Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Oliva O classic torpedo

A few years ago, while visiting the Oliva Cigar Lounge/NPU in Den Bosch, the owner of the show, who's also the importer for Oliva (and other brands like Don Pepin Garcia/Tatuaje and Fuente) said he had some old boxes of the Oliva O Classic in stock and he needed to sell them to make room for new stock, so he blew them out for a very cheap price. I jumped this deal and bought a box of torpedo's. These Oliva O classic cigars are made from Nicaraguan Habano tobacco and are the predecessor of the current Oliva O series. Now that the box is close to empty I felt the need to write a review before it's too late.

This torpedo is 6½ inch long and has a ring of 52. The construction feels good and once I release the cigar from the cellophane I see a nice chocolate brown wrapper with a few veins and I smell a firm barnyard smell. The wrapper looks a bit dry though. The cigar has two bands, nice and stylish, not too busy, just the way I like it and I love the shape too, a very straight torpedo. The predraw gives me just the right amount of resistance.

I taste a pleasant coffee flavor with some mild chocolate on the background and something spicy. After a quarter of an inch I also taste something leathery with chocolate and the coffee disappears. The chocolate slowly disappears too and instead I taste something sweet.

Halfway I taste some toast with pepper and cedar wood. Some puffs later I also taste some nuts. The pepper disappears and the nut flavor gets stronger. After three quarters all I taste is a nut flavor with a spicy aftertaste.

The smoke time of this cigar is one hour and forty minutes. The draw was great and the burn was good. The pepper and salt colored ash is firm. The smoke started out poor, thin and a poor amount, but slowly it got more and thicker. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? These are old and out of production cigars, don't think these are easy to find again.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oliva O classic torpedo

Gerat review of a great stick Ferdie!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Gerat review of a great stick Ferdie!!
.....like these too!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great stick. I have a few of the current generation Oliva O's in my humidor, but have yet to smoke one, mostly due to my previous bad experiences with Oliva... Might have to fire one up to check the brand out again.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
RustyShackleford
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review!

Oliva has always been a brand that has treated me well. They may not be the best cigars in the world but always one that is consistent and delivers nice flavors at an affordable price point.

I have always wanted to try one from the classic lines but have never been able to get my hands on them. I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the special S a few months ago though.

Chris
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote