Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice
Default Viaje Skull and Bones "?"

I received this stick as a gift at a mini-herf from Jeremy/homerjay19 (or possibly Jim/KenyansAndBoa) a couple months ago. It's been resting since then, and after receiving another in the recent "wedding bomb" I decided to light this one up and give it a go.

As we all know, this was a very limited release last October, although it may possibly be a standard Halloween release. At 5"x54, it's a little fatter than the cigars that I normally tend to smoke. The wrapper is beautiful, rather dark, and has a reddish tint--I would probably label it as "colorado maduro." The wrapper finishes in a very attractive closed foot. Pre-light, this stick smells strongly of black pepper. The draw is a touch on the loose side, but that's partially my fault for hitting it with the guillotine instead of the punch (my personal practice would be to punch a cigar of this RG and only cut off more if necessary).

The stick lights easily, likely due to the closed foot. The first few draws were meaty black pepper, strong and in my face. About half an inch in, the meat and pepper faded into an intense cedar flavor.

Into the second third, and like the reviews I've read online, the best word so far is "muddled." It's difficult to pick anything specific out. There's some cedar, but less than in the first third, as well as the ever-present spice. There's still a little of the meatiness, as well as some very light coffee and cocoa notes.

Wrapping things up, the muddled character disappeared near the end of the second third. The spice mostly faded away, becoming nothing more than a whisper in the background, while the coffee and cocoa notes rose to the top. There was also a hint of cinnamon. I smoked this until it almost burned my fingers. It was a great cigar thanks Jeremy (or Jim)!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Viaje Skull and Bones "?"

Nice review! I bought a fiver when they were released, and have 3 resting. Hoping to light one up again very soon! I REALLY like this cigar. I've been watching the wts threads for someone selling more.

It's funny you review this stick right now. I was just perusing through my box of old bands and found that one and thought I should smoke another soon.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
lyle23

Another great review Jesse. I too have a couple of these sitting. I've had 2 and what a great smoke. Rescind this made me want to spark one up.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review Jesse...these are yummy!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Nice review. Saving to get a box of this years release. I have a few resting and might finally try one.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
hdryder

I have only tried one with the black skull & bones and loved it. I have some of the white resting but will try 1 soon
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Got a few of these in my humi. now I wanna fire one up, thanks Jesse
Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Great review. Love all of the Skull & Bones. Well, aside from the Daisy Cutter. I have tried to beg and buy but can't find any. This review makes me want to light one of these up right now.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote