Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Opus X xXx - Power Ranger

It been a long while since I've smoked anything from the Dominican Republic. My preferences have been moving away from Dominican smokes, and I just wanted to give them another shot. I've got a bunch of Opus's that I've been accruing, and decided to roast one up.

Pre-light draw was a bit tight, but I got whacked with spice before it was even lit up.

After lighting, the first few seconds were amazing. Some cigars need to warm up, this needed no time. I immediately got tons of pepper. Wow, I was surprised. After the immediate shock of the pepper, a deep raisin, or even molasses flavor dominated the finish. Rich and full flavored. At this point, I was loving the smoke.

Within an inch of lighting, I noticed a split in the wrapper beginning to develop. Funny, this happened with my last Opus. The burn also began to go a bit crooked. I struggled with it for a few minutes before deciding to go ahead and do some manual repairs. Tried to straiten the burn with a lighter. As I was doing my repairs and smoking the cigar, I noticed it wasn't putting out the volume of smoke that it was earlier. The spice disappeared, the raisin flavors were gone, I was struggling with the burn; not what I was hoping for.

There was a considerable amount of nicotine in the smoke and I did get a bit of a buzz. But without those full rich flavors that the smoke started out with, it was just flat. This is how I remember my last opus X to be, but at least this one had some excitement at the beginning.

The rest of the smoke involved me going through every technique I know to straiten or fix the burn, but I struggled with it right up to the end. It did smoke slowly, but slowly in a bad way. Like it just wasn't lit well enough. And it never regained it's beginning flavors. I smoked it down to about 1.5" only because it was an Opus X, not because I was enjoying it.

Well, I was hoping to be able to eat my words and say this was a great cigar. If it had stayed on it's original track, it would've been a 9.5. But it didn't and I'm not sure I could even fairly rate it considering the great original flavors and terrible construction issues.

My conclusion... I'll have try it all over again.

Last edited by Footbag; 03-26-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
nozero

Default Re: Opus X xXx - Power Ranger

Hope your next try turns out better! I have yet to pick one of these up, mostly because I've not found one in stock yet!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear that such a $$$ smoke wasn't up to par. I definitely think that Opus Xs should be held to a higher standard than most other smokes because of their price and (supposed) scarcity. Personally every one I've smoked has been top-notch in flavor and construction.

oh if only AF would quit bullsh*ting around and just make more of these. I'd buy them. I love some good Dominican tobacco. I just refuse to run all over town hunting these down.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear you had some burn problems. I've never had any problems with them. I love power rangers.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Cigary

I feel your pain. I, too have been saving up on my Opus cigars and the Power Ranger is one I had about 4 of and smoked one 2 months ago and another one last month. Both of these cigars did the exact same thing you talked about. I still love Opus but the Power Rangers have a definite issue with them. You aren't the only one to have this quality problem,,,it seems to be a reoccuring issue.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Wow. Too bad it turned so quickly. I'm surprised to hear about the problems with the Power Rangers because Fuente cigars are usually well constructed. I would definitely be ticked off because of how much they cost. Well, at least you were able to enjoy part of it.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
sqlcdzx

Default Water pipes

I am thinking about buying some wholesale water pipes from this company in China www.Iamaspamming DB.com
but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?

Last edited by icehog3; 03-30-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spam
Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqlcdzx View Post
I am thinking about buying some wholesale water pipes from this company in China www.Iamaspamming DB.com

but I am not sure if they are legal to bring in to the states? What are the laws on water pipes, bongs, and pipes?

Holy threadjack batman!!!

This troll has the same post in a different thread, so this is his first and second post. Mods?

Last edited by icehog3; 03-30-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: found more information
Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
Punchlover

Hope your next one is a lot better, thanks for the review
Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Wanger

That sucks! Powere Ranger are just that...powerful!!! One of the strongest Opus out there. I'd expect to get a nicotine buzz even from an aged one.

As for your burn issues, Opus do better at lower RHs. The wrapper is rather thick, so at those lower RH (62-65%), they will burn much cleaner and straighter. Hopefully the next one(s) you smoke will have better results.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

I do keep all of my smokes at 65%. I'm going away for the weekend, but am going to give it another shot next week. Probably post a review of that one.

And most fortunately, thanks to a great BOTL, I got these at or below MSRP in a WTS on our former board. So I'm not really sweating the price.

Last edited by Footbag; 03-27-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
oh if only AF would quit bullsh*ting around and just make more of these. I'd buy them. I love some good Dominican tobacco. I just refuse to run all over town hunting these down.

I totally agree. I've smoked a few now and loved their flavor. However, the only place I seem capable of finding them is here on CA from the WTS thread. I found some once in a B&M.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqlcdzx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff x View Post
Holy threadjack batman!!!
Hahahahaha, awesome.

You know, Adam, I thought I had one of these on Saturday. It was my first Opus but it turns out it was a Perfecxion No.4 (5 3/16" x 43) and I really enjoyed it. I've got a Power Ranger resting so I look forward to seeing if I experience the same issues you did but hope not to. The burn on the No. 4 was razor-sharp all the way to the end. The best I've ever had, as far as burn goes. Maybe I'm just getting better with my mad lighting skillz. Flavor was good & consistent, not so much spicy but definitely good.

Thanks for your review! Hope the next one is better!

Last edited by icehog3; 03-30-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

I do have to say that based on the initial flavors, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Of course if my bong shows up from China, I'll be smoking something else.