Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default New to Pipes

I have been smoking a pipe on and off for a year, but still consider myself a noob. I was wondering if someone could recommend an online vendor for purchases. I have one local shop here. But I hate to say it, they are stuck up snobs. I am wanting to try a variety of tobacco and pick up a pipe or 2. any help would be appreciated. I know everyone's taste is different, but what is your favorite smoke right now???
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all
Default Re: New to Pipes

http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/smoki...pipes?limit=60
hope this helps

if not then try
http://www.pipeandcigar.com/
Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

https://www.tobacco-barn.com/

Also pipesandcigars.com, but the site seems to be down.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I ordered from www.4noggins.com/ with good success.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, I will give them all a look.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
JD11
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
RyJ
JD11 is on a distinguished road

smokingpipes.com
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Let's see that pipe Larry
Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Here is the one I have right now. I have one on order and want a couple more.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

try ebay
Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Here is the one I have right now. I have one on order and want a couple more.
Looks nice. What are you smoking in it, anything tonight?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Looks nice. What are you smoking in it, anything tonight?
I have been smoking the Local B&Ms house blend "Misty", Katescut and some Almondine. I am really liking the Almondine. No pipe tonight, 2 cigars during football.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I'm finishing up a bowl of my local B&M right now (Floor Sweepings) waiting to go over to a friends new house and baptise his front porch with a couple of sticks and some bourbon
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I'm finishing up a bowl of my local B&M right now (Floor Sweepings) waiting to go over to a friends new house and baptise his front porch with a couple of sticks and some bourbon
Sounds like a good time.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Sherlockholms

I usually buy at pipesandcigars, I haven't smoked a pipe in a while but The last blend I was puffing on was the G.L. Pease original robusto mix. Very enjoyable.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

If you can find estate pipes, that's really the way to go. First, it cuts out the break-in time, which can be a royal pain. Secondly, you can get into far better pipes than if you had to pay full price. Many online shops have estate pipes, and you can also try ebay.

Personally, I do not normally enjoy aromatics, the flavoring usually is applied to cover up sub-par tobacco, although I have some around to smoke when the sensitivities of noses around me are to be considered.

Mostly, I enjoy straight Virginias and Virginia-Perique blends (VaPers being my favorite). As they are naturally high in sugar content, they need to be smoked a little slower. Also, as the flavors are not as bold, a clean palate is necessary to enjoy all the subtle nuances of flavor.

Some English blends (w/Latakia) also find their way into my rotation. This is especially true of the winter months.

Am also not much of a fan of Oriental or Burley blends. I should probably revisit them again, but I do have what I like and enjoy it, so what would be the point.

Anyway, sampling different things is the best way to find out what you really like.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another slope for Larry to fall down.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Another slope for Larry to fall down.
Indeed it is.

after finding this forum I am glad I left my pipe at home. Cigars are enough.

Good luck Larry
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road

Larry,
Go to smokersforums.com it is a great forum for pipes and pipe tobacco. Also if you want reviews on different tobacco blends go to tobaccoreviews.com it has almost every pipe tobacco ever made reviewed. Hope this helps.
Jon
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
fatdog
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Marc
Trading: (0)
Punch
fatdog is on a distinguished road

I second smokingpipes.com. Great selection and fast shipping. I also like Iwan reiss out of chicago and cupojoes.com from NY.
Peace
Marc
fatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

http://pipesandcigars.com

Shop out of Albany, NY. Good people. House blends are excellent.