Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 10-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Wheel of Time fans?

I usually stay on top of things like this better, but I just found out last night while poking around on Wikipedia that the new WoT book, The Gathering Storm, is out tomorrow. Apparently Brandon Sanderson (who took over the series after Robert Jordan passed two years ago) decided that Jordan's plan for one final book was going to be too much, so it's been split into 3 volumes (the others due in late 2010 and 2011). The last volume will bear Jordan's working title for the last book, A Memory of Light.
I got into this series about 10 years ago. My dad gave me most of his sci-fi/fantasy collection when he moved down to Florida, including the first few books of WoT. I usually reread the entire series when a new book comes out (to brush up on Jordan's countless subplots), so I guess I'd best get cracking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wheel of Time fans?

Yep, I pre-ordered the book and can't pick it up till Friday, yet it hits the shelves tomorrow for general consumption. onfused

I am looking forward to the finish of this series. I've really enjoyed it all along, including the many, many, M A N Y subplots.

I hope it turns out well.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
kayaker

I was mostly enjoying the series but after a while I started to get really p1ssed off with it. Too many sub-plots, not enough happening to forward the main story and Jordan's writing style in the series kind of bugs me.

I think I will wait until the last of the books are out then try reading it again from the start.

Terry Goodkind's series was like that for me too. Gave up after several books and may go back to it when the series is complete.

Thanks for the update though. It's nice to know the series will be completed at some point.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I have the first book in the series and maybe read 100 pages of it before giving up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

Terry Goodkind's series was like that for me too. Gave up after several books and may go back to it when the series is complete.

Thanks for the update though. It's nice to know the series will be completed at some point.
The SOT series is finished. GO OUT AND READ THEM!! LOL.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I have the first book in the series and maybe read 100 pages of it before giving up.

The SOT series is finished. GO OUT AND READ THEM!! LOL.
hmmmm.... In that case, I'll have to figure what books I need to finish off the series. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
hmmmm.... In that case, I'll have to figure what books I need to finish off the series. Thanks for the update.
I'd skip Pillars of Creation and head right into Naked Empire.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Jordan had some issues, I think. Aes Sedai have to do their tests in the nude, and there seems to be an awful lot of spanking.
I think it's a given that Rand will defeat the Dark One, completing the cycle. The real question is, who killed Asmodean?
As for Sword of Truth, I enjoyed the first few books, but found a lot of similarities to WoT: Rand/ Richard, Aes Sedai/Sisters of the Light, Moiraine/Kahlan. I've also been watching Legend of the Seeker. Entertaining, but varies widely from Wizard's First Rule.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Been faithfully reading this series since the very first book was written. I was living in Charleston, SC at the time, and I remember meeting RJ at a "signing." Except it wasn't much of a signing. He was pretty much sitting at a table by himself in the bookstore, waiting for people to come talk to him.

Fast forward through the years, and I'm glad to say that I had attended a number of signings that just seemed to grow and grow in size. I attribute a lot of his fan base to the growth of the Internet and various usergroups, forums, etc., that spawned to discuss these books.

Nothing like that first mano a mano signing, though!

I'll be getting my copy as soon as I can. Hopefuly Sanderson does it justice.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Been faithfully reading this series since the very first book was written. I was living in Charleston, SC at the time, and I remember meeting RJ at a "signing." Except it wasn't much of a signing. He was pretty much sitting at a table by himself in the bookstore, waiting for people to come talk to him.

Fast forward through the years, and I'm glad to say that I had attended a number of signings that just seemed to grow and grow in size. I attribute a lot of his fan base to the growth of the Internet and various usergroups, forums, etc., that spawned to discuss these books.

Nothing like that first mano a mano signing, though!

I'll be getting my copy as soon as I can. Hopefuly Sanderson does it justice.
It's really cool that you got to meet the guy before he really hit it huge. And just think, you're one of the people that made it happen.

I too hope Sanderson does it justice. *crosses fingers*
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I too hope Sanderson does it justice. *crosses fingers*
I wonder if he can actually make Nynaeve likable...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I wonder if he can actually make Nynaeve likable...
Posted via Mobile Device
<--- sniffs and tugs braid at Kreth

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Picked The Gathering Storm up tonight (40% off at Borders with a rewards card). Sweet did his usual craptacular job with the cover illustration. There's a nice forward by Sanderson. I think I might hit encyclopaedia-wot.org and read the synopses rather than wait to read through the entire series again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

I picked mine up tonight too. Yeah, that dust jacket ain't exactly my favorite, that's for sure, but I haven't really liked any of them so far.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Kreth
Ronin smoker

I swear the guy hasn't drawn Rand the same way twice. I'd almost rather have the Harlequin romance cover they did for A Crown of Swords (aka The Passion of the Dragon).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

I thought Jordan's wife was going to be the one finishing the series from his notes?

Anyway, I'll have to go out and pick this up, if only to see how it compares to the sprawling monstrosity that is the Wheel of Time so far...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
I thought Jordan's wife was going to be the one finishing the series from his notes?
I know she was involved (along with the publisher) in selecting Sanderson to finish the series. I kinda feel bad for him. He's been a fan of the series since his teens, and now he has to finish it. Talk about a spoiler!
Quote:
Anyway, I'll have to go out and pick this up, if only to see how it compares to the sprawling monstrosity that is the Wheel of Time so far...
Hardcover weighs in at 783 pages, actually a little light compared to some recent books in the series.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I know she was involved (along with the publisher) in selecting Sanderson to finish the series. I kinda feel bad for him. He's been a fan of the series since his teens, and now he has to finish it. Talk about a spoiler!
Hey, I would feel honored if I were him. Probably be very good for the sales of his other books as well, since I would guess a lot of the WoT fans will give him a real try if they like what he does with them. I would guess he is also splitting royalties at the very least on the WoT books.

Quote:
Hardcover weighs in at 783 pages, actually a little light compared to some recent books in the series.
A bit longer than the last few. Knife of Dreams was 761, Crossroads of Twilight - 680, and Winter's Heart - 656. Not sure how page counts change between hard and soft cover, but those are the only three I have in hard. Honestly, I was little afraid when I heard that Jordan decided to do everything else in one massive book. I pictured this absurd 2500 page volume, and me trying to carry it on the train...
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Hey, I would feel honored if I were him. Probably be very good for the sales of his other books as well, since I would guess a lot of the WoT fans will give him a real try if they like what he does with them. I would guess he is also splitting royalties at the very least on the WoT books.
I'm sure it will help his career. As a fan, it's got to be a bit of a downer. "Here's how it ends, now go write it."
Quote:
A bit longer than the last few. Knife of Dreams was 761, Crossroads of Twilight - 680, and Winter's Heart - 656. Not sure how page counts change between hard and soft cover, but those are the only three I have in hard. Honestly, I was little afraid when I heard that Jordan decided to do everything else in one massive book. I pictured this absurd 2500 page volume, and me trying to carry it on the train...
Fires of Heaven and Path of Daggers were the two I was thinking of. I have both in paperback. FoH is just under 1k, PoD is just over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

I pre-ordered mine. Still waiting for it to show up. There are two more after this one, right?
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnold25 View Post
I pre-ordered mine. Still waiting for it to show up. There are two more after this one, right?
That's what I've heard - final "book" to be split into 3 parts. I just got mine last night and haven't had much chance to read it. Tonight though I'll sit down with a pipe and dive in.