Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #81
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tat Drac: Shipping Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
I had a friend tell me he smoked a drac today, and thought the Conoju was better. That right there tells me that the hype is way over played.
Oh, cmon, really? Based on one person?

Based on what **I** know, the Cojonu series is NOT better then the Drac, not by a long shot...

(but I do love a good Cojonu 2003

~ brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #82
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
No kidding??

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Drac's at a TinderBox last night.... I guess it's pretty serious.

(my apologies for ruining the Ferris Bueller quote)

I don't know if you know this tobes, but I'm kind of a big deal

(no apologies for ruining the Anchorman quote)
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #83
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
btw, does anyone have Adam's address? If so, PM it to me
Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #84
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
Oh, cmon, really? Based on one person?

Based on what **I** know, the Cojonu series is NOT better then the Drac, not by a long shot...

(but I do love a good Cojonu 2003

~ brooks
Yes, really. Its a guy I trust, and know his tastes. If he says the Cojonu is better than the drac, than I am pretty positive that's how I'll feel, as we have the same tastes in cigars. As far as "having fun" with the hunt for drac's and boris, thats great. If you guys can have fun with it, go for it. I just can't really agree with the price gouging going on from SOME retailers, and the games going on from SOME retailers. IMHO, the most FAIR way to deal with the Drac/Boris situation is to put them on the shelves or website, and put them up for sale, AT MSRP plus taxes, and sell them till they are gone. First come first serve. Thats just my opinion, and I am pretty sure it's not the popular one.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #85
pfm721
I bleed Orange and Blue

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
pfm721 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
II heard a rumor that they were selling them at MSRP, but I also heard they sold out in like 20 minutes LOL...
Scott
Yeah they were gone in a hurry
pfm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #86
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Yes, really. Its a guy I trust, and know his tastes. If he says the Cojonu is better than the drac, than I am pretty positive that's how I'll feel, as we have the same tastes in cigars. As far as "having fun" with the hunt for drac's and boris, thats great. If you guys can have fun with it, go for it. I just can't really agree with the price gouging going on from SOME retailers, and the games going on from SOME retailers. IMHO, the most FAIR way to deal with the Drac/Boris situation is to put them on the shelves or website, and put them up for sale, AT MSRP plus taxes, and sell them till they are gone. First come first serve. Thats just my opinion, and I am pretty sure it's not the popular one.
Scott
Have you smoked a Drac yet, and do you plan on trying to get one to try, to see if you feel the same way after you taste it?

Just wondering

~brooks
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #87
njstone

Quote:
Scott

As many people will attest, you can't judge a cigar based on 1 stick. Especially 1 stick smoked OTT--the only option when smoking a Drac this week. I am certian that your friend did not like the Drac he smoked as well as the Cojonu's he's smoked. But again, judging that one 1 OTT stick that your friend smoked is, in my opinion, not enough to call the Drac release "all hype" or whatever. No offense, just my opinion.

I've had 1 Cojonu '03 and one '06, and though they were good, I felt they weren't worth the coin to me. But again, that's 1 stick. I have 2 more of each I believe, so I'll reserve judgment. I've learned that my palate can't always be trusted, especially during cold season like now.

Oh, and as far as your opinion on the Drac sales ... that's FAR from an unpopular one, actually. Many have said exactly what you have. I have actually "discussed" it with Pete in another forum, and have heard that he's taking a version of one of my ideas to heart for next year's release. Essentially--exactly like this year's with one major addition: a huge extra allotment (666 or 1300 boxes) to be sent to one store, earmarked for phone/internet orders. This will keep the shops happy while also making the collectors/hardcore fans/brand supporters happy as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #88
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstone View Post
As many people will attest, you can't judge a cigar based on 1 stick. Especially 1 stick smoked OTT--the only option when smoking a Drac this week. I am certian that your friend did not like the Drac he smoked as well as the Cojonu's he's smoked. But again, judging that one 1 OTT stick that your friend smoked is, in my opinion, not enough to call the Drac release "all hype" or whatever. No offense, just my opinion.

I've had 1 Cojonu '03 and one '06, and though they were good, I felt they weren't worth the coin to me. But again, that's 1 stick. I have 2 more of each I believe, so I'll reserve judgment. I've learned that my palate can't always be trusted, especially during cold season like now.

Oh, and as far as your opinion on the Drac sales ... that's FAR from an unpopular one, actually. Many have said exactly what you have. I have actually "discussed" it with Pete in another forum, and have heard that he's taking a version of one of my ideas to heart for next year's release. Essentially--exactly like this year's with one major addition: a huge extra allotment (666 or 1300 boxes) to be sent to one store, earmarked for phone/internet orders. This will keep the shops happy while also making the collectors/hardcore fans/brand supporters happy as well.
Now going full circle, will the collectors and hardcore fans want them if there are 2500 boxes of them
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #89
njstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
Now going full circle, will the collectors and hardcore fans want them if there are 2500 boxes of them
heck yea! I want a Drac box just as much as a Frank box, and there are twice as many.

In point of fact, though, what Pete might do is have only a certian number of the collector's coffins (maybe 1300 again) and have most of the boxes shipped to B&Ms be simple 10-count cedar boxes. This makes a LOT of sense to me, since most B&Ms are just braking the boxes up for singles anyway. Send each shop 1 nice collector's box, and the rest plain 10-count boxes.

End result: more sticks than this year, but roughly the same amount of boxes.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #90
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstone View Post
heck yea! I want a Drac box just as much as a Frank box, and there are twice as many.

In point of fact, though, what Pete might do is have only a certian number of the collector's coffins (maybe 1300 again) and have most of the boxes shipped to B&Ms be simple 10-count cedar boxes. This makes a LOT of sense to me, since most B&Ms are just braking the boxes up for singles anyway. Send each shop 1 nice collector's box, and the rest plain 10-count boxes.

End result: more sticks than this year, but roughly the same amount of boxes.

that's a hell of an idea, making both sides happy
Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #91
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

I like those ideas guys good thinking!

On a side note I just had one place call me back and said they wanted $100 for a 2 pack... I told the guy I got a whole box for $170 and he just mumbled about rarity. That is crazy, it is a $13 cigar and it should stay that way. I can understand maybe taxes or something jumping it up a buck or two but $37 more than MSRP??? That is stupid

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #92
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Have you smoked a Drac yet, and do you plan on trying to get one to try, to see if you feel the same way after you taste it?

Just wondering

~brooks

If I stumble upon a shop that has a drac or boris sitting there, untouched and at MSRP, I MIGHT grab it just to smoke one and see what my thoughts are, but I won't be making any special phone calls to try and procure any. You are correct though Brooks, I SHOULD smoke one, and form my own opinion on it.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #93
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
I like those ideas guys good thinking!

On a side note I just had one place call me back and said they wanted $100 for a 2 pack... I told the guy I got a whole box for $170 and he just mumbled about rarity. That is crazy, it is a $13 cigar and it should stay that way. I can understand maybe taxes or something jumping it up a buck or two but $37 more than MSRP??? That is stupid

aj

I don't understand even marking it up a buck or two. MSRP is MSRP. The whole point behind Pete's Monster series is the #13. To add to that.. $100 for two sticks is just plain STUPID. I would NEVER pay $50 for something that's going to become ash... No matter HOW good it was.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #94
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't understand even marking it up a buck or two. MSRP is MSRP. The whole point behind Pete's Monster series is the #13. To add to that.. $100 for two sticks is just plain STUPID. I would NEVER pay $50 for something that's going to become ash... No matter HOW good it was.
Scott

Totally agree. The only exception may be a Dunhill or Davidoff vintage CC but even then not sure I'd wanna shell out $50
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #95
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
To add to that.. $100 for two sticks is just plain STUPID. I would NEVER pay $50 for something that's going to become ash... No matter HOW good it was.
Scott
LOL you are talking to the wrong guy!

~brooks
Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #96
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

Quote:
LOL you are talking to the wrong guy!

~brooks
Yeah, I know how you roll Brooks! I read your blog all the time! l I think you are definetly filling a niche that needed to be filled! Very cool that you focus on rare or expensive sticks. Wish I could afford to do that LOL!
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #97
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Yeah, I know how you roll Brooks! I read your blog all the time! l I think you are definetly filling a niche that needed to be filled! Very cool that you focus on rare or expensive sticks. Wish I could afford to do that LOL!
Scott
Wish I could too

~brooks
Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #98
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

Quote:
Wish I could too

~brooks
Well, you make it look easy!

Bearded Dad Blog
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #99
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
New Havana lost my business for the way they held the scavenger hunt and pulled boxes OUT of people's carts WHILE they were in the midst of checking out...
For the record NHC did not PULL THEM OUT of the carts. The goal of the hunt was to randomly place them within other Tat products. Inventory of 1 box at a time. It would appear for a minute or so and then dissapear and reappear somewhere else.

The site has real time inventory. What happened is people posted the link to the product thus bypassing the need to Hunt for it. The allowed many people to get them at the same time. the real time inventory took over and ensured that you did not place and order for something that was not available.

The idea for this hunt gave everyone a fair shot and was supposed to make it fun. Of all the ideas that are out there with the current release, I think this was the most creative. I give Dan props for that. Also, one he realized what was going on he took steps to fix it by changing the product code so that you could not just refresh your screen.

So before you go spreading bad blood toward a retailer that has a great reputation, please think a little about what may be going on. Dan and Pete both had the best interests in mind. The fast moving resources of the internet forums took over and botched the execution.
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #100
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

botched execution seems to be a theme..

And was the "scavenger hunt" based on random luck whether or not one would appear? Why not do a lottery and save people the time? Oh yeah, so there can be some additional sales from folks looking around.. Smart from a business standpoint