Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road
Default MM Cob

Hello all, I am only looking for some information on what you do? So the other day I went out and got a new MM Cob from Rite Aid. I have a few already and just wanted to see what is up with some people so hooked on the MM COBs. Everyone that smokes them seems to love them!?

So I took it out of the package, Smoked some tobacco. New Brand. Smoked smooth but to me was little weak on flavor. So I thought it was just the Tobacco. Smoked a few other tobaccos that I smoke all the time in my Meers and Briars. After I smoked 4 other tobaccos that I smoke and like the flavors from my other pipes, I didn't get the same effect from the COB! Like today I smoked the Mac Baren Cube Silver and I was like OMG REALLY. The taste that I have come to like in my other pipes just wasn't there. Infact there was only a smooth light flavor. Even the Retro didn't give anything extra I then pulled out my old BENT COB packed it smoked it and the extra was there! I don't understand why the old cob would smoke so much different then the new one. Right now I am smoking a Vintage Dr. Grabow 1/2 bent Bulldog with some Orlik Golden Sliced and night and day difference to smoking it in the COB. in the Cob it was just single flavor even on Retro?

What do you get from your COB? I could taste tobacco but not much in flavors.

Also to make it clear, Smoking the Dr. Grabow tonight has been cleaned and reamed and salt treated.. So smoke is like smoking this pipe as new. Most of my pipe smoking is from clean pipes that are not sour.

James

Last edited by WaRevo; 09-09-2014 at 12:16 AM.
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MM Cob

I have never had an issue of not having tobacco flavors in new cobs vs an old cob or other pipe. I'll be following this topic to see if other have had the problem you describe.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I can't help but think maybe your existing pipes have built up a cake that impart flavor to the smoke, whereas the MM is brand new and hasn't had time to develop this.

Edit: Also, I bought custom "forever" stems for mine. They help control the flow better. Maybe you're getting too much air or something. Look at walker briar works for custom stems. Lastly, some of them come with filters. Did yours? This would certainly reduce the flavor.

Last edited by ApexAZ; 09-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

That is a good point about the filter! I forgot about those because I remove all stems in place of acrylic stems that I rework the airway my way. (much more economical for cheap cobs)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Yes it did come with a filter but first thing I do is remove the filter and use the stem alone. At times I will use if I feel it is needed a Savi Balsa wood filter in my other pipes. About my other pipes having cake and most likely Ghost of another along with it. I am a very poor Pipe smoker, Meaning I keep my pipes little to clean. I don't have any pipe with a cake in it to speak of. I clean my pipes to often and even the Stem and shanks don't have a build up. This is one flaw I have with smoking my Pipes. I like them Clean.

Today I have 5 pipes loaded and my Tobacco in the bowls to dry. When I am done smoking a pipe I will clean it, let it sit for an hour or 2 and reload it for another smoke later in the day. If I am in the mood for a type of tobacco today and have stock I will smoke only 2 pipes or 3 but use one for the day for smoking the tobacco. Say 10 bowls is my normal daily intake. Out of the 10 only 3 different pipes if I am going to smoke different tobaccos in the day. Some days 1 pipe 10 bowls. I did smoke 5 back to back bowls in the Cob. Only one bowl must have been packed to tightly because it did get hot. I try and keep the pack so it don't get to hot but only human so not perfect always lol.

James
Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I'm far from an expert, but i do feel the stems need to be replaced to tighten the draw. Is it possible to much air can dilute the smoke? Akin to having a crack or hole in a cigar.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I'm far from an expert, but i do feel the stems need to be replaced to tighten the draw. Is it possible to much air can dilute the smoke? Akin to having a crack or hole in a cigar.
Thank you for the info, I will have to look into getting a new stem for it. I will say one thing for sure. it is a forgiving pipe. Today I have smoked 3 different tobaccos in the pipe and a few times was even one right after the other. The Pipe was dry very fast. I can taste the tobacco as being different then the other but not much in a multi profile. Even after drying some Cube Silver for 6 hours today and smoked in the cob tasted so single in profile. Smoked it again in the Dr. Grabow that was cleaned and only smoked 2 bowls of the cube tasted so much better and multi flavored.. Thanks for the Stem Tip

James
Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I filled the bottom of one of my country gentleman and great dane egg's with some pipe mud and they seem to smoke even better. All the space around the bottom of the bowl where the shank goes in is filled in and the draft hole is level with the bottom. It also seemed to narrow the hole down to the diameter of a pipe cleaner. I used ash from my smoker after reading about wood ash being better than cigar ash.

I have several others I want to do this with, but trying to burn off some of the wooden shank.

Someone said a while back that it takes about 6 bowls to burn that out, but I'm finding it takes much much more than that. I think if I can just get a good char I should be able to just mud over it.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

Good place to get "fancy" stems for your cobs and they are half the price of the foreverstems with the little inlaid dot.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/corncobpipes...&_trksid=p3692