Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
jbonnefsc

Default Tell me about Tatuaje Cigars

So what is the deal? I've seen much about them in passing, but have never tried them. One of my B&M's carries them, both Red Labels and Brown Labels.

I've never had either, but I here talk of them often. What is the difference between the two? Are they any good?

Help a noob out!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tell me about Tatuaje Cigars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatuaje

http://www.tatuajecigars.com/smokes.html

I love tatuaje...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

The red (Havana VI) and brown (Cabinet) tats are very different from one another. I like both, but the browns are some of my overall favorites (my favorite NCs for sure). One important note is the blend in almost every vitola in the brown label is different form the next (if this is wrong someone correct me). The reds are great too just not as strong or complex in my opinion but still damn fine smokes.

Here is a link to Moki's site that has a lot of good info on them

http://www.vitolas.net/thumbnails.php?album=37
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

Love La Riqueza!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I like the browns best. My faves are the petites and noellas. The larger RG ones don't do it for me.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

The Tat Brown Unicos are awesome. I don't care for the red label as much b/c I don't think they are as complex.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

Delicious! I have both the Noellas and Unicas. Like awsmith4 says, they have different profiles, and I'm sure just about every other vitola in the line does, too. Really tasty.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Spect
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
LGC
Spect is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
I like the browns best. My faves are the petites and noellas. The larger RG ones don't do it for me.

I think the only issue with these(Tats) is the price point. I can buy Opus or top end cigars from a different island for less money most of the time. I love tats but tend to fill the humidor with other things just due to cost.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

All you need to know is that they are blended and made by Don Pepin!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Totemic is on a distinguished road

Go pick up a pair of reds and pair of browns (I recommend the J21s if they carry them) and taste them for yourself.

I found the Artistas (torpedos) for the red and J21's (robusto, roughly) for the browns to be my favorite. The latter, I would place, if not in the same category, at least very, VERY close to Ashton VSGs and Padron 40th's in terms of overall tasty goodness.

I found La Requiza to be the least impressive of the higher end Tatuaje blends (it was rather bitter to my taste buds, but I'm not sure if the pair I tried was just duds or not). I would probably pick the red label before the La Requiza. If I had to order them:

Brown label, Cabaiguan, Red label and then in a distant fourth La Requiza. I don't know what the black labels are like since I've never been lucky enough to find one. And I haven't bothered with the white label.
Totemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
dmoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
All you need to know is that they are blended and made by Don Pepin!
Blended by Pete, not Pepin; but rolled at his factories by him. The Tainos used to be on of the best to me, but the past year and a half they have changed and my favorite has been the cassi and noela's.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I forgot to add earlier that the Especiales is probably my favorite of the line, but I love them all.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

I smoked at J21 this weekend and really enjoyed it. I aslo smoked a Cabaiguan and it tossed me over the edge in a bad way!!!
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoby View Post
Blended by Pete, not Pepin; but rolled at his factories by him. The Tainos used to be on of the best to me, but the past year and a half they have changed and my favorite has been the cassi and noela's.
I too noticed a change, not only in the Tainos, but most noticebly by them. They are made better, more consistent, more muttled wrapper, less sweet, but still an amazing smoke. I believe I have noticed this by Regios and other vitolas as well.

I don't know that each vitola is a different blend, I think just like CCs the wrapper, binder, filler ratios, size differences etc... effect the taste of each shape.

how do you find Opus cheaper than Tatuaje???
that's nuts.... It would help if the price point was cheaper though

believe it or not I smoke more Tat browns than any other cigar... even Padrons, right now...

I need to up my CC stash drastically....
Tainos
Regios
cojonu 2003
especiales
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Stick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (14)
SP
Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoby View Post
Blended by Pete, not Pepin; but rolled at his factories by him.
According to Moki's site:

"Pete knows what taste profile he wants in a particular cigar, imparts that information to Pepin, and Pepin uses his expertise to pick out the appropriate tobaccos to try to match that taste profile. Prototype cigars are created, Pete smokes them, and asks for a bit more of this flavor profile, a bit less of that, etc., and the process continues until the final blend is reached."

Which seems to coincide with the story of the Tat Black on the Tatuaje site:

"Together we spent quite some time working on the blend and looking at different leaves for wrapper. The marbled toothy wrapper was perfect for this cigar, rustic looking but with tons of aroma. After smoking the first sample..."

So while it appears he is quite involved in the direction/ flavor of a blend, the actual blending to achieve his vision is done by Pepin. Just smoked an Angeles, yum.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post

"Pete knows what taste profile he wants in a particular cigar, imparts that information to Pepin, and Pepin uses his expertise to pick out the appropriate tobaccos to try to match that taste profile. Prototype cigars are created, Pete smokes them, and asks for a bit more of this flavor profile, a bit less of that, etc., and the process continues until the final blend is reached."

"Together we spent quite some time working on the blend and looking at different leaves for wrapper. The marbled toothy wrapper was perfect for this cigar, rustic looking but with tons of aroma. After smoking the first sample..."

So while it appears he is quite involved in the direction/ flavor of a blend, the actual blending to achieve his vision is done by Pepin. Just smoked an Angeles, yum.
Yep, yep!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
dmoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post

I have been enjoying Tat Browns since Jan 04 and have had several talks with Pete face to face. The Tatuaje Brown label was blended by Pete. After Pete blended the brown label, Pepin thought it was not good because he prefers a mild cigar like the JJ, but Pete created a cigar he wanted to smoke everyday.

If you have a manufacture give you different types of tobacco and role them with out your input then they blended it, but if you change types of tobacco and adjust the tier's of tobacco used to fit your pallet, then it is your blend.

If you don't believe me no problem, he is here on cigar asylum.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
SteveDMatt
I can't think of anything

First Name: uhhh, Steve
Trading: (5)
SteveDMatt is on a distinguished road

I even like the whites which certainly aren't as good as either the red or brown label. The construction quality of the white, while previously just mediocre, has seemed to decline a little in the past year. These are made with some short and medium fillers (not sure of the percentages) which leads to some tobacco in your mouth when smoking and short ashes. They are perfect for a morning golf round, but one after a breakfast of some sort.

The Cobaiguans are also quite spectacular. As cigar cop said, watch out for the strength on all of these. They creep up on you.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

I wish somebody would set the record straight. I have read numerous interviews with Pete where he said when he started the company, he simply told Pepin what he wanted in a cigar and Pepin delivered on the second sample given to him. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

You can't go wrong with either the Red or Brown!!!

Just be careful if you are sensitive to nicotine because these can be a little intense. What can I say... I'm a wimp!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote