Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Powerline internet networking?

Im trying to get internet to my Mac power PC G4 (silver surfer edition) in an upstairs part of my house and I was wondering if anyone has good things to say about Powerline adapters?

Specs are
Dual 1ghz
2mb L3 cache/ processor
1.5gb of sdram

Currently running 10.5.7

My Verizon fios Router/modem is in a downstairs area in my house and running a line isnt an option.

I dont know the compatibility of the powerline units with mac although I would think it isnt an issue since its essentially a Cat5 cable going through your existing wiring.

Also what speed should I go with. 85 or 200mb/s. I know I wont get those actual numbers but I wont be gaming on this machine either. All I need is something that will load youtube videos and casual internet browsing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Powerline internet networking?

Your comp won't matter for this at all as long as it handles an ethernet connection.

You "may" run into issues if the two plugs are not on the same breaker line. But the stuff I've heard about that being hit or miss was when the technology first came out. Obviously like anything, things might have improved.

As for throughput, get the 85 unless the 200 is only a few bucks more.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Ive read the same thing about the breaker issues and im certain that the rooms are not on the same one.

Would you recommend finding a router that is compatible with the mac and using it as a bridge? From what little ive looked into this It really seems like a PITA. Using third party software too. I dunno.

I may steal a friends powerline and try it out at my house this weekend.

85s are in the 80 dollar range and 200s are in the 120 range.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Ive read the same thing about the breaker issues and im certain that the rooms are not on the same one.

Would you recommend finding a router that is compatible with the mac and using it as a bridge? From what little ive looked into this It really seems like a PITA. Using third party software too. I dunno.

I may steal a friends powerline and try it out at my house this weekend.

85s are in the 80 dollar range and 200s are in the 120 range.
AP bridges can be complicated... honestly if you want wireless just do basic wireless and get a USB NIC with external antenna.

Depending on the location/insulation/number of walls, you might be able to get away with 802.11g, but you might need 802.11n.

EDIT:: looks like affordable technology has finally caught up to the home/small business market. A year ago trying to find a decent AP bridge was like pulling teeth.... now they have options out there.

Might look into it that.. though it's still gonna cost ~100 and change.

This is obviously excluding finding a vintage WRT-54G that's capable of embedded linux and loading your own firmare on it, which is cheap, but not easy.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

For the difference in cost I'd probably go for the 200mbps. It's not that much more and it's always better to have more bandwidth than you need instead not enough. Besides it'll allow for potential future growth that is more bandwidth intensive, a network media player for example.

The other option is a wireless bridge involving 2 wireless routers that are connected together to "bridge" the gap between your computer's location and your modem. I run a pair of Asus RT-N15's to bridge my network media player at my home theatre to my media server in my office. Very easy to setup and more than fast enough to stream 1080p bluray rips. However, I don't use that connection for anything other than media streaming, I have a 3rd wireless router that provides network/Internet access for my wife's laptop and both of our iPhones.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 05-22-2010 at 12:45 AM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
For the difference in cost I'd probably go for the 200mbps. It's not that much more and it's always better to have more bandwidth than you need instead not enough. Besides it'll allow for potential future growth that is more bandwidth intensive, a network media player for example.

The other option is a wireless bridge involving 2 wireless routers that are connected together to "bridge" the gap between your computer's location and your modem. I run a pair of Asus RT-N15's to bridge my network media player at my home theatre to my media server in my office. Very easy to setup and more than fast enough to stream 1080p bluray rips. However, I don't use that connection for anything other than media streaming, I have a 3rd wireless router that provides network/Internet access for my wife's laptop and both of our iPhones.
Can you recommend a router that is compatible with Mac? My Base station router isnt an option. it is a Modem/router supplied by Verizon.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Can you recommend a router that is compatible with Mac? My Base station router isnt an option. it is a Modem/router supplied by Verizon.
http://www.netgear.com/WNDR3700

Works with my Lenovo and my brothers MBP. Dual Band, 300MPBS, and works a long ways from the base in the computer room, i still get a strong signal in my neighboors house.

Not cheap, but worth the money IMO.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Also needed to be configured as a bridge to relay a Cat5 line to the back of my computer.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Routers don't care that your computer is mac.

Only Ethernet adapters do
Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Interesting. Then what is an easy way to configure a bridge?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Interesting. Then what is an easy way to configure a bridge?
You plug in a cat-5 to it and configure it through it's control panel which is more often than not, just a web page that you connect to hosted by the device.

Which is standard for just about any routing device.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

but selecting the settings to make it work that way is throwing me in a tizzy. Too many options to screw up lol.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
but selecting the settings to make it work that way is throwing me in a tizzy. Too many options to screw up lol.
You're looking for something simple.....and networking.. as simple as they 'try' to make it out to be is not simple. Too many things people don't understand.

Even if you managed to set up the wireless network, securing it is another animal entirely. Not that it's hard once you know the terminology, it's just a bit intimidating up front.

I say try your friend's power line adapters and go from there. Simple, easy, done.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

They diddnt work.

Im buying another Netgear WNR3500 and using its wireless repeater function. Im not too worried about securing it. I know I should be but i will be unplugging it when not in use.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

So I bought the same router and spent 3 hours trying to configure it then gave up.

I went back to best buy and bought the 200mb/s powerlines and I am typing this from my upstairs computer that now has internet!

The price was more than I was expecting at BB $150 for the pair of 200s but I am definatly crossing breakers and setup was as easy as plugging them both in. Thanks for all your help guys. Im very happy with this choice.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

according to speed test.net Im getting

not bad

Last edited by Wolfgang; 05-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote