Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Game of Thrones Season 4 thread

So, 4/6/14 is the premiere date. I cannot wait for this season. What's so awesome is I've read these books and I still love this show even knowing everything that will happen this year. This is one of HBO's strongest series since the Sopranos.

Season 4 will be based on the second half of A storm of swords. A storm of swords is considered the best book in the series so far. Season 1 was book 1, Season 2 was book 2, and Season 3 was the first half of SOS so now we'll continue on with finishing book 3 this season. I'm excited to see how they tell the story but also I'm excited for those that haven't read the books and what they'll see this year. Also seeing Emilia Clarke nude again doesn't hurt either (I like my women a little curvy) Can't wait for this to start and also for the sake of those who haven't read the books let's keep the spoilers to a minimum please.

If you're interested in reading the books and don't have time I'd recommend the audiobooks (amazon or iTunes) Roy Dotrice does the best work i've ever heard and are flat out the best audiobooks on the market. Just put them in your CD player in your car and enjoy them on the way to and from work. I've found self on more than one occasion getting home from work and staying in the car an additional 30 minutes because I was too gripped by the story. This happened especially with the red wedding
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 thread

I'm just hoping that Martin gets the next two books written soon or HBO will have a problem!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Can't wait for the new season
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I'm midway through the second book while waiting for Season 3 to come out on DVD so I can catch up with the show.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I'm just hoping that Martin gets the next two books written soon or HBO will have a problem!
Nope, there's so much in books 4/5 that they can easily get another 4 seasons out of them. But I can see your point with the time it takes Martin to get the next book out.

I'm rereading the books. Catching a lot of stuff I missed on the first go around.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The next book is due out this year (yeah i know last year we were supposed to have it) but the writers have already been told how Martin plans to end the series as a just in case scenario that Martin dies before finishing them. The writers have also said the series shouldn't go past 8 seasons but there have been rumblings that a movie may end the entire series after the TV part of the series is finished. Either way I can't wait! Peter Dinklage is the man!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Also I'm more concerned with Roy Dotrice passing more than I am Martin. His Character work in the audiobooks is legendary and I can't imagine anyone else bringing those characters to life than him.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I watched the first two seasons and then started the books. I'm almost through book 3 so i think I'm just a little bit past what's been shown on hbo. This book has been so intense! It's a great series.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I watched the first two seasons and then started the books. I'm almost through book 3 so i think I'm just a little bit past what's been shown on hbo. This book has been so intense! It's a great series.
Book 3 (a storm of swords) is by far my favorite. Especially after the red wedding things go full speed. Book 4 & 5 take a slower "story building" pace. Book 5 picks up towards the end so I'm hoping that follows into book 6 which we've been promised more battles and more on life in the north which makes me VERY happy.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
Book 3 (a storm of swords) is by far my favorite. Especially after the red wedding things go full speed. Book 4 & 5 take a slower "story building" pace. Book 5 picks up towards the end so I'm hoping that follows into book 6 which we've been promised more battles and more on life in the north which makes me VERY happy.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dont want to let out any spoilers, but one of the events in book 3 shortly after the red wedding was one of the saddest things I've ever read in a story. Usually that stuff doesnt get to me, but that sequence did for sure.

Last edited by cricky101; 02-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
Dont want to let out any spoilers, but one of the events in book 3 shortly after the red wedding was one of the saddest things I've ever read in a story. Usually that stuff doesnt get to me, but that sequence did for sure.
I know how you feel. During the red wedding I was driving home after work listening to it on audiobook and I was actually yelling and beating my steering wheel. It probably looked pretty funny to anybody watching me. Book 3 inspired a lot of passion in me. You get so close to certain characters and Martin has a knack for killing off your favorites. Not to get to far into spoilers (stop reading!) but after book 5 I'm just hoping and praying for Jon Snow. I won't say any more than that. I got WAY to close to Robb as he was so much like Eddard. Also Martin also has a way of redeeming characters you once hated so he really balances things out too. I hated Jamie at one point to name one.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I just got to that part in the book about 1/2 hour ago. Holy CRAP! "Shocked" does not even come close to describing my reaction. And I'll leave it at that so as not to give out any spoilers.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I just got to that part in the book about 1/2 hour ago. Holy CRAP! "Shocked" does not even come close to describing my reaction. And I'll leave it at that so as not to give out any spoilers.
Just wait til you're introduced to lady Stoneheart
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Just saw this -- makes me even more excited for the upcoming season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ#t=850

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
bruceolee
King of Rants

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Just saw this -- makes me even more excited for the upcoming season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ#t=850
That's funny I was just watching that before I even saw this link. Great little video. It also gave me the idea to ask:

What moment in the series or in the books made you realize that you were hooked to it? It doesn't always have to be a good moment either. For me it was in season 1 and I hadn't read the books yet when they killed off Sean Beans character Eddard "Ned" Stark. I didn't know about George R.R. Martin's love of killing off your favorite characters yet so it shocked me. He was the reason I was watching the show at that time but it seems to be Sean Bean's curse that he always plays great characters that eventually get killed off too soon. Anyways, what about you? What solidified your love and addiction to this show or the books or both?

As a side note I loved the April fools joke that the creators and Martin played on the world. People got violently angry when they read this http://hbowatch.com/peter-dinklage-april-season-four/
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I really enjoyed last nights episode........the final scene was awesome!!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Malakai
The Anti-Dennis

First Name: John
Trading: (34)
RA
Malakai will become famous soon enoughMalakai will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What moment in the series or in the books made you realize that you were hooked to it? It doesn't always have to be a good moment either. For me it was in season 1 and I hadn't read the books yet when they killed off Sean Beans character Eddard "Ned" Stark. I didn't know about George R.R. Martin's love of killing off your favorite characters yet so it shocked me. He was the reason I was watching the show at that time but it seems to be Sean Bean's curse that he always plays great characters that eventually get killed off too soon. Anyways, what about you? What solidified your love and addiction to this show or the books or both?
That was it for me too. I was like WTF how does one of the main characters just get killed off like that. At the time the wifey wasn't wtching the show with me. She eventually started watching it and pretty much caught all up just before it started and was more excited to start watching this season then I was.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #19
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Great episode. I just finished the audio books a few weeks ago and cant wait for the next two. I also hope Roy Dotrice does the next two audio books. He did a great job.

After being accused by my wife of watching the show for all the nude women she just finished binge watching the first 3 seasons to get caught up. Now she's hooked on the story too!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #20
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I caught the season premeire again last night. Sets up a lot of interesting plot lines. Interesting to see how they've diverged from the books. Can already see the transformation that is becoming of Arya.