Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #41
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cigars International

Ehh. Hygrometers are over-rated.
Still sucks that you had to deal with this new-fangled internet -related customer service.
I almost remember the days that I used a hygrometer to monitor my cigars. I tell Superbad that
these devices are for people who just have to see a number and feel like they are in control.
He says "HAHA, that's exactly how I am, cause I worry about numbers and gauges for a living."
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #42
Miket156

Exclamation Re: Cigars International

Pektel:

I had never done business with CI and their CS said that humidors DID NOT qualify for free shipping. I am not complaining about having to pay sales tax. However, there is enough profit in cigars and accessories that they can suck up 6% tax for a box of cigars that cost $150.00, don't ya think? I would have no problem paying the sales tax if they could have matched the price. I also got FREE SHIPPING from their competitor.

When I bought the Humidor I was inquiring about, I bought all the accessories I needed with the humidor so the sale was over $120, so I got free shipping from a company in Florida and received it in less than 48 hours via UPS. Shipping an 8 lb box from Florida cost more than it does shipping it less than 150 miles within PA. But CI wanted 20 bucks.

If other companies can do it, I think that CI should be able to do it. If not, they should have told me what they COULD do. It wasn't like I was beating them up on a 3 fer cheapo cigar special. CI just wouldn't deal.

Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #43
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

With a place as large as CI, I would think their shipping rates "should" be competitive.

As far as if they will deal, I'm guessing either you got some moron in customer service, or they just don't care because they are large enough to not care about single customers. If they price match, then it shouldn't have been an issue for them to type in 141.51 (assuming 6% sales tax) to make the grand total, after tax, 150.

I'm not arguing with you about the shipping. Just figured I would share the link for you so you wouldn't have to even have that issue anymore with them. Hell, I think it's great that I can order a 5er whenever I want and get it shipped free.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

A lot of little things changed at CI after they were acquired a few years ago. Not all for the better IMO.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #45
Miket156

Smile Re: Cigars International

Yep, shipping an 8 pound box 150 miles via UPS costs us (my company) less than 8 bucks. Figuring out UPS charges isn't difficult, anyway, customers aren't stupid. Whoever made that bone-headed decision to charge a flat $20 rate for a humidor needs to rethink that decision.

I guess what got me irritated with CI is they were trying to play games. They wouldn't give me a price at all. It was a run around.

I wanted to add another heads-up to others on this Forum about CI, that's all. No harm-no foul!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #46
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miket156 View Post
Pektel:

I had never done business with CI and their CS said that humidors DID NOT qualify for free shipping. I am not complaining about having to pay sales tax. However, there is enough profit in cigars and accessories that they can suck up 6% tax for a box of cigars that cost $150.00, don't ya think? I would have no problem paying the sales tax if they could have matched the price. I also got FREE SHIPPING from their competitor.

When I bought the Humidor I was inquiring about, I bought all the accessories I needed with the humidor so the sale was over $120, so I got free shipping from a company in Florida and received it in less than 48 hours via UPS. Shipping an 8 lb box from Florida cost more than it does shipping it less than 150 miles within PA. But CI wanted 20 bucks.

If other companies can do it, I think that CI should be able to do it. If not, they should have told me what they COULD do. It wasn't like I was beating them up on a 3 fer cheapo cigar special. CI just wouldn't deal.

Mike
Your being charged tax because you are in the same state and the other company is not. Like it or not taxes are a part of life and being you live in PA your going to pay tax from any online retailer that is in your state whether it's CI, Holts etc. Why would they risk getting in trouble for not collecting taxes???? That would be a poor business decision. Sorry but your tax rant kind of doesn't work in whether or not their a good retailer. Their still probably a lot cheaper tan your local B&M. Trust me I have had issues with CI so it's not like I am defending them because I think their the best retailer but taxes are what they are, they suck period. Also matching to the other retailer that you mentioned may not work either because they don't publish their pricing. I almost cringe whenever I see them mentioned here because they have killer prices but that usually doesn't last too long once the word gets out and the other retailers start complaining to the manufacturers about their price points. I have seen it happen way too many times through the years with this hobby and before long their prices get bumped up to keep the manufacturers happy and we the consumer lose.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I have a similar hygrometer, purchased from a BOTL here. The adjustments are 'touchy'..I had to get used to the feel of turning the knob, it doesn't really click, but you can almost feel it. Then you have to 'set' it by pushing the small button opposite of the knob.

Its been great, I wish you luck with yours!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #48
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Those are the same hygros that I use Eleven. The instructions say click, but I haven't had mine click at all. I do know exactly what you mean tho by the "feel" of the knob. Hard to explain, but I am very happy with mine.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #49
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I have a similar hygrometer, purchased from a BOTL here. The adjustments are 'touchy'..I had to get used to the feel of turning the knob, it doesn't really click, but you can almost feel it. Then you have to 'set' it by pushing the small button opposite of the knob.

Its been great, I wish you luck with yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Those are the same hygros that I use Eleven. The instructions say click, but I haven't had mine click at all. I do know exactly what you mean tho by the "feel" of the knob. Hard to explain, but I am very happy with mine.
I've got one [my first] in the calibration bag as I type. It'll be done cooking tomorrow mid-day. If I turn the knob too far one way when setting it is it easy to adjust back?
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #50
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chand View Post
I've got one [my first] in the calibration bag as I type. It'll be done cooking tomorrow mid-day. If I turn the knob too far one way when setting it is it easy to adjust back?
Yea, just turn it back. You can see the numbers move as you turn. The problem I think most people have is that once its outside of the bag, it wants to start changing on its own.

Do it quick, watch it hit 75 and press the button fast! If it misses the mark, put it back in the baggie and wait little bit, then try again. I think I had to do it 3 times the first time.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #51
Miket156

Cool Re: Cigars International

Neoflex:

Yeah, I get tax thing. However, their price for shipping was out of line on a humidor (20 bucks) and they wouldn't match the price on a box of La Flor cigars. Their "published" price was over 20 bucks higher, they charged for shipping and sales tax. The competitor price was 20 bucks a box cheaper, free shipping, no sales tax. CI wouldn't even consider my request to "match" the price or even tell what the bottom line was on an fairly expensive box of cigars. They tried to justify the 20 shipping charge for a desktop humidor because it was considered "Freight". I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Buyer Beware of CI, that's all.

Cheers,

Mike T.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #52
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

CI's Make Me An Offer program perplexes me sometimes. The prices seem different on those pages than they do on the rest of the site. Also, their idea of a low offer is a little different from mine. Maybe I am missing something?
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #53
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Good to see I'm not the only one that hates dealing with CI. Those little stupid half dollar hygros are toys, they don't click and adjusting those things has no reason or logic. I kept playing with the stupid thing and it finally read close I just said f**k it and left it. Diamond crown makes the good ones, I won't buy anymore hygros that aren't DC. Also I only use a hygro to know when to re-water my beads. I don't give a crap what it is at currently 60-65 is fine. I don't play that dumbcrap selling pitch of perfect 65/65 storage 24/7/365.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote