Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #61
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice
Default Re: Your opinion - Most overhyped cigar line?

Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #62
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO

Oops...Overly-Hyped
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #63
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.
Yeah that's what my comment was for The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #64
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO
This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".

With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department.

Many regular non-forum cigar smokers have never heard of Tatuaje, Viaje or other smaller boutigue makers.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #65
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Behikes are interesting cigars for sure. Overpriced for what they are now? Yeah I think so. They are still young cigars so that's another thing to think about. They have potential to be worth the investment though. I'd still smoke a BHK over any NC. So does that still make all NCs overhyped and overrated? Why yes it does
Spend it all on the Gran Reservas if ya got deep pockets is my advice!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department.
Well said.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #67
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I consider Tats to be overhyped because I flat out don't care for the cigars. It's my own particular bias, and I can certainly understand others enjoying them.
Because of my feelings about how they taste, it makes me roll my eyes at all the gimmicks, but on the other hand I think Pete's marketing adds interest and creates buzz, giving us something to talk about. His marketing makes guys excited that enjoy them, and makes them enjoy the hobby. That's great.
Regardless, I have yet to smoke one of his cigars that didn't suck out loud, or was very mediocre and largely overpriced.

So far as cc's go, I'd have to parrot "Cohiba". I've had some stellar Cohibas, but I've had a lot more less-than-stellar Cohibas. I've had Cohiba maduros that stand as the best cigars I ever smoked. The price is crazy, but I've never really felt I was robbed because I've gotten a good return on what I paid, plus cc's can be hit and miss across the board.

If I compare the hype doled out by Tats to the hype surrounding Cohibas, Tats win the overhype award by a HUGE margin, and deservedly so.

All that stuff aside, smoke what you like. I do. That's what makes me happy, and if Tats make you guys happy, there sure can't be anything wrong with that.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #68
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".
Could've fooled me. I thought it was a, "name a cigar brand/line you don't like" thread...
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #69
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
No blind eye, just saw it now. And Nate is right. I hate Cubans, they're all overhyped.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

A couple more came to mind -
Camacho Pre Embargo - an average cigar that is marketed strictly based on having some (unknown, very small quantity if any) pre-embargo Havana tobacco contained therein. I don't get it - its not like there are bales of old tobacco just laying around for the taking, and if there were, how could they still be usable or not infested with beetles? And the marketing hype has followed despite the source of the "pre-embargo Cuban tobacco" and/or quantity remaining undisclosed.

Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Yeah that's what my comment was for The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.
I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.

Last edited by omowasu; 10-15-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: remove markup
omowasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #71
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Davidoff and FFOX

Just because they have ad campaigns designed to get people to buy their product, and we can't all like everything out there, so I'll knock on them!!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #72
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

I see overhyped as something that doesn't deliver on what the brand is directly or indirectly trying to advertise (through price or the marketing campaign). In this case I can't agree with the Cohiba CC beef here (the NC one for sure). I have had one badly constructed one in all I have tried and that may have been storage issues. Some are not AS good as others but they are a quality cigar.

I came into this forum almost a complete noobie. I had some cubans through the years (being Canadian) but no NC so I was really open to them and set on a mission to try a wide variety. Man, I spent a ton on some over-priced cigars. I threw away half or more of these cigars many more times than I finished one. Hindsight shows me that I should have spent that on CC but at least I have the direct experience of a lot of NC.

Of course this is only an opinion and I am not saying anyone would be wrong by having the complete opposite experience of mine.

Which ones are the most IMO?
Most LP. I've enjoyed the one FFP and a few of the many Undercrowns I've had. Not had a T52 or 9 that I like. A rat is in the humi that I have not tried.
Fuente Anejos
My Fathers
Gurkhas
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #73
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Hey guys..... I have a great idea here!!!!

Everyone that has any of their indicated over-hyped cigars in their humidors.....

Package them bad boys up, send them to one of the troop coordinators!!! That gets the temptation of trying them again away from you, and puts some cigars in the hands of needful servicemen!!!

Just a thought!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #74
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by omowasu View Post
Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.
Cigar King in Skokie is the last place I remember seeing them around here, Scott.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #75
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by omowasu View Post
I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.
I wonder how many of the cigar world (ie: cigar magazine journalists) actually had to pay out of their own hard earned money for them? Sure, someone gives me a handful of BHK's and I'll say they were tasty, which they are.

Price does matter when it comes to a final verdict.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #76
jimdandy
Eat, Sleep, Smoke!

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
RA
jimdandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
Agreed they seem to be all hype. I probably had ten in the last three years and not got one yet. I'm not saying a good Cuban doesn't exist but I'm having doubts.
I don't think you guys are smoking the right ones
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #77
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

NC Cohibas, Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc., and Gurkhas. The American hype over Cuban cigars overall.

Not that any of these are bad lines/countries (well maybe Gurkha and NC Cohibas).

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #78
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc.,
I was JUST coming back into this thread to post this. Tat Monster series (though I believe the Boris was the Actor series or something like that). I was just on another forum where someone paid a premium for a dress box of Mummy's, and the seller had only received shipping info so far. Didn't even have the box in hand yet and someone was shelling out almost $300 to reserve the box once it arrived.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #79
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/3338535005.html
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #80
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I think word of mouth & then you throw in supply & demand those three things have everything to do with it. Now, lets throw in the the word "LIMITED" the manufacturer & their marketing team HYPING it up. Now here they come with all their marketing ploys to make the consumer think "IT's NOW or NEVER" because they are going FAST. So everyone runs out gets what they can get their hands on. The come the shops/B&M's that bump up the price on these & tell us "WHAT YOU SEE IS ALL THAT LEFT"...