Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bugs are Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I agree with most everything you wrote except s:

The article here:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...E4A4D6A.d03t02

Shows them flying at 13C (55.4F). You and I have had this discussion before. I would greatly appreciate the article you cite for the temp of 71.5F. The article I linked shows a constant temp of 13C.

Just as a bonus, here is a good looking pdf on the subject of beetles: http://www.smcs.se/Meet%20the%20beet...mer%202008.pdf

Mind you, it's from cigar magazine. So take it for what it's worth.
I don't actually recall having this conversation with you before.

It appears that you missed the key word "form" - this is something that happens during chrysalis from a larvae to an adult. Not that a fully formed adult can't fly in colder temps. And of course, there are always exceptions.

You also should try reading the PDF from Cigar Magazine that you linked to before you attempt to wave it around.

Look at page 3 under "Temperature is Key"
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I agree with most everything you wrote except this:

The article here:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...E4A4D6A.d03t02

Shows them flying at 13C (55.4F). You and I have had this discussion before. I would greatly appreciate the article you cite for the temp of 71.5F. The article I linked shows a constant temp of 13C.

Just as a bonus, here is a good looking pdf on the subject of beetles: http://www.smcs.se/Meet%20the%20beet...mer%202008.pdf

Mind you, it's from cigar magazine. So take it for what it's worth.
Wayne, in that PDF you cited, under "Temprature is the Key" it states exactly what Adam had said earlier about the temprature at which they fly. Which you disagreed with (quoted below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Once you start getting close to 70F, you're into the risk zone and the beetles have to fly to mate and they won't form wings at temps less than 71.5F, so over that, and you can start perpetuating multiple generations of the lil' bastards.
Quote:
While I agree with you, I doubt you have people opening your humidor, coolidor, etc all day long. I think that some shops which have high humidity are trying to combat the fluctuations. However, they are going about it in the wrong way, imo.
My point was more towards temperature than RH%, but to your point I understand fluctuations from the door being constantly opened, but why does it have to be like a tropical green house in there, with condensation dripping down the windows?

And why is it so goddamn hot in there?!?!?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Had this discussion with Kevin from Winston humidors on Saturday.
He said he keeps his humidor at home in the 63 range, but in the shop he keeps it higher to make the sticks more durable.
He explained that people are constantly coming in and squeezing the sticks and dropping them and the higher RH saves him from losing his stock to busted wrappers.
It made sense to me from a business stand point.
That makes sense Dom, I can see them keeping it a bit higher than I do at home. But did Kevin express any concern about loosing stock from being over-run with mold? Sorry, "plume".

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
That makes sense Dom, I can see them keeping it a bit higher than I do at home. But did Kevin express any concern about loosing stock from being over-run with mold? Sorry, "plume".
The topic came up when we were discussing beads so it didn't head in that direction. IIRC he said he keeps the shop at 68. I had 2 sticks out of the Humi that day, neither was plugged or plagued with relights, but the burn on both was wavy.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
The topic came up when we were discussing beads so it didn't head in that direction. IIRC he said he keeps the shop at 68. I had 2 sticks out of the Humi that day, neither was plugged or plagued with relights, but the burn on both was wavy.
I would consider 68% to be on the low side of what most of these places generally keep their humidity at. Kudos to Kevin for that.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #26
Boss Hogg
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Curt
Trading: (3)
Boss Hogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In a B&M thats "plume", if you had asked the staff they would have explained that to you. Everywhere else its mold, but at a B&M its very desirable

It still amazes me that there are people that own/run cigar shops that have absolutely no clue as to how to store their merchandise.
this is so true it is pathetic.
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
This was kind of surprising to me to see how hot and humid it was in there especially since this is their flagship store for Charlotte. The temp gauge on my truck read 77 out in the parking garage which their store leads into and walking out into the garage felt like I just had walked into an air conditioned room compared to their store. It was that bad.
Must have been Southpark. I hate that store. 100% of the employees there are jerks. Especially the one with the initials. C.C. Hell, his last name rhymes with 'ass'.

I would almost bet you a fiver that they were trying to sell you Davidoff.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Had this discussion with Kevin from Winston humidors on Saturday.
He said he keeps his humidor at home in the 63 range, but in the shop he keeps it higher to make the sticks more durable.
He explained that people are constantly coming in and squeezing the sticks and dropping them and the higher RH saves him from losing his stock to busted wrappers.
It made sense to me from a business stand point.
Alot of guys on the boards believe that places like JR's and Holt's mail their cigars a little "wet" because the time in transit could otherwise dry out the cigars. This got me thinking that maybe a wetter cigar holds out better in transit and retail shelves like you stated above. I dunno if that is true, but it makes sense to me. Also, it is a convienient excuse for a shop with higher than normal humidity.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
craiggory

I've read that the factories put their cigars in a vacuum vault to crush the beetle eggs in new cigars before they ship them out. Anybody know if this is true?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggory View Post
I've read that the factories put their cigars in a vacuum vault to crush the beetle eggs in new cigars before they ship them out. Anybody know if this is true?
I can't say for certain that such a system does not exist, or was not tried at some point in the past, but I've been to a number of factories and I've neither seen, nor heard of, any apparatus fitting that description.

I'm thinking that what they might have been talking about was the aforementioned blast freezing process where a freezer room is stacked, then brought down to extreme sub-zero temperatures very rapidly and held there for a few days. The eggs that aren't shattered by the rapid temperature drop and freezing should be rendered non-viable by the long period of sub-zero temperatures.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #31
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

All bugs SUCK, big time...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't actually recall having this conversation with you before.

It appears that you missed the key word "form" - this is something that happens during chrysalis from a larvae to an adult. Not that a fully formed adult can't fly in colder temps. And of course, there are always exceptions.

You also should try reading the PDF from Cigar Magazine that you linked to before you attempt to wave it around.

Look at page 3 under "Temperature is Key"
You can see the previous discussion here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...n*#post1083303

But that aside, you've covered yourself by saying, there are always exceptions. And that might be what's going on. The life cycle points out "Pupation takes from one to three weeks and after emerging the adults live from one to four weeks." So there could be some overlap but middle of Oct. temps were still below 71.5.

I did find another article though that shows if less than 18C (64.4F) temps are maintained the reproductive cycle can be blocked. http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17686632 But that was from eggs dying, not wing formation.

Quote:
Wayne, in that PDF you cited, under "Temprature is the Key" it states exactly what Adam had said earlier about the temprature at which they fly. Which you disagreed with (quoted below)
The pdf I linked to was simply a nice write-up on beetles in general. I put the disclaimer that it's from cigar magazine, so take it for what it's worth. The author does refer to names but there are no specific sources cited for the material he is referencing. I had to look up through journals what he was referencing. Mueller (whom I assume is David K Mueller of insectslimited) is trying to promote his own line of products. So again, take that for what you will. It also seemed that T.G was quoting from that article, so I posted the link.

I still cannot find Mueller's research that shows that wing formation stops at 70F. Unless this was some sort of personal conversation between the article's author and Mueller. in which case I won't find it. I did however, find that at 20C (68F) eggs still hatched. In my own geeky way I would like to read the article on wing development.

This is most likely the journal that will have that information if any of them do: http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=2606196

Any of you college kids have access to this journal??
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Just to touch on the 80/80 statement...
Aside from the obvious beetle problem, mold starts growing (for intents and purposes) at 80%RH. The marry guy is borderline ready to grow mushrooms in that walk-in. It shouldn't even be called a walk-in, it should be called a run-away.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #34
craiggory

Quote:
I can't say for certain that such a system does not exist, or was not tried at some point in the past, but I've been to a number of factories and I've neither seen, nor heard of, any apparatus fitting that description.

I'm thinking that what they might have been talking about was the aforementioned blast freezing process where a freezer room is stacked, then brought down to extreme sub-zero temperatures very rapidly and held there for a few days. The eggs that aren't shattered by the rapid temperature drop and freezing should be rendered non-viable by the long period of sub-zero temperatures.
Thanks for the quick reply. What you say makes sense. I read about it in Ted Gage's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars, but I totally could had misunderstood what he was talking about.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #35
Nathan King

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. What you say makes sense. I read about it in Ted Gage's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars, but I totally could had misunderstood what he was talking about.
You didn't misread the book. Mr. Gage does indeed make the claim that vacuum chambers are used to eradicate beetles. I have never seen this substantiated.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #36
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
You didn't misread the book. Mr. Gage does indeed make the claim that vacuum chambers are used to eradicate beetles. I have never seen this substantiated.
I haven't read what Mr. Gage wrote, but he probably meant a vacuum chamber with low pressure to kill the beetles. Not to crush them by force. Here is an article on that process:

http://www.ftic.info/pdf/EEC.pdf

Here is what the device Grainpro Cocoon (one of the methods used in the study) had to say happens:

Quote:
GrainPro Cocoons™ are airtight (hermetic), unsupported rectangular structures made of lightweight UV resistant PVC. The simple two-piece Cocoon consists of a top cover and bottom floor piece joined together with a PVC tongue-&-groove zipper similar to those used to close environmental safety suits. Insects trapped in the bagged grain expire in a matter of days as a result of an increase in carbon dioxide and reduction of oxygen.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #37
craiggory

I took a quick peek in the book again and that is indeed the system he was referring to.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #38
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
I took a quick peek in the book again and that is indeed the system he was referring to.
It's different ways of going about the same results. The eradication of the beetles. One uses freezing and one uses CO2 and heat. It would be interesting to know which marca's use which method, as I wonder if either has an impact on flavor or aging.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #39
xlc12rf
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jay
Trading: (3)
xlc12rf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can see the previous discussion here:

Any of you college kids have access to this journal??
Sorry, itll still cost me $45. I tried, though.
xlc12rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #40
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Bleh, just found a beetle hole in a tat brown label I brought home two days ago. Just one, but it looks like someone took a thumbtack and stuck it into the wrapper.

I guess I'll smoke it tomorrow and see if I can taste insect.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote