Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
shane1

Default Vacuum Sealed

When I get my boxes of cigars, they are usually vacuum sealed. Is it okay to keep it sealed until I am ready for them or should I open them and store them in my humi?

Shane
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vacuum Sealed

Some B&Ms store their stock like this I believe, so I don't see why not. The plastic wrap should still allow for humidity transfer.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I would recommend opening them and inspecting them for damage or other issues, as if you wait a significant amount of time to do this, you will lose your ability to go back to your vendor with a problem and request for resolution.

Exempting that, if you don't open them, then they are at whatever moisture level the vendor had them stored at prior to sealing. This could be good or bad.

If you freeze your cigars on arrival, the vacuum bag could protect them from damage during this process, so freeze for 5-7 days, then thaw and open for inspection.

On another note, why not head over to the New Inmates forum and introduce yourself, tell us a bit about your experience, likes, dislikes, etc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Some B&Ms store their stock like this I believe, so I don't see why not. The plastic wrap should still allow for humidity transfer.
True, many domestic vendors store their stock this way and usually the shrink wrap will have some perforations in it to allow air & humidity transfer so this certainly is releasable, but, I'd still open to inspect before the exchange period runs out.

I had a completely different picture in mind when the OP said "vacuum sealed".
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I would recommend opening them and inspecting them for damage or other issues, as if you wait a significant amount of time to do this, you will lose your ability to go back to your vendor with a problem and request for resolution.

Exempting that, if you don't open them, then they are at whatever moisture level the vendor had them stored at prior to sealing. This could be good or bad.

If you freeze your cigars on arrival, the vacuum bag could protect them from damage during this process, so freeze for 5-7 days, then thaw and open for inspection.

On another note, why not head over to the New Inmates forum and introduce yourself, tell us a bit about your experience, likes, dislikes, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
True, many domestic vendors store their stock this way and usually the shrink wrap will have some perforations in it to allow air & humidity transfer so this certainly is releasable, but, I'd still open to inspect before the exchange period runs out.

I had a completely different picture in mind when the OP said "vacuum sealed".

Thinking about it now, Adam's got the right idea.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Is that what they call bag pressed?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
shane1

Great, I appreciate it. The particular box is one that I got a few months ago from an online vendor and it was vacuum sealed with thick plastic (air tight) to make its long journey to me in the US. I think that I should have opened it to check for issues. I have a few more coming and I will open them when they arrive. Thanks for the input.

shane