after too long of wandering off in tangents and unimportant characters. I think Sanderson is bringing the story to life, and providing most of the dialogue and interactions, but the main story points were sketched out by Jordan.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #82
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
From what I've read Jordan outlined the remainder of the story and how it should end before he died. The last few books before he died were starting to get back into progressing the main story after too long of wandering off in tangents and unimportant characters. I think Sanderson is bringing the story to life, and providing most of the dialogue and interactions, but the main story points were sketched out by Jordan.
According to this interview with Sanderson, there are a few whole scenes that Jordan wrote, the rest is outlines, notes, etc.
Finished up ToM last night, great read! I think I'll have to pick up a few of Sanderson's other books to tide me over until the last WoT book comes out in "early 2012."
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #83
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Release date news:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the...t-has-been-set

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #84
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
After all this time, I guess I can wait another 11 months. Maybe I can time re-reading the whole set prior to the release date.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #85
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Wow. Last year I heard this was tentatively set to be released next month. Then I read fall of 2012. Now the beginning of next year? Astounding.

I was gearing up to read all 12 books leading up to the fall release, but I guess I have some time to wait. Sigh.

Thanks for the link though good to know I shouldn't be expecting it any time soon, haha.

Edit: I can't be that mad I guess, it's a HUGE book that takes a long time to edit. I'm just overly frustrated at TOR never EVER releasing anything near their tentative release dates. Not like "oh, we're a month late" more like "oops, sorry, here it is a year later".

It's still better than George R.R. Martin's release schedule though! haha.

Last edited by Brutus2600; 02-17-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #86
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

When Towers of Midnight came out I attended one of Brandon Sanderson's book signings and he "promised" that the wait between books would not be so long -- six months tops -- he went on to say Jordan's policy of two years between books was much too long. So now he exceeds that by having 2.25 years between books...

Oh well. Gives me some extra time to re-read before A Memory of Light comes out.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #87
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Memory of Light is out in hardcover and I started into it last night.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #88
Bluetick
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bluetick is on a distinguished road

I'm into the first 90 pages, it's a little "dry" so far.
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #89
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
So what else is new??

These books don't get juicy until about the 600 page mark

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #90
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
I'm at page 67 and still trying to figure out what is going on as they have bounced around a lot describing what the minor characters are doing. I recently reread the entire series so that I might stand a slight chance of remembering more of the details. I wished they had released the Kindle version as this book is massive and I read it on Metro commuting to work.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #91
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

My copy came in on Monday, but been traveling this week and haven't had time to get started. Might change that this weekend.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #92
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Brandon Sanderson is going to be at a local bookstore tomorrow evening and I am going to go see him, get a couple of books signed and listen to a short reading from MoL.

I have all but one of my Jordan books signed and I am really looking forward to it!