Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road
Default Hookah

Anyone smoke tobacco from a hookah pipe? My wife was looking at one. Thought about picking it up for her birthday. She likes the flavored tobaccos, and we were just wondering how a hookah smoked.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hookah

Hookah smokes very cool. I know some people who put milk in the base instead of water to make the smoke "creamier".
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

It's almost like a vapor. You'd have to inhale it to get any sort of drag.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Check out a local hooka bar and give it a try they seem to be real popular especially around colleges.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Hookah smokes very cool. I know some people who put milk in the base instead of water to make the smoke "creamier".
This.
I have a small hookah. The hookah bars around here do offer milk instead of water for a creamier feel/taste like MJ said. Better than infused cigars because it doesn't smell like perfume.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

If you want to try to use milk in your hookah be sure to use a little milk and mostly water. Milk alone will bubble up and get in your hookah hose. Unless your hookah hose is washable you'll have to throw it away. It's best to use very cold water or water with a few ice cubes added.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorestick View Post
Check out a local hooka bar and give it a try...
+1 if possible.

Entirely different experience from a pipe. More a flavored vapor than hard particulate smoke, it needs a deep inhale to get to the heart of the deal. Not a bad thing, just not like a pipe. You also need foil, special hookah tobacco, charcoal and, ideally, a blowtorch and a good baby-bottle brush sooner or later to clean the stinky thing out.

For the once or twice a year I get a hookah jones I go the the middle eastern bar, have a shish-kabab, some rice pilaf, let the pretty lady from Lebanon pour the turkish coffee and, then, she brings a clean shisha and fires it up for me. I prefer this method to actual ownership and maintenance.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

I do enjoy smoking hookah from time to time. Usually our sessions are a few hours long and it's quite relaxing in the social setting. (This is what I'm told) Starbuzz brand tobacco is more for the "American" market for it's much "sweeter" while Al Fakher is more "authentic". I enjoy Al Fakher most of the time, but starbuzz blue mist I enjoy quite a bit. ACID of Drew Estate makes a shisha in collaboration with Starbuzz if you can find that. I usually mix flavors, typically mint with another fruit flavor. My favorite right now is mixing 1 part mint and 2 parts orange which reminds of of Orange Soda.

Going back to the original question, the smoke it'self feels cleaner through the water, and cooler (depending if you add ice). It's much denser and thicker so practicing your O-Rings is quite easy. The smell lingers only for a little while, we've smoked it the house and the smell will dissipate quite quickly. The buzz you get is much different from a cigar/cigarette buzz (at least to me) and I feel much more relaxed, but that's probably due to the amount I'm smoking and the lightheadedness that might follow from inhaling so much. I find it much less harsh to my throat if you smoke in a "normal length session". If you need any help don't shy to pm!
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I love hookah, it was one of the first things I started smoking, oddly enough my first time smoking it I actually smoked some sort of sugar syrup and tea leaf mixture that the head shop sold as shishah, apparently they don't sell tobacco...
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Just saw this. I used to smoke my hookah at lunch and then in the evening. Now... it sits in the case I need to break it out.

Yeah, there are a lot of great things you can do as far as mixes, adding different liquids (milk, rum, etc.) to really trick it up. For me? My standby was mixing strawberry and apple together... strapple

I would also recommend you play with the coals. Too much coal and and it can get really harsh. Too little and you wont get enough smoke. Also, there are different types of coal. I think I currently use lemonwood coal and absolutely love it. My wife loves it, too. She says it makes the house smell good. Lemonwood coals usually aren't autostart. So, you have to put constant heat/flame to them. I would just throw a couple of pieces of coal on the burner and get them started. Now, I use the burner on the side of my grill.

Ok, enough... I am rambling.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
TheatyHannington is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I would also recommend you play with the coals. Too much coal and and it can get really harsh. Too little and you wont get enough smoke. Also, there are different types of coal. I think I currently use lemonwood coal and absolutely love it. My wife loves it, too. She says it makes the house smell good. Lemonwood coals usually aren't autostart. So, you have to put constant heat/flame to them. I would just throw a couple of pieces of coal on the burner and get them started. Now, I use the burner on the side of my grill.
Agreed. Another trick we do is using a cored apple as our bowl on top if we're using apple flavors. Pairs really well with a cinnamon rich masala chai and a touch of milk or bailey's mixed in with the water.
TheatyHannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatyHannington View Post
Agreed. Another trick we do is using a cored apple as our bowl on top if we're using apple flavors. Pairs really well with a cinnamon rich masala chai and a touch of milk or bailey's mixed in with the water.
That's a good one.

Al Fakher is my favorite brand tobacco. Make sure the coal is the right size for the bowl or it will get too hot.

http://www.alfakher.com/
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

I used to smoke too much of this stuff.
Nakhla, Nakhla mizo, al fakher, and tangiers are my top choices in tobacco.
All have there good and bad flavors.

Invest in high quality coals, different bowls (a clay and phunnel), and learn how to pack each tobacco.

That is all.

Oh, and on a side note. Khalil mamoon hookahs are the best in the biz. Their hoses are great too. Either that or a nammor or narbish.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Bought me a hookah because of this thread. You guys are dangerous!

MCS
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Bought me a hookah because of this thread. You guys are dangerous!

MCS
Hope you enjoy it.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Sumatra Samurai
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jordan
Sumatra Samurai is on a distinguished road

I have a small 2-hose hookah, it's hard to find a good one, they're either extremely expensive or really cheap. We used beer instead of water once, it just burns a little more...
Sumatra Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

How does a hooka bar work? How do they sterilize them, or do you bring your own? I don't know that I'd want to use a public hookah.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Sterilize is probably the wrong term to think of. Generally, using a hard alcohol like vodka is used to clean the bowl/stem. Hoses can't be sterilized persay (unless said bar has a washable hose). This is why hookah bars use plastic tips to cover mouth piece of the hose to prevent your lips touching someone elses.

Word to the wise- if your hose doesn't explicitly say it's washable, that means if you run water through it- the innards of the hose will rust and decay. You don't want that happening.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Hookahs are amazing use ice water or as others have said milk.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnorobo View Post
Sterilize is probably the wrong term to think of. Generally, using a hard alcohol like vodka is used to clean the bowl/stem. Hoses can't be sterilized persay (unless said bar has a washable hose). This is why hookah bars use plastic tips to cover mouth piece of the hose to prevent your lips touching someone elses.

Word to the wise- if your hose doesn't explicitly say it's washable, that means if you run water through it- the innards of the hose will rust and decay. You don't want that happening.
I run water through my hoses from time to time. Cleans out much of the grit and grime. I haven't had any issues with it. They are just rubber hoses usually. Right?