Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #61
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Opening a Cigar Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncigarguy View Post
This would be a problem, cigarette drinkers will crowd out your intentions, I assume. I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette at a cigar B&M before, maybe I just never noticed
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #62
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Should have said, Congrats to you, rather than chiming in with hogwash first, sorry!
Wish you the best!
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #63
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
I know a few that could use less- ha! Good looking Sable in your avatar, I had a tri-color Corgi, little guy blew out both acl's, expensive dogs! Carried him for weeks up and down stairs while recovering, one acl at a time. Must be why the Queen owns them.
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #64
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

As some of you may know the lease negotiations fell apart a few months ago. I have since found another location.

Lease is signed.

HVAC/ventilation system is being installed next week.

The walk-in humidor has been ordered and should be ready in about five weeks.

So all this is finally feeling real. Thanks for all the advice and opinion.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #65
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Congratulations!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #66
badbriar

A consideration to think about, and a good problem to have would be having too many customers. I'm talking about more bodies than available seats.
One great local Orlando shop is Ol Times. On the weekends, you need to get there before 2 in the afternoon to get a seat. They are very popular and are seriously short on seating. Great, large cigar selection with killer prices, just not enough seating. I've seen customers come in, look at no available seats and leave. Lost sales. Most people who go in and nest, end up having two or three cigars and buy some to take home. That's $30 to $100 sales per chair for most regulars.
Another issue is younger cigar or pipe enthusiasts who nest and play chess or cards and only have one stick, but take up a coveted leather chair for hours. Again, lost sales.
Here's an idea for you... Have a domino table in your shop. At Ol Times, dominos age very popular and keep customers there for a long while and buying more cigars!
BTW Cigarettes are highly discouraged by the regulars. Ruins a good cigar aroma.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #67
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #68
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Badbriar hit it on the head. Lack of available seating does cause some to leave. Our new local B&M just opened in October and already has growing pains. It was a full house last night and fortunately we have an outdoor covered patio that the owner is preparing to install roll up garage doors all around along with gas fire pits. We have a domino table and it gets used often. You can visit their website for their 2 locations: cigarroom.net and our local's facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/CigarRoomShoals?ref=ts&fref=ts

Last edited by cmitch; 05-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.
cmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #69
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Funny that we haven’t even opened yet and yes we are concerned about needing more space. Our first purposed location was almost too big. Our current location is almost too small. The upside is starting off less expensive, training my self to give excellent customer service with a number I can handle. Of course we are concerned with the notion of a reputation for not having available seating.

Fortunately I’m already talking about expanding into the space currently occupied by a business that doesn’t really fit in with the “boutique” hotel and has no lease.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #70
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You could charge hourly for the gaming.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #71
Oshay
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)
Oshay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills.
Oshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #72
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #73
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me!
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #74
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

How about a more cigarette focused section of the lounge?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #75
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
Good luck Patrick, I look forward to seeing more pictures!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #76
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
How about a more cigarette focused section of the lounge?
Moses, I just don't have the space. I also won't be carrying any cigarettes, just cigars and a small selection of pipe tobacco.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #77
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
Moses, I just don't have the space. I also won't be carrying any cigarettes, just cigars and a small selection of pipe tobacco.
That's fine, not selling cigarettes.

Charge a lighting fee for cigars or cigarettes brought into lounge that were not purchased there. Charge per cigarette the same fee as per cigar. This will deter cigarette smoking some or put more money into your pocket.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #78
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
I don't suppose they can ruin the aroma of Acids or Backwoods Grape.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #79
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

The exhaust fan is quieter than the HVAC system. I'm pleased with the pace of progress at the lounge.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #80
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Progress on the space is going well. About 5 days behind schedule. Here are some pics of the humidor nearly complete at the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg space1.jpg (94.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg humidor1.jpg (94.9 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg humidor2.jpg (84.5 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg humidor3.jpg (93.0 KB, 259 views)