Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Default Could this be a cigar beetle hole?

So I just smoked the first out of a 5 pack Cohiba & 5 Graycliff deal from CI....as I peeled the label off, I saw this super suspect hole...in terrified as I have them stashed in my humidor with approximately 80-90 more cigars....
Please someone tell me it’s just an imperfection either hid by or caused by the label? Also apologize for the big pic but am hoping it will help you guys see detail...if it IS beetles, I’ve only had the cohibas and gray cliffs in humidor for about 5-6 days, should I just freeze them or everything??
Many many thanks in advance for any advice/help provided!!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Could this be a cigar beetle hole?

Probably a beetle hole. Look for the sticky on freezing cigars and the science behind it.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Probably a beetle hole. Look for the sticky on freezing cigars and the science behind it.

Yup, freeze 'em. Even if there aren't live beetles in there it'll give you peace of mind.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Yeah I was just reading that last week but there are a few things I’m still unsure about...
1.) does this mean all my cigars are contaminated or just ones one this shipment and 2.) I don’t have vacuum seal bags, but do have freezer bags, will they work, and I’m guessing the idea is to keep it dry inside of the bag when it goes in fridge/freezer? I’m assuming it would be bad to send it in with a bovida in the bag?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

A zip lock is fine. Remove most of the air. No boveda or similar unless you really want to see your cigars explode.

If the cigars are in the original box and they haven't been there for a long time, I'd just do the new ones.

In all likelihood, there isn't a live beetle in the box. Better safe than sorry, tho.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
A zip lock is fine. Remove most of the air. No boveda or similar unless you really want to see your cigars explode.

If the cigars are in the original box and they haven't been there for a long time, I'd just do the new ones.

In all likelihood, there isn't a live beetle in the box. Better safe than sorry, tho.
Excellent, thank you so much Markem for answering my questions, it’s a huge help and a real piece of mind to know they aren’t all, in all likelihood, compromised....I will be doing spot checks from this point forward to be certain though...
Man, I was kind of just reading that sticky because I’m a new member here, wasn’t expecting it to actually happen to me so soon, I was kind of under the impression that beetles aren’t necessarily a common thing :/
But again thanks to everyone in this thread for your help, it is very much appreciated!.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I always put a Boveda in the bag. Done so 100s of times. No problem. When I take the bag out, I keep it sealed for a few days as everything equalizes.

One additional thing. If the suspect cigars made it into your humidor, it should be cleaned as thoroughly as you can.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

I freeze EVERY cigar that I receive, whether its from a shop or from a BOTL (unless I am going to smoke it in a day or so, and then I keep it segregated in a ziplock anyway). I saw some real beetle destruction of about 120 cigars in a friends humidor years ago. Scary stuff, better safe than sorry!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
So I just smoked the first out of a 5 pack Cohiba & 5 Graycliff deal from CI....as I peeled the label off, I saw this super suspect hole...
The beetle is long gone, Graycliff hid the beetle hole in the tobacco under the label. I’ve seen this many times. Graycliff has had beetle problems in the past and is the source of one of my three beetle episodes, R.I.P. Graycliff Espresso.

I wouldn’t worry but clean out the box by wiping it down with a damp cloth and use distilled water only. Check out

https://video.cigaraficionado.com/pl...obacco_Beetles
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Truth be told Weelock, the cigar with the hole was actually a Cohiba...but yes it seemed a little convienent that the hole was perfectly covered by the label. (Hmmm...)
I made sure to wipe down the box last night...I saw one tiny speck of black that wiped away easily but otherwise no real indication of beetles (from what I’ve read and what I saw in the video you posted...)
Currently the red dots and the graycliffs are isolated in a separate freezer bag with a Bovida and I’ll probably start them in the refrigerator before bed then in the freezer tomorrow after work...
I’m defibitely concerned about them drying out however, so I’m going to take Wharf’s recommendation and send them in with a pack.
The 5&5 deal was only $50 to which I thought, hey, what a steal right? But I’m starting to wonder if there wasn’t a reason they were listed for such a low price (they also were a tad dry when they arrived in all honesty.)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
I freeze EVERY cigar that I receive, whether its from a shop or from a BOTL
This!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
JJKJR is on a distinguished road

I had beetles once but it lasted longer than it needed to because I didn't clean the Heartfelt Beads. The beetles went to the place they could get moisture (the beads) and although I wiped down he humidor and froze the offending cigars they persisted. I finally got it under control and had no problems since because just like Brlesq, I freeze everything I get now, no matter what! So my recommendation is that you ALSO check whatever humidification device you are using because they hid there.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
So my recommendation is that you ALSO check whatever humidification device you are using because they hid there.
*Cue Psycho shower scene music*
Puffing on a Camacho Corojo atm but will go up and inspect my humidor’s humidification device as soon as I’m done, thanks for the tip JJKJR!
The Cohibas & Graycliffs are going in the freezer tonight after spending all day in the fridge...will do another thorough inspection of the humidor while I’m at it...
I will report back if and when I have any more updates...and much appreciation for all the input, you guys have been extremely helpful!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

*UPDATE*
Hey all!! A good Saturday to each and every fellow inmate..
Wanted to provide an update/conclusion to this thread in case any of you were wondering....the cigars survived the refrigeration/freezing/refrigeration perfectly!! In case anyone has the same problem in the future and reads this for reference, I went ahead and added a bovida pack to the freezer bag with the stogies, because I had a real fear of them drying out! I am happy to report there were no complications that resulted due to the bag...
Cigars are now back in the humidor getting all nice a cozy & snuggling up to their brethren...also happy to report that there have been no signs whatsoever of beetles in my humidor
One final enormous THANK YOU to everyone that posted in this thread and helped me through this incident, I am so glad that I found and decided to join this community!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the closing information and so happy it’s a success story! Your now in the elite freeze club where the membership price is a beetle hole at the minimum and all the way up to cigars as beetle buffet items.

The bit on them hiding in the humidification element was disheartening as the dang beetle are more clever then I imagined.

Thanks for posting.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad you had success, Michael!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #17
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Freeze errrthang.

24 hrs in the fridge, 48 hrs in the freezer, 24 hrs in the fridge, and into the humi. Never had a beetle problem yet.