Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #101
JPH
Ted Peffer

Trading: (0)
JPH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I am a cigar aficianado!

WOW... thats not only the most horrible video ever... very inaccurate.... How can someone say ALL Dominicans are mild.... LOL...

WOW... If thats a cigar aficionado...I don't want any part of that club.
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #102
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
WOW... thats not only the most horrible video ever... very inaccurate.... How can someone say ALL Dominicans are mild.... LOL...

WOW... If thats a cigar aficionado...I don't want any part of that club.
no worries, you are an elitist not an aficionado
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #103
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Give the guy a break. In general, Dominicans ARE mild with just a few exceptions. LFD and LGC are about it, IMO, and even they use non-Dominican tobacco to bump up the body. Opus, etc, are a medium, at best, to my palate, so the guy is not that much off in his beliefs that Dominican PUROS are mild, they are.

Although I cringed when he stated there are only 3 kinds of cigars and then proceeded to clip about half an inch of a stick (no doubt affecting the draw a lot in the process), for a beginner watching the video its a good starting point (clip, light, enjoy). I think he only missed one essential point, though, he should have stated cigas are not to be inhaled (althogh I know people who do and enjoy it), but that's about it.

Before pointing fingers at this guy, look at this board and others, I also cringe every time I see a tasting note that starts with a lengthy discourse on which cutter was used (I used my Palio, Xikar, whatever...) or which lighter (my super duper 3 flame torch...). Some with picture of the (expensive) accessories attached. Who the hell cares and just how do those accessories AFFECT the taste/flavor of a cigar being reviewed? There are plenty of beginners on this board, yet I do not see anyone make any fuss when they post or poke fun at their "newbieness".

Do you see restaurant reviews that go into detail about whether a 2 tine or 3 tine fork was used (to supposedly enhance the flavor)? Or plate the food came on, round or square? Anyone see a car review state what kind of shoes the reviewer wore to test the car? Glass being used when reviewing wine? The last example may be a bit off since I do know a good number of wine geeks also trying to bamboozle with their fancy decaners, glasses and bottle openers, but I hope you get my point.

Let's be civil for a change.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #104
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Did he cut off the entire cap? Wow. And don't remove the band cause that's as far as you want to smoke? The band to the nub is the best part. And did he not know he could he could edit out the not lighting mistakes?

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #105
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Give the guy a break. In general, Dominicans ARE mild with just a few exceptions. LFD and LGC are about it, IMO, and even they use non-Dominican tobacco to bump up the body. Opus, etc, are a medium, at best, to my palate, so the guy is not that much off in his beliefs that Dominican PUROS are mild, they are.

Although I cringed when he stated there are only 3 kinds of cigars and then proceeded to clip about half an inch of a stick (no doubt affecting the draw a lot in the process), for a beginner watching the video its a good starting point (clip, light, enjoy). I think he only missed one essential point, though, he should have stated cigas are not to be inhaled (althogh I know people who do and enjoy it), but that's about it.

Before pointing fingers at this guy, look at this board and others, I also cringe every time I see a tasting note that starts with a lengthy discourse on which cutter was used (I used my Palio, Xikar, whatever...) or which lighter (my super duper 3 flame torch...). Some with picture of the (expensive) accessories attached. Who the hell cares and just how do those accessories AFFECT the taste/flavor of a cigar being reviewed? There are plenty of beginners on this board, yet I do not see anyone make any fuss when they post or poke fun at their "newbieness".

Do you see restaurant reviews that go into detail about whether a 2 tine or 3 tine fork was used (to supposedly enhance the flavor)? Or plate the food came on, round or square? Anyone see a car review state what kind of shoes the reviewer wore to test the car? Glass being used when reviewing wine? The last example may be a bit off since I do know a good number of wine geeks also trying to bamboozle with their fancy decaners, glasses and bottle openers, but I hope you get my point.

here is a review of Plates
http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/pla...4we050501.html
Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #106
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
HUH!?

Where in the review do you see mention of plates? Not sure if you're simply trying to mock me, but I'd hope you understood what's mentioned in the review you pointed to, they are not plates for FOOD, they are decorative plates adorning the WALLS.

Are you saying that using a fancy 18 jet turbo driven time delay titanium alloy cigar lighter (prominently displayed in an attached photo right next to the gold and diamond Rolex, which just happens to be there, you know, for good measure when smoking a cigar) instead of a match the guy used in the video, or a diamond and emerald encrusted platinum chain saw hand signed by the entire Makita factory crew and (also prominently displayed in an attached photo, right next to the gold Cartier pen at the ready, presumably for taking notes, I guess short term memory is greatly overrated) to cut the cigar as opposed to a utilitarian cutter the guy used in the video enhances the nose and flavor of a cigar? How so?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #107
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
fancy 18 jet turbo driven time delay titanium alloy cigar lighter

Ooh, I want one!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #108
BC-Axeman

Klugs probable has one.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #109
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I just figured it out....the guy in the video is Old Henry, of Henry's Cigar Tools.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #110
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

The name is plates
Quote:
HUH!?

Where in the review do you see mention of plates? Not sure if you're simply trying to mock me, but I'd hope you understood what's mentioned in the review you pointed to, they are not plates for FOOD, they are decorative plates adorning the WALLS.

Are you saying that using a fancy 18 jet turbo driven time delay titanium alloy cigar lighter (prominently displayed in an attached photo right next to the gold and diamond Rolex, which just happens to be there, you know, for good measure when smoking a cigar) instead of a match the guy used in the video, or a diamond and emerald encrusted platinum chain saw hand signed by the entire Makita factory crew and (also prominently displayed in an attached photo, right next to the gold Cartier pen at the ready, presumably for taking notes, I guess short term memory is greatly overrated) to cut the cigar as opposed to a utilitarian cutter the guy used in the video enhances the nose and flavor of a cigar? How so?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #111
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
We are very civil. Doesn't mean we all agree on everything and for the most part stuff is done with tongue firmly planted in cheek around here.

I'm the one who found the video and thought it was funny enough to post. Not a shot at the "dad" in the video just funny in it's presentation.. cigar description, wind, matches, cut, etc. They have a number of these out there and I think they are produced with a bit of tongue in cheek which is cool. Note the intro where the video is made possible by a grant from a pawn shop. Pretty sure they weren't taking this all to seriously.

It has value to beginners I agree. Let's review:

1. Three types of cigars (plus one) all accurate if not fully inclusive. Hope no one calls out a vendor for selling fake Nicaraguans though.
2. Cutting - many beginners may have experienced difficult draws without realizing that the head of the cigar must be cut, and in that a service is performed for may highlighting the need to do so. In the presentation it seemed of similar value to the signs in the mens room, "Don't eat the big white mints".
3. Lighting - matches or lighters work equally well. As demonstrated, the matches have the added benefit of "flavoring" the cigar if you light quickly while the combustibles on the tip are still flaming.
4. Eco friendly theme in keeping with the politically clean times.
5. Creates a whole generation of "snipe hunters" in regards to a quest for "petite robustos" and who doesn't enjoy a good snipe hunt?

Regarding bling and cigars there is a point to folks comments and it's not gazillion dollar accessories. The value of participating in these on-line communities is the wealth of information shared through mutual experience. We are collectively, through interaction here, an ongoing and never ending course in "being a cigar aficionado". Our tools of choice are vetted.. things like $ 40 blazer lighters or $ 6 knock off torches that work in the wind and time after time after refilling. Things like $ 35 Palio cutters or $ 2 Havana cutters that will precisely cut almost any cigar without incident. Our storage devices like coolers for keeping cigars without breaking the budget are the antithesis of bling. The complete toolkit for cutting, lighting and properly storing is $ 100-$200 for most here. Not exactly Robb report qualified.

All in all we are pretty anti-bling but ... collectively informed and we tolerate fools well... as demonstrated by our ability to get along so well with each other.

Last edited by Da Klugs; 02-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #112
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
We are very civil. Doesn't mean we all agree on everything and for the most part stuff is done with tongue firmly planted in cheek around here.

I'm the one who found the video and thought it was funny enough to post. Not a shot at the "dad" in the video just funny in it's presentation.. cigar description, wind, matches, cut, etc. They have a number of these out there and I think they are produced with a bit of tongue in cheek which is cool. Note the intro where the video is made possible by a grant from a pawn shop. Pretty sure they weren't taking this all to seriously.

It has value to beginners I agree. Let's review:

1. Three types of cigars (plus one) all accurate if not fully inclusive. Hope no one calls out a vendor for selling fake Nicaraguans though.
2. Cutting - many beginners may have experienced difficult draws without realizing that the head of the cigar must be cut, and in that a service is performed for may highlighting the need to do so. In the presentation it seemed of similar value to the signs in the mens room, "Don't eat the big white mints".
3. Lighting - matches or lighters work equally well. As demonstrated, the matches have the added benefit of "flavoring" the cigar if you light quickly while the combustibles on the tip are still flaming.
4. Eco friendly theme in keeping with the politically clean times.
5. Creates a whole generation of "snipe hunters" in regards to a quest for "petite robustos" and who doesn't enjoy a good snipe hunt?

Regarding bling and cigars there is a point to folks comments and it's not gazillion dollar accessories. The value of participating in these on-line communities is the wealth of information shared through mutual experience. We are collectively, through interaction here, an ongoing and never ending course in "being a cigar aficionado". Our tools of choice are vetted.. things like $ 40 blazer lighters or $ 6 knock off torches that work in the wind and time after time after refilling. Things like $ 35 Palio cutters or $ 2 Havana cutters that will precisely cut almost any cigar without incident. Our storage devices like coolers for keeping cigars without breaking the budget are the antithesis of bling. The complete toolkit for cutting, lighting and properly storing is $ 100-$200 for most here. Not exactly Robb report qualified.

All in all we are pretty anti-bling but ... collectively informed and we tolerate fools well... as demonstrated by our ability to get along so well with each other.
And I mean Stupid in the most civil way possible.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #113
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Dave,

I had absolutely no issue with you or anyone else pointing the video out. It is funny in its own way. But I did see some comments as mean spirited and as much as I agree with many comments that yes, the guy really needs to get out more (in terms of cigar world), I can also say that he seems to really enjoy the hobby and seems to be doing his best to hopefully bring in some new blood to cigar pleasures. That's all.

I do appreciate all the tasting notes posted, some I agree with and some I do not, I am sure its the same way for the rest of us. But I do see "bling" driven posts here and there and not that they are annoying, they simply raise a question mark in my head as to the priorities of the poster. Ask a coin collector to see his stash and he will point out the COINS, not the albums they are stored in, which are irrelevant since they do not add anything to the collection. REAL priorities first. A friend of mine has one of the largest and best collections of S.T. Dupont lighters in the world, but he is not running around with photographs to show to people every chance he gets.

Thank you for listening.

Now, anyone wants to create a video to take on the guy's? Call it "Moil's Guide to proper cigar snipping".
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #114
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
A friend of mine has one of the largest and best collections of S.T. Dupont lighters in the world, but he is not running around with photographs to show to people every chance he gets.
Well tell the hoarding bastage to put up some pics. That is a great example of sharing through pics. Pictures of cigars are ehhh. Their beauty is in their combustion. Dupont lighters on the other hand.. .

Quote:
Now, anyone wants to create a video to take on the guy's? Call it "Moil's Guide to proper cigar snipping".
Wrong tribe. Our's would be more like.... How to make a decent enough cut after 14 drinks ....in only 3 tries.

The whole thing is just funnin. If we were with him personally might rib him a little in between handing him good cigars.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #115
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Wrong tribe. Our's would be more like.... How to make a decent enough cut after 14 drinks ....in only 3 tries.

The whole thing is just funnin. If we were with him personally might rib him a little in between handing him good cigars.
a great video
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #116
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

The cigar video is the tip of the iceberg

I love the Texas Hold Em videos, his spanish lessons are priceless

and his kid does a German lesson and gives some... interesting translations
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #117
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Nicest Chris Elliot reference I have seen in the Asylum - an eye patch and a Letterman cameo for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post
I love this place. Only here could you go from Ruprect and the How to Video to Cypress Hill and Hits From the Bong! Awesome.

That video made me feel the same way I did after I watched Cabin Boy. I was looking around the room to make sure I could have 100% denial that it never happened.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #118
Teeznutz
Habanos Addict

First Name: Troy
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
Teeznutz is on a distinguished road

Horrible............Enjoy a smoke while watching the bosox?
Teeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #119
MithShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
that video is a joke, looked like he took half the cigar off when he clipped it
I had to stop watching after that.

As to not nosing it, I can't or my sinuses will be screwed for days and days.