Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default $180 for eye drops...

My eye doctor is insane. Gave me a sample bottle of Lastacaft eyedrops. Told me they were a prescription but were pretty reasonably priced. So I gave em a shot, the last week and half my eyes have never felt better. So I gave him a call today to get a prescription sent in for a bottle. Got to Walgreens tonight and the lady asked me if I wanted to put it on medical insurance, and I was like what? And she told me it's $179 without any insurance... My jaw almost hit the counter.... $179 for a 3mL bottle of the stuff, that's about 0.1 oz of liquid. So I gave her my insurance card and she says "That brings it down to $126, that looks much better." Is that lady high? Seriously? How is 126 bucks for a tiny ass vial of eye drops better? Are these people made of money or something? I can't believe that....

So, any of you have problems with eye allergies and know a better cheaper alternative? Since apparently my eye doctor is clearly out of his mind.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: $180 for eye drops...

Wow! No not for eye drops. I use Flonase and it works very well.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife uses Flonase as well and works like a champ.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Just googled that Flonase, says it's a Nasal spray, is that the same stuff? I don't have any nasal issues, just eye allergies. Just curious if what I'm looking at is the right stuff.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Derrick...yes, it's nasal stuff. Clears my wife right up from allergies. If it's only your eyes...might not be the thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Just googled that Flonase, says it's a Nasal spray, is that the same stuff? I don't have any nasal issues, just eye allergies. Just curious if what I'm looking at is the right stuff.
Have you tried a general allergie medicine like Zyrtec?

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Do not spray Flonase in your eyes. Ever.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Did you think to ask your doctor about over the counter remedies that you could try?

Optive is an OTC that is primarily for dry eye, but it works well for many with eye allergies wherein a protective barrier makes a difference. No idea if it will work for you. If I knew what an eye allergy was - allergic to eyes? - then maybe I could help more.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Did you think to ask your doctor about over the counter remedies that you could try?

Optive is an OTC that is primarily for dry eye, but it works well for many with eye allergies wherein a protective barrier makes a difference. No idea if it will work for you. If I knew what an eye allergy was - allergic to eyes? - then maybe I could help more.
That was my first thought. No shame in saying you don't want to spend the cash on the prescription he set up.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post

That was the first thing I asked him, I've dealt with prescription stuff before and it's no fun trying to fill one when you run out suddenly and no where has any.

He said that there was medicine, but they all had very mixed results and none of them worked very well. He said the drops were cheaper and way better.

So clearly he is hugely mistaken about the price of the eye drops, because if a box of pills cost 180 bucks, I won't be paying for those either.

Also my exact condition in my eyes is called Allergic conjunctivitis, and it's not as rare as you would think it might be, it's actually rather common. When I go outside in the summer/fall I start to form small bumps under my eyelids. I've always had it but just dealt with it, well the unusual weather we have been having this year has clearly sparked something different with my allergies this year and I've been getting it so badly I can hardly see by the end of a day of work.

Wish I could find something that might make it better, life sucks when you're blind as a bat and in pain.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried an online source? Can you get from Canada or Mexico? Is this a temporary solution or do you plan to take this perscription for a long time?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

I manage Pharmacists for a living, I will reach out to the staff and find some alternatives for you.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Have Dry Eyes Because Of Insufficient Tear Production. I Use Allergan Gel Eye Drops For $5/ Bottle 2X/Day From WalMart. Good Luck!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I was thinking a glycerin solution laced with a little lidocaine and tincture of opium may work well, and be relatively cheap.
Of course, results may vary, IANAP and all that.

Wait, to we have the double winky for this specific situation?

What are your eyes worth? How cheap do you want to be to reduce your comfort and possible efficacy?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I use artificial tears to keep my eyes rinsed out. As soon as I get that gritty, sticky feeling, I rinse out the crap that causes the reaction, and voila, no misery.
I have bottles of the stuff everywhere so there's always one within reach, waiting to do it's thing. When it gets bad out I just keep one in my pocket.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
ironchefscott
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: scott
Trading: (5)
HUpmann
ironchefscott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Wife uses Flonase as well and works like a champ.
I have to pay 120 a month for my 2 bottles of flonase for my sinus polyups. Yikes!
ironchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

make no mistake, the medical racket in this country hides behind this BS veil of "the best in the world" but they
are nothing but thieves and carpet baggers. Those who swore the Hippocratic Oath have a pass in my mind,
but a great many of those had their fingers crossed behind their backs near as I can tell. But the drug cos
and insurance cos use that "best in the world" BS as an excuse to rob people blind...they would claim to be
part of the "best" umbrella, and they are the best at something, alright, just not something you or I would
approve of.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote