Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #4241
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Went to gun show in Ft. Lauderdale this morning with my son.
Paid for parking and after seeing there was little chance of getting in due to mob that was there, went home.
It was like nothing I have ever seen.
I thought I was going to the BCS championship game or Super Bowl.
Damn, sorry to hear that, maybe I'll pass on making the trip down tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #4242
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Damn, sorry to hear that, maybe I'll pass on making the trip down tomorrow.
Brian, can't possibly imagine any stock tomorrow unless prices where out of this planet.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #4243
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Went to gun show in Ft. Lauderdale this morning with my son.
Paid for parking and after seeing there was little chance of getting in due to mob that was there, went home.
It was like nothing I have ever seen.
I thought I was going to the BCS championship game or Super Bowl.

I went to a local show today in Lebanon Pa. One of of about 6-8 shows that are local within 45 minutes max. (York-Harrisburg-Lebanon-Reading-Lessport-Mt Pocono)Between Sept. thru May I could go to a show every weekend. Turnout was huge had to wait 20 minutes or so to get in.

Prices were high, didn't see a crappy WASR AK under $1500 (wtf these were $169 at one time) most AR mags are $25-$35, cheapest AR was a colt 6920 for $1800, I am telling you the idiots are now primarily out of the market now, I was there for 6 hours and only saw one crappy DPMS sold! The same dealer i saw last weeks show with X6 6920 still had 6 today....

Anyway scored a FN M16 bolt carrier group for $200 a BCM/ Vltor upper for $200 and a nice Condor double rifle case in FDE for $80 and..... 4 gen 3 p mags for $25 each. Didn't need them but what the hell

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #4244
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

I just wish I could find some 223/556 brass cases ammo for less than a damn dollar a round! This is crazy.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #4245
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfanatic View Post
I just wish I could find some 223/556 brass cases ammo for less than a damn dollar a round! This is crazy.
U can. Just gotta check everywhere everyday. I got 200rds of m193 for 90 on dec 27
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #4246
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Biggest gun show in the state is coming up next weekend. I reckon I can get better offers than $300 for stripped lowers than I've received on armslist. Some tools offered me $100-$135.

That's where I'll be come Friday morning with my spare Shield as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #4247
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Put them on gunbroker
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #4248
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Put them on gunbroker
+1
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #4249
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
U can. Just gotta check everywhere everyday. I got 200rds of m193 for 90 on dec 27
I have about 1000 rounds of m193 tracer. I put it on armslist.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #4250
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Biggest gun show in the state is coming up next weekend. I reckon I can get better offers than $300 for stripped lowers than I've received on armslist. Some tools offered me $100-$135.

You might want to hurry if your looking to ride the fear monger wagon with the sale and huge profits of these lowers. It looks like the stupid frenzy is slowing down. Stripped lowers are still getting a couple hundred bucks on average it looks like to me.

And I agree with you using Gunbroker,It's the last refuge of suckers.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #4251
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

"I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I've lived long enough to see the evil in the world"
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #4252
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:

Guess what? 100-135 is what they are ~worth~ to them. Calling someone a tool because they won't play someones idiot reindeer pricing game is childish. Whomever the seller is.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #4253
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
My latest acquisition was a Browning Hi Power Mark III (black epoxy finish) chambered in 40 S&W caliber. Best I can tell Browning/FN stopped importing the .40 version some time ago, not sure they're even still in production. This one was made in 1993 but in virtually unfired condition. Well, until it fell into my clutches, that is.

Have tried out several .40 S&W handguns thru the years, the BHP is among the best imo. When they made them they didn't just shoehorn a .40 barrel into a nine millimeter platform. The slide was widened, extra locking lug added to the barrel and slide, heavier recoil spring added. Those changes make it as pleasant to shoot as the 9 mm version.

The epoxy based finish used on the BHP may not be pretty, but past experience has shown it to be very resilient, even with frequent carry. If you're in the market for a modern era BHP to tote and use a bunch I highly recommend this finish over the blued.

As to the still available new 9mm Browning Hi Powers...

For what it's worth the "silver chrome" (Browning's name for hardchrome) model BHP is also very durable, but dang those can be hard to locate, they haven't done that finish in several years now. The Practical Model is epoxy black over silver chrome, think those are still imported, or at least some remain in the new supply pipeline.

Oh, one more variant surfaced a few years ago and may still be out there new: A digital camo finish. Again, not much to look at, but I believe that finish is again epoxy based, and should be tough.
I was just playing with a friend's browning HP .40 in what appeared to be a lightweight frame and some kind of chrome finish. gorgeous gun.

I'd love to find an older 9mm HP in any finish sometime, maybe even a .40... I used to have one, really loved the way it fit my hand, it was a joy to shoot.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #4254
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Guess what? 100-135 is what they are ~worth~ to them. Calling someone a tool because they won't play someones idiot reindeer pricing game is childish. Whomever the seller is.
I just look at it like a commodity. If you were selling gold, you wouldn't want people wasting your time offering 30% of what it's actually selling for on the market.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #4255
Robulous78

Quote:
I just look at it like a commodity. If you were selling gold, you wouldn't want people wasting your time offering 30% of what it's actually selling for on the market.
FWIW: I agree with this...

you can always have your price or your budget in mind, hell, you might even go so far as to bat the idea at a discount to someone... but if they were offering 30% of the value I would take it 1 of 2 ways:

1) they think they are my friend (and they had better be to be serious)

2) they are insulting me... either by insulting my intelligence in knowing what I possess and its value, or by thinking I am so desperate...

Just my opinion on the matter, I work in a business where we negotiate hotel rates all day long, where someone is in a ball-park its one thing... but 30% is a little crass... IMHO

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #4256
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I agree with Duane. The market sets the price. A week ago they were all selling for $500+ for a stripped lower, even in gun stores. This week I don't see many selling for more than $300. Duane is fair in asking the "market price" for his items. Anyone offering half that is lowballing and should be treated as such. That said, not sure I'd go as far as to call these people tools. My from being on the gun forums and seeing what items are selling for on a daily basis.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4257
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Got my 5.11 tactical belt. Used it while going to dinner. Awesome belt. Hold the holster great while drawing.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #4258
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

You didn't draw down at dinner did you? Bad wait service?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #4259
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Ha.

Luckily I didn't have to. Did it in the bedroom.. few practice ones before we went out.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #4260
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

So I'll throw in my to the ring on asking prices. Most of what has been said already, I agree with. The only thing I didn't see mentioned so far is that we're dealing with a semi-flea market environment here, and lets face it guys, we've seen people hand out some pretty monstrous deals every once in a while, whether it be due to ignorance of the real market value at the time (especially at a time where the value is changing so rapidly), or because they simply needed the money NOW and couldn't wait for a better price. Some folks will take those really low offers, and it behooves the opportunistic buyer to ask. Especially if that buyer isn't REALLY serious about buying the item, but... for the right price, well heck, how could I say no? I have often asked the price of items from people walking around the floor, items that I had almost no interest in buying.. but for the right price, well, everything has its price