Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally, the BIG GREEN EGG IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE!!

Ian for the rub. http://texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html If you wanna try some first I can give you some. Let me know when you need charcoal I found a place in Milford that sells Royal Oak lumb charcoal.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #22
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The Royal Oak is definitely good, especially for the price, just have to watch the country of origin on the bags. Not all of it is the US made stuff like the BGE lump.
Very true. I bought the Brazil version a few years ago at a BBQ store. It sparked liked a fireworks show.
All of it at WalMart (that I have ever seen, anyway) is the US made stuff.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #23
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Yep, this is what I use.

Funny story... a couple of years ago it was rumored that Walmart was no longer going to carry RO lump. I bought every bag at three different Walmarts and ended up with about a pallet all together. Obviously, the rumor was false!!!! I don't use lump in my big cooker, but I do use my Eggs quite a bit. Still, I have probably 15 bags up in the rafters of the barn
Yeah, I went through that around easter. I could not find it at any stores so when I did finally find it, I loaded up 25 bags. I hope I can find it again in a few months.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Egg was picked up today!!

Got the box back to the house this evening and spent some time putting together the stand and the egg itself. It's all ready to rock! Afterwards I went out and picked up a cover for it, a few bags of wood chunks (hickory, oak, and cherry), and a 9lb bone in pork shoulder.

I put the rub together once I got home and everything thing is ready to go. My meat thermometer should arrive tomorrow in the mail. I'm going to prep the shoulder, put the rub on it and wrap it in plastic tomorrow night and let it sit in the fridge until Friday evening when I start the egg up for the first time. I'll be sure to take and post some pictures of the process for everyone! Here's to hoping my first cook comes out ok!

SmokinGator has been very helpful thus far. Any other advice is welcomed. I plan on using Cherry wood as has been recommended by many I've talked to. This cook looks to be around 13-14 hours, but we'll see how it goes. Plan on putting it on Friday evening then waking up early Saturday morning to foil wrap it and keep it going until it's ready to go at which point I'll be throwing it in a cooler wrapped in a towel until lunch time around 3pm Saturday.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Congrats!

I am sure you found this place already, but just in case.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/categories/all
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

And here I thought this was about Balut! Congrats!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Question, I'm going to be cooking this overnight while I sleep. I plan on starting around 7pm or so, but if possible, don't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night to add more charcoal. Obviously I'll fill it up with charcoal, and was planning on using a triple torch lighter at the bottom to light the charcoal. Once it hits between 200 and 225, I'm going to apply a few Cherry chunks and put the meat on. Does this sound right, or should I be using a different method to ensure it cooking all night?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

If you had a WSM, you could use the minion method and cook for 12+ hours without having to add more. With the BGE, I don't know.

To light, I recommend a charcoal chimney. You'll never go back any other way.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

I found a page that gives great advice on methods of lighting. Looks like I'm good to go!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #30
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Picture time this morning Ian!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #31
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Well here we go!

First picture is a pic of the whole set up. I chose an original release El Cobre thanks to Dave Wagner, VP of Sales at Oliva, then the George T Stagg because it's Brian McGee of Torano's favorite bourbon. These two are some of the biggest foodies I know, so I figured it was only right to honor them in my first cook!

Pictures when I take it off tomorrow will follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokingsetup.jpg (107.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg smoking meat.jpg (105.2 KB, 274 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #32
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Looks great Ian. amazing combo to start off with as well. Let us know how things turn out. You mentioned on Twitter you found a great way to get the egg started, how'd it work ? I usually use a couple Egg starters and leave the lid open for a few minutes then close it and let the temp rise.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #33
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
Looks great Ian. amazing combo to start off with as well. Let us know how things turn out. You mentioned on Twitter you found a great way to get the egg started, how'd it work ? I usually use a couple Egg starters and leave the lid open for a few minutes then close it and let the temp rise.
I used these little fire starter cubes that I got at Lowes. I put two in the middle of the charcoal and lit them. They worked well, but they both burned pretty hot making stabilizing the egg a little harder than expected. I lit them, left the egg open for a few minutes, then closed it and it shot up to almost 500 degrees, so it was a little playing around with it, but I eventually stabilized it. Either way, it's all good now.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I used these little fire starter cubes that I got at Lowes. I put two in the middle of the charcoal and lit them. They worked well, but they both burned pretty hot making stabilizing the egg a little harder than expected. I lit them, left the egg open for a few minutes, then closed it and it shot up to almost 500 degrees, so it was a little playing around with it, but I eventually stabilized it. Either way, it's all good now.
The biggest issue I've had with mine has been how long it takes to get to temp. Avg 35-40 minutes. I've heard that parafin starters are good as well.

How the meat turn out? ?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #35
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Unreal. Only negative was that out of 9.5 lbs, I only had one sandwich and a few bites of another. The rest went faster than I could blink. It was a huge hit and everyone loved it. Plan on doing another one sooner than later, than's for sure. Brent's help through email leading up to the cook was invaluable. Can't wait to fire this bad boy up again. Thinking of doing steaks next, and possibly a prime rib around Christmas, but I'm sure there will be plenty cooked between now and XMas, lol.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #36
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
If you had a WSM, you could use the minion method and cook for 12+ hours without having to add more. With the BGE, I don't know.

To light, I recommend a charcoal chimney. You'll never go back any other way.
I use the minion method. Also, if I am doing a long cook, I will completely clean out the BGE and take the time to stack the charcoal right with the biggest pieces at the bottom.

Chimneys are hard for me with a BGE since you have to dump it down so deep. I always get burned. I get the strike-a-fire starters and they work fantastic. They are the same as the BGE starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
The biggest issue I've had with mine has been how long it takes to get to temp. Avg 35-40 minutes. I've heard that parafin starters are good as well.

How the meat turn out? ?
35-40 mins sounds like a long time. are you talking about stabilizing for a long cook or just firing it u for everyday cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Unreal. Only negative was that out of 9.5 lbs, I only had one sandwich and a few bites of another. The rest went faster than I could blink. It was a huge hit and everyone loved it. Plan on doing another one sooner than later, than's for sure. Brent's help through email leading up to the cook was invaluable. Can't wait to fire this bad boy up again. Thinking of doing steaks next, and possibly a prime rib around Christmas, but I'm sure there will be plenty cooked between now and XMas, lol.
OH YEAH!!! Congrats on the first cook. Looks like it went very well. wait until you put the plate setter on and cook a pizza on a stone.