Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake

I have to give this stuff a big "I really like it!" rating. Sliced in short thin pieces, these compressed flakes appear in a smaller-than-normal 2-oz tin; the flakes will all but fall apart when handled with anything but great care. While it has a texture similar to Penzance, one of my favorites, this cake is milder and far more balanced. The latakia dominates it does not overwhelm. There are times when I want to vanish in a thick blue cloud of oriental smoke and, at those times, I reach for the P'ez.

There are other times when I want a simpler, more straightforward and less profound haze in the room. KrumbleKake shines in my book. The Virginia is there, the latakia is there and that turkish stuff in the background waltzes in and out like the right dose of perique in a snappy VaPer.

My first tango was KK was a good one. A couple of the short (unfolded) flakes screwed gently into a chimney (and later, a tallish narrow-bowled zulu) and then collapsed under the slightest of pressure. The top of the bowl showed a lot of frayed or crumbled ends sticking up. A little compression secured the mess in the bowl and polished frayed ends or clumps off the top; the fill* was left with an easy draw and almost zero resistance. Exceeding my expectations this tobak lighted quickly and evenly, producing plenty of smoke and no shortage of taste and body. A dozen or so puffs into the bowl the kake was slowly expanding and creating just the right resistance to keep the bowl going neatly from start to finish with no relighting problems and only one or two gentle tamps.

Do not compare this to Penzance in anything but texture. Coming from the families of Esoterica and Germain they may be cousins but they are not brothers.

*fill, do not pack, KK. Pack this stuff and your pipe will be plugged about five minutes after lighting up. Promise.

From TobaccoReviews.com

Blender: J.F. Germain & Son
Tin Description: So versatile you can carry a month’s supply on you at all times. Choice Virginia, Latakia and Turkish tobaccos blended and then compressed & sliced for the smoker who likes a rich taste but doesn’t like to mess around.
Country of Origin: UK
Curing Group: Air Cured
Contents: Virginia
Latakia
Turkish
Cut: Krumble Kake
Packaging: 2 ounce tin & 8 ounce foil pack
Strength: Medium
Flavoring: None detected
Taste: Medium to Full
Room Note: Tolerable
Recommendation: Recommended

Last edited by Mister Moo; 11-11-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote